new shooter new member

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by bob2, Nov 22, 2007.

1. bob2

bob2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all Im just starting out.I know a little bit but not a lot.
    Ive not even got the 35mm ive got from ebay.its $35 dollar n70.Ya I know.But I not expecting much.Ive also have a pristine konica t3 with a 50mm lens.as well as a macro bellows.
    I was thinking I might get a macro lens for it. I may know where I can get one for about $150 Is it worth it?
    If the beat up n70 works(estate sale) should I put the $150 toward an auto lens? or even a manual nikon lens?:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2007
  2. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi Bob,

Welcome to APUG. I'm not a big 35 shooter, so I can't really help with the gear questions, but you will get lots of good advice from others here who are 35 shooters. We're at all kinds of levels and all kinds of process and formats, and we're all current newbies at something or other, so I just wanted to say you're welcome here, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Bob:

I shoot all sorts of formats, and I expect that based on quantity alone, I've shot more 35mm than anything else.

You are welcome here, both to ask questions, and to participate generally.

One suggestion - revise your profile to indicate at least generally what your geographic location is. That way, if you ask questions about availability of anything, you'll get more useful responses.

Matt

4. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi there and welcome to apug.

5. kombizz

kombizz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Bob:

I usually use 35mm rather than my meduim format camera these days.

You are most welcome here, as you might find I am new like you.

good luck

6. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH! Macro Bellows. What you're gonna have. Welcome to the group.

Chris

7. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Konica lens were as good as Nikon, Canon, or Minolta of the day, the T3 is a very solid camera, and any hexagon lens will peform well. Some later Konica lens were consumer lens and labeled Konica as opposed to hexagon so you want look for hexagon. I dont know what the going rate for a hexagon macro is, is the lens a macro normal or a short tele like a 100 or 105? The N 70 will have advanced features such as a built in motor winder and Nikon lens are easer to get. Although Konica make a wide selection of lens, they were not made in the numbers that Nikon lens were made and even 3rd party lens can be difficult to find. But the Konica is all metal and as long as the exposure system works a great camera. konica was one of the first 35mm with build in motor winders, and would make a useful second body. By the way if you have a bellows why do you need a macro?

8. DarkroomExperimente

DarkroomExperimente Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also have a Konica T3 with a bellows & a reverse lens mount

I only started using the bellows recently

P.S. it's Hexanon, not Hexagon

9. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never trust spell check.

10. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome. Plenty of current and former 35mm shooters here who can cover most things 35mm. Here's to your long and I am sure,fruitful membership

pentaxuser

11. bob2

bob2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I probably dont need a macro lens I`ve never used a bellows and dont know if the image quality is better with a bellows or a macro lens.the bellows is a konica (at least it has a konica lable)and I paid $75 for it.I may have paid too much but it looks to be in very nice shape.

12. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Bob,

Welcome to APUG. You might want to post a hello on the "Intro to APUG" forum.

I've shot 35mm for many years (there are a number of us here) and have recently been trying MF. For a "carry around" camera, I still find 35mm the "friendliest" format.

13. snapdragon

snapdragon Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Bob,

Welcome to the group.

I own and use Konicas nearly exclusively, except when I'm in the rangefinder mood and pull out my Yashica Electro 35 GSN.

The T3 is built like a tank. There is also a later T3 commonly known as the T3N (but still bears only T3 engraving). It has a flattened prism housing with built in flash shoe, slightly brighter viewfinder, and a switchable shutter to close off the viewfinder eye piece for extended exposures. These also come up on ebay once in a while and you can see the difference in the prism configuration.

I also have two T4s, one of which I retired after running over a half million frames through it working for a weekly car magazine back in the 80s. I got it from a newpaper photographer and don't know how many shots he had taken with it. The gearing simply wore out. It sits in a frame on the wall in my office, still seated on its auto winder. The T4 has a brighter viewfinder than the T3. Both models can take multiple exposures of the same frame if desired and both have a stop down viewing capability for checking depth of field.

I also have and use the newer models FS1 and FT1, each with built-in motor drive. The FT1 is the more professional of the two. If you ever plan to try one of these, you should look for serial numbers in the later production series. Early models have more delicate electronics which can lead to a failure. The T3 and T4, however, are rock solid. There is a website for Weber Camera (no affiliation) which is dedicated to CLA and repair of Konica cameras exclusively.

Good luck with your 35mm equipment and most of all have fun with film!

Jim Burke (aka snapdragon)

14. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you have a bellows I would look to filling out a lens set for either the Nikon or the Konica.

15. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUGland! My 90mm macro is easily my most used lens on 35mm, as you can go straight from a landscape detail to a raindrop with it.

16. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The N70 isn't a bad little camera, I used to own one. However, it really isn't suited for macro - the camera lacks a depth of field preview.

17. spiralcity

spiralcity Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Bob, welcome aboard.

the N70 is a great camera. I use one as my main shooter along with my FE2. I noticed you were looking to buy an auto lens for the N70. You can find some nice Sigma lenses for well under 150.00. Nikon glass is good but dont be scared of the third party lenses. Sigma makes good glass, they also made some decent little slr's.

18. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both a Sigma SA 7, SA 9, and as well as SD 10 and a brace of Sigma lens consumer and pro level. Sigma cameras are good mid range cameras with lots of features, the SA 9 has a 3FPS winder, 1/8000 shutter speed, mirror lockup, and depth of field preview. The auto focus is not a strong point, long lens like a 300 or 400 take forever to auto focus, I usually manual focus. The optical quality of Sigma lens are good, but these lens not as reliable as Nikon and at least in my market none of the camera repair shops will work on a Sigma lens or cameras so I needed to send my lens to Sigma for repair. Sigma no longer makes the SA 7 or 9, but are still supporting both as long as parts are available. Overall I would not recommend a Sigma film camera as they were not sold in great numbers, lens are limited. The exception may be if you are interested in a SD 14, a SA 9 as a film backup may make sense.