New Style?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by DBP, Jun 19, 2006.

1. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was at the Waterfront Festival here over the weekend and one of the photgs showing there had changed styles significantly from prior years. The landscapes had been supersaturated with color to the point of being posterized. She was not present to answer questions at that moment, and I didn't stick around just to talk about how much less I liked the current work. But I do have questions.

1. Is this a new trend in the art world that I have missed, or just this photogs decision?

2. Can anyone think of a traditional method that would have produced this look, or is this a symptom of d*** manipulation? The camera was sitting right there, a somewhat ragged Toyo.

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Velvia and _Outdoor Photography_ have pushed color landscape photography that way for a while. The option of pumping up the saturation a little more in PS just seems like an extension of that tendency.

3. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's why I still use Kodachrome - most E-6 films available are too over-saturated for my taste. I think it must be a function of our society, and although I respect everyone's right to have their own opinions, I have felt for some time that more and more people need to be bludgeoned over the head in order to get any reaction; be it from taste, sound, visual stimuli, etc. Subtlety is fast becoming a thing of the past...

- Randy

4. nc5p

nc5p Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I tried shooting people with Velvia, never again. Especially if it's under exposed a bit. Have any of you ever noticed how many people turn the saturation on their tv's up? It's enough to drive me crazy. Many people must like it that way.

Doug

5. anyte

anyte Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It may be the new trend in color but it's certainly not one that I can appreciate. I prefer and aim for subtle myself.

6. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I guess, if a little is good, more must be better.

Michael

7. Peter Jones

Peter Jones Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I get tired of seeing over-saturated over-warmed pics in the magazines. It's self-perpetuating, people aspire to it. Probably the same people with televisions that look like 16-bit computer games.

Velvia,polariser,warm-up is the new mantra.