New super-8 camera

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by kuparikettu, Aug 17, 2013.

1. kuparikettu

kuparikettu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since these days it is really unusual for new still film cameras to be manufactured, let alone cine cameras, I think this ought to be in this part of the forum. After all, a new super-8 camera about to be brought to market somewhat soon.

Here are the specs for this super-8 camera of the 2010s:
    http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=60409

Today the first sneak peak photos of the prototype were made public. See them here:
    http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=60409&page=3#entry393435

WP_20130817_007.jpg

2. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This is truly amazing. If only I were a cinematographer I'd really want one. I enjoy a DVD of a movie "Sleep Always" which was shot using Super-8 with a widened gate. The concept is simple. Super-8 has sprockets on one side, the other side was reserved for sound stripe. But there is film there - and the widened gate takes advantage of that film that the standard Super-8 wastes.

3. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's very cool that it's happening. The digital features are kind of weird in a Super 8 camera, like having a USB port on an ax handle or something, and it looks even weirder, but I like things that are cool but weird. This qualifies to me. :wink:

4. kuparikettu

kuparikettu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agreed. In a sense my first reaction to SD-card was "wait.. what?" but ... why not? :wink:

Reminds me a little of the last super16 film camera built, Arriflex 416 with its wireless control antenna:
    [​IMG]

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On the one hand it is amazing that someone actually started working on such project.

On the other hand concerning handling it is rather a 16mm camera loaded with a Super 8 cassette so to say.
    I have no problem mounting and handling one of my S-8 cameras in a very elaborated way so that in the end only the economics of film format would make a difference.

However a great part of the charme of S-8 lies in the compactness and handling of the camera. That does not take away that I often wanted other or more features on my S-8 cameras and thought of modifications.

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What I am most missing are lenses for Super 8 including the wide-angle range.

7. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you mean you're missing new lenses or Super8 lenses in General ? The Kinoptik Super-Tégea F1,9mm is still in production and covers Std. 16mm, the Tégea 5mm and 5.7mm even cover Super16 all these lenses are available in C-mount and are certainly very expensive. Kinoptik is one of the most underrated Cine lens manufacturers, these days everyone wants German lenses but the Kinoptiks are just as good imo.
    The camera is equipped with a C-Mount and looks more like a Gordon G.S.A.P than an Arri 416
    http://www.alangordon.com/sales/film-cameras/16mm/minicam.php

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    S-8 cameras with C-mount are the exception. And I am less seeking a wide-angle lens to substitute a given lens, but rather miss a wide-angle feature on those fixed FL and zoom-lenses built into the majority of S-8 cameras.

9. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "If this is an actual could happen product and not a pipe dream, I may pee myself." —Matt Stevens, here

:tongue:

Ken

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Modifying a 16mm camera to Double Super-8 might be the better way.

11. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most serious Super 8 cameras I know have a light wide angle to tele zoom ad those that don't often have the image degrading wide angle adaptors as option.

12. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The shortest focal lenght of lenses for instance installed on the two "serious" camera ranges of Beaulieu is 6mm.

A 6mm lens is anything but a wide angle lens at Super8.

13. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I remember correctly the standard normal lens for Super 8 is around 12mm this would make the 6mm a WA lens imo
    not a Super wide but a wide.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The standard focal length is defined as the diameter of the needed image circle of the format in question.
    That is 7mm for Super8.

(This definition should only be used for compact fomats, not for panoramic formats.)

That manufacturers designated those low-end settings at their Super8 zoom lenses as wide angle stand does not make that true...

16. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now I understand what you mean I am so accostumed that in the cine world normal = x2 the diagonal. e.g. 25mm for 16mm instead of the 12,7 etc.. sorry.
    my bad. Btw. there are plenty of D to C mount adaptors that would allow you to use Century and Kinoptik Super wides for Super 8 and 16mm on many Super 8 and Standard 8 cameras. Not the fixed zoom ones though.

Again Entschuldige meinen Denkfehler.

17. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    New to me.
    Thus maybe my Denkfehler... I shall check the origin of the definition above.

18. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found a quote by Roger Deakins ASC, BSC regarding normal lenses for 35mm: Technically speaking a 50mm lens is considered 'normal'. The calculation is made in regard to the optimal viewing distance in a theatre and 'normal' meaning there is no distortion of view for the observer. With a the larger 65mm format negative it might be technically correct that a 110mm lens should be considered 'normal'.
    For me 'normal' is something between a 40mm and a 32mm, when working with a flat 35mm negative format as opposed to anamorphic, A 50mm appears long to me.

The definition is an aesthetic and not mathematical one you are correct the 7.5 is the standard normal focal length but for some reason the viewing distance matters more to cinematographers than to still photographers.

This alone would make for an interesting topic. Normal focal length: viewing distance vs math. Or Choosing a lens based on the planed viewing distance.

19. kuparikettu

kuparikettu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some updates regarding this camera: http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=60409&p=397753

They are "targeting a pricetag of 2.500€ euro including 25% Danish value added tax - for companies purchasing inside the european union with a valid tax number that equates to 2.000€ euro. For sales outside the european union the value added sales tax is also removed, so the total should be 2.000€ euro ($2,695 USD)"

Here's also an interesting article on the camera and the people behind it: http://www.filmkorn.org/sensational-a-new-super-8-camera-from-denmark/

20. kuparikettu

kuparikettu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First test footage shot with Logmar camera (Kodak Vision3 50D):
    https://vimeo.com/87243287

Hard to believe this is super-8, eh? :smile:

21. Barry S

Barry S Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Wow--that footage is beautiful. I'd love to shoot a short film with that beast. The rental fees should be reasonable, considering the price.

22. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where does that light at the left entering the film from behind come from?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
  23. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice footage and very stable. He might want to clean the gate though. Does it use some sort of pressure plate?

24. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    one of these days I want to use my 16mm Bolex.

25. kuparikettu

kuparikettu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pressure plate and registration pin:
    Logmar-005-1080w-1006x716.jpg

26. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very nice thank you, is there an estimate how much it will cost ?