New TMAX400 and Pyrocat

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Andrew Moxom, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a question for Sandy King, or anyone who may know and tested this combination? I've just received a batch of TMY-2 in 120 and I want to test with Pyrocat HD. Sandy gave me good pointers last year for the prior version of TMY in P/Cat, but wanted to know if I could soup the TMY-2 film for the same time?

I currently rate the film at box speed, then pre soak for 3 minutes at 72 Deg F. I then use P/Cat HD in glycol mixed 1:1:100 at 72 deg F and set timer for 16 minutes.

I agitate constantly for 2 minutes, then again for 10 seconds at 12 mins, 8 mins, and 4 mins respectively.

Is this still a good starting point for TMY-2 aswell, or do I need to decrease, or increase my times? The negs are for a dichroic head enlarger, printing mostly on VC and occasionally on graded papers.

Thanks in advance

2. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have had somewhat mixed results. When I compared the old TMY to TMY-2 with 120 roll film in Pyrocat-HD I got lower contrast with the new film. However, when I compared the old and new T-MAX 400 films in 4X5 sheet film, the results were about the same in terms of contrast. I have slightly more confidence in the sheet film results because it is the film currently being sold and marked TMY-2, whereas the 120 film was an experimental emulsion.

Based on the above, I would suggest that you just use your existing development information and you won't be far off.

Sandy

3. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Sandy, that was quick!!! I'll try it with my standard time, and increase if I need to.

4. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Update, I souped some 120 TMY-2 in Pyrocat HD 1:1:100 yesterday. I rated the film at box speed, and bracketed some shots as they involved snow and high contrast. Anyway, I carried out my usual processing steps:-

Pre rinse for 3 minutes at 72 Deg f and agitate for minute and let sit for 2.
    Pour out rinse water.
    Mixed PCat 1:1:100 @ 72 Deg F
    Set timer for 16 minutes.

Poured in dev and agitated constantly for 2 minutes.

I then agitated for 10 seconds @ 12 minutes, 8 minutes, and 4 minutes respectively.

stop, rinse, and fix as usual.

So far negs look crisp and fairly close to what I got from the older TMY. Printing them will let me see the difference in performance, but so far so good.