New to LF - does this have a glass screen?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Dave Morrow, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Dave Morrow

Dave Morrow Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I've been shooting with MF for a number of years now (Fuji 6X9). I want to get a cheap LF camera/enlarger to try out for a while. If all goes well I could then sell my MF and get a shen-hao (which is what I really want!).

I'm in the UK and have a budget of £100 for camera + lens and £100 for 5X4 enlarger. I think I'm a bit optimistic on that!

I've seen this on ebay - is it reasonable for a beginner in LF? I want a litlle bit of movement and I want a very cheap camera to start with. I have asked the seller if there is a ground glass back for focussing - no reply yet so I thought I'd ask here in case anyone knows.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7525827592&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Thanks,

Dave.

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The camera has a groundglass back. If it turns out that the glass itself is missing or broken, it can be easily replaced.

3. Denis P.

Denis P. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Dave,

Judging from the photos, that particular camera *should* have a proper ground glas, since the back seems to be complete. What you see on the back is actually cover/metal shade, and the GG should be under it - it's opened by pressing the tab on the bottom.... The GG should be under it, provided it's in one piece... OTOH, I think you can forget about the film pack adapter - someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can find "film packs" for it any more...
    You will also need appropriate film holders...

HTH,

Denis

4. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Another point about the B&J press camera you are looking at is that it has very few movements for perspective and sharpness control and that this model has only a spring back, which basically accepts 4x5" sheet film holders and some rollfilm holders (but the kind of rollfilm holders that fit a spring back are difficult to load out of doors).

5. richard littlewood

richard littlewood Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You should be able to pick up an MPP, perhaps a mk7, or even an 8 if you can on UK e-bay. These cameras can go cheap, and are pretty up to date. A good one will last for ever. Usually seen with something like a 150 xenar. No problems with weird fitting dark slides or lens panels. A good mk8 is a better bet than one of those Chinese cameras!

6. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

No rear movements but you might be suprised how much movements it has on the front. I could measure mine if anybody really cared but it's got a fair bit of movements. Now the bellows aren't too long.

7. Dave Morrow

Dave Morrow Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies. My interest with a B+J lies solely in the price (to dip my toe in the water and try out the format). I'd prefer an MPP or crown graphic but they go for more than £100. Unless anyone wants to flog me one cheap :wink:

Can I use a "normal" sheet film holder with this camera - like the Riteway ones that are plentiful on ebay? I'm a bit clueless so thanks for the help.

8. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You can indeed use "ordinary" (standard) film holders - Riteway, Fidelity, whatever.

If you are interested in a cheap 4x5" with little movements, I have got a Linhof/MPP hybrid which might fill the bill. This is/was a Linhof Standard Press camera, 9x12 size, with double extension bellows and rising front (also a one-click and rather radical drop bed movement). I have removed the original 9x12 back (still have all parts) and fitted an MPP 4x5" spring back which takes standard slides. This could change hands for about £35!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (has one lens panel, no lens). Could find a reasonable pre-war lens for about £15.

9. Dave Morrow

Dave Morrow Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David that sounds excellent!! I'll drop you an email this evening.