new to LF, with strange question

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jaimeb82, Feb 4, 2009.

1. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can I use a Bolex H 16 Octameter Viewfinder in a Speed Graphic 4x5 camera?

I am just navigating eb...ay non-stop looking to get a cheap speed graphic (got one last night (not that cheap)) and came across a Bolex H16 Octameter viewfinder that covers 8 focal distances? from 16 to 150. Can I use this on a speed graphic or this is just for the Bolex film cameras? I am asking because the guy is local and the price is $20

thanks !

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps, what lens is on your graphic?

I believe the Bolex film aperture is 10.26 by 7.49 mm giving a diagonal of around 12mm. I believe the octameter has 16mm, 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 63mm, 75mm, 100mm and 150mm settings.

The diagonal of 4x5" film is 150mm. So the 16mm setting on the Octameter will approximate a 200mm lens on the Graphic and so on. If you get the 10mm adapter for the Octameter that will give a view of 125mm, or close enough to 135mm lens on the Graphic.

3. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Carl Zeiss 13,5cm. You are saying that with the Bolex H16 I can only get near 200mm so I should look for another model, say the Bolex H10? Is that right?

not sure how to get a 10mm adapter

thanks for explaining, is the Bolex a good viewfinder anyway?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
  4. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The bolex viewfinder is designed for the focal length lenses Bolex offered for their 16mm camera. The view may or may not match any of the lens choices you might put on your 4x5 camera. You have to interpolate the view from the focal lengths used in 16mm to the fields of view of the lenses used for 4x5.

5. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, the focal lengths of the cine lenses are longer. The 'normal' 16mm cine lens (25mm) would be considered a portrait lens by still photography standards. The 10mm adapter is a little accessory piece that fits over the end of the Octameter to provide the view of a 10mm lens on the Bolex. It would give you about a 35mm lens view on a 35mm camera.

What's wrong with the Graflex? Is the viewfinder missing?

Scroll down on this page, there is an adapter for $10 USD.
    http://www.sheltoncomm.com/bolex.html
    [​IMG]