New to LF

Discussion in 'UK All Regions' started by atom, Nov 25, 2007.

1. atom

atom Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've just invested in a large format camera set up & to be frank, I'm a little lost & I'm looking to meet up with someone who can show me the ropes & give advice. Spent all my money on the equipment, so can't really afford a "Light & Land" course at the moment!
    I'm in the Dundee area of Scotland.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2007
  2. BarryWilkinson

BarryWilkinson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

Can't help from here (London). If you haven't tried before, it may be worth you posting on the UK LF Forum as well. There are a number of LF users there who live in Scotland. The url is...

http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum/

Barry

3. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sorry, can't help. I'm on the other side of the world from you, Hawaii. However, I can offer you a welcome and hope that you will feel free to ask any question that may come up in your quest to learn LF photography.

4. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  5. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Atom. Dundee eh? So is it Tannadice or Dens Park? For the benefit of our English friends, that's not a coded Gaelic question. Back to the subject. It's still quite some time away but as I understand it there's an APUG meet in Northumberland next Spring. It might be within reach. Check that thread out. There may be some LFers going and there are some APUGers north of the border. Each member/ subscriber's profile will often tell you of that person's interests in terms of 35mm/MF/LF.

I presume that none of the camera clubs in the area have any LFers left. A sign of the times maybe.

APUG isn't the same as face to face contact and sometimes the answer to questions take a little longer but more often than not somebody or bodies here will get you to where you need to go.

Good luck with LF

pentaxuser

6. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening Atom,

Don't forget that APUG has voluminous Forum posts on just about any LF-related topic, from lenses to film holders to processing to view camera types to practical tips on usage to . . . . Just spend the time and you have a graduate-level course of information at your disposal.

Konical

7. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. atom

atom Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks to all who took the time to reply, I will take all suggestions on board. Just by responding to my post, you have made me feel very welcome. It looks like it will be a steep learning process, but one I am looking forward to.

atom.
    http://www.albavistas.com

9. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't be afraid of making mistakes. You will make some. Large format photography invites mistakes. :smile: Just make sure to learn from them.

The Simmons book is a very good start.

10. sar-photo

sar-photo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi atom,

I live near Dumfries so am probably the closest person to reply to your post - still a few hours away though! I suggest you check out the UK LF Group - they may have some members near you. They are a very friendly and helpful lot - their website is http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/

I am actually in the process of getting out of LF and will be posting all my LF gear in the classifieds very soon. I've settled on 6x6 as my ideal format.

Cheers
    Simon

11. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'm probably too far away to help (London), but would happily show you how things work if you're down in this direction. In my opinion, half a day of personal tuition will be far more beneficial than reading a book - especially when books tend to go into technical overdrive... (Although obviously if there's no-one nearby then a book is better than nothing.) Although they're quite expensive (less than a lens though), the Light & Land LF courses are very, very good.