New to Lith - Very confused.

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by cdhauber, Sep 12, 2007.

1. cdhauber

cdhauber Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am wanting to experiment with lith printing and do not just want my photographs to look JUST toned (ie: sepia/selenium) I am interested in the multi color as well as the texture etc with the rich blacks.

I have Tim Rudman's books and each time I come up with a combination of paper/chemicals that seems like his recommendation, I can not find one or the other. So, I am having a hard time finding what combination of paper and chemicals will have the results I want. I am also finding that much of what I look for in America does not exist. (moersch seems pretty cool but can't find it)

Thus, any help with that combination would be great. There are many choices of paper available, but the chemistry is less available.

Also, if I am just beginning, what size paper would be best to start with?

Thanks in advance.

2. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    First locate one of the papers he recommends and go from there. Finding both paper and chemicals simultaneously is difficult.
    After you have the paper in hand, check suppliers such as Artcraft, Bostick & Sullivan, Photographers Formulary and other chemical suppliers for the chemistry. I believe if you contact Dr. Rudman with questions he will respond. Since he does workshops each year through Photographers Formulary, they could be the most likely supplier.

4. rwyoung

rwyoung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Freestylephoto.biz carries Kentmere, Foma and Ilford papers as well as a few different brands of Lith chemistry.

5. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Freestyle carries Maco Superlith and Fotospeed LD20 and a huge amount of papers that lith well.

B+H carries the Fotospeed LD20 and plenty of papers that lith well.

Digitaltruth carries Rollei Vintage Creative, which from what I understand, is just Maco Superlith renamed and plenty of papers that lith well.

I don't think it's too hard to find lith developer and papers, there's lots of it out there.

6. naaldvoerder

naaldvoerder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fotospeed lith paper will give you the gritty look in almost any lith chemistry

Jaap jan

7. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Second the Foma MG Classic. Pinks, beige, browns and sometimes a little green when the developer is good and worn out. Always wanted to try the Fotospeed paper, but it's expensive.

I've tried several developers, but it seems like Kodalith Super RT has the best shelf life in stock solution. The LD20 data sheet says it should be used within 60 days of opening. This I read after buying the 5 liter jugs! I believe Macolith is similar.

8. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    I love Varycon in LD20. Great paper for lith and cheap. Kentona is also very nice but a bit finicky for me. I get it all from Freestyle.

I've posted some varycon prints recently so you can see how they look in my galleries.

Lith is great. It's changed the way I see.

9. DarkroomDan

DarkroomDan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tim updates his information on papers and chemicals periodically. He posts the info on his World of Lith website
    http://www.worldoflithprinting.com/news.php You might want to have a look there.

Dan

10. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have never used all of my lith developer within 60 days of opening the bottles. This includes LD20, Maco Superlith and Naccolith developers. I went through a phase of doing no lith printing and when I returned to it about a year later, my Superlith (which was about half full) gave me the same results as before.

11. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I noticed a fall-off of the lith effect with the LD20 after about four months. Prints still developed and I got the same colors, but no infectious development. Perhaps the sulfite/bromide balance was not right for the paper, but I was pulling my hair out over it. That's when I actually read the materials, and it says 60 days. I still have a few liters, maybe from what you say I should give it another go and play with the chems a little more.

12. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd definitely give it another shot. Hell if there is a change, it might be something you like. You never know :wink:

13. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You know something else Travis, this was before I tested papers for accelerators in the emulsion, and I wondered if it would dissolve into the lith developer and kill the effect. I bounce around quite a bit on papers, mostly culled from garage sales and such. Since I started testing the papers with NaOH before trying to lith them, I haven't had the problem of inactive developer. What do you think?