New toy camera article in Wired magazine

Discussion in 'Lo-Fi Cameras' started by BetterSense, May 29, 2009.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    http://www.wired.com/culture/design/magazine/17-06/pl_design

An interesting blurb, and I applaud the entrepreneur. But $125? That's not a toy anymore...

I find in ironic that he implies that digital cameras are a more faithful representation of reality than film, and also that film has worse image quality than digital.

2. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Japan is pretty nutty for toy cameras. My friend saw a Fujipet for $400 a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

Personally, $125 and an uncoupled viewfinder turned me off the Blackbird Fly. Especially here in Japan where old TLRs can be found all over the place!

3. viridari

viridari Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not even particularly useful as toy cameras go. Just cashing in on a fad.

4. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only difference between men and boys, is the price of their toys!
    Rick

5. McFortner

McFortner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd love a TLR, but my one requirement would be a 35mm. I can't afford branching out into another size of film right now. And the Blackbird, fly is just too expensive for me right now.

Michael

6. Silverhead

Silverhead Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I think the guys in Wired would go nuts if they knew about the "Kamen Rider Decade" Blackbird Fly...

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/30139-Blackbird-Fly-35mm-TLR-Camera-Kamen-Rider-Decade-Special-Edition

...especially after seeing this very cool article on the SciFi Japan web site...it actually sheds some light on some pretty interesting facts about the camera and the show it's tied into.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2009/09/18/the-masked-rider-decade-limited-edition-camera/

I think this is cool, but then again, I'm a sucker for Japan-pop...

7. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not a camera for me, but if it gets more people to buy film, I hope that they sell by the millions. I'm only afraid that people will get bored with film photography after these cameras go out of fashion. Better cameras would be more likely to sustain someone's interest, I would think. Maybe some of the people who start with toy cameras will want to upgrade to something better? If so, and they don't want to deal with used cameras, what will they buy?

8. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I tend to agree with you completely on this one...

- Randy

9. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Today I was in Washington Square Park and saw a crowd of people using blue Dianas. They all seemed to be taking a class together. Also noticed someone with a Yashicamat D and another with a 35mm film SLR, but I couldn't pick out the model the way he was holding it.

We've had a few mentions of the Blackbird Fly here. Try a search to find more info.

10. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've not seen a BBF in the wild yet but I did see a group of girls, some shooting digital, at least one had a film SLR though, on Carnaby Street yesterday.

11. Snapper

Snapper Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I think some people on the Wired discussion thread just don't get it. Toy = fun = ephemeral.

Of course you could buy a 'proper' camera for the £75 it costs over here, but thats not the point, is it?

What saddened me was the comment (although I expect it was meant tongue-in-cheek) "Or use one of the iPhone apps such as CameraBag to create similar effects..."

Sigh.

12. Shangheye

Shangheye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought it was the SIZE of their toys :D

13. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That magazine, and apparently many of it's readers, tend toward fixation on the technology itself rather than that ideas driving the technology, at least as I see it...

- Randy

14. Moopheus

Moopheus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think he was referring to the plastic lens and the distortions it introduces.