New toy for my darkroom - focuser!

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by tkamiya, Dec 10, 2009.

1. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got a Magna Sight image focuser delivered. This is interesting.... It's a relatively large device similar to grain focuser but it is an image focuser instead. Image bounces off a mirror and get projected to a ground glass which I view it through 10x magnifier. I chose this rather than the traditional grain focuser based on reviews that folks with eyesight issues often have problem with grain focusers. The eye piece is HUGE on this thing... about 1.5" diameter. I can see the magnified image from abut a foot away.

I can't wait til I use this... I have to wait until dark hours.... (I have no curtain in my darkroom area)

2. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one of these and a regular grain focuser.
    I find I use the MagnSight most often.

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am another Magnasight fan.

4. DramaKing

DramaKing Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Magna Sight is great. I find that I'm only able to use it to focus because I've never been able to use a grain focuser (near-sightedness). I've never had any problem with out-of-focus prints.

One more thing. I highly suggest getting something to screen your darkroom. There's always some light at night. You'll probably see improvements in your prints if the only light in your darkroom is a safe light.

5. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The Magnasight is relatively low tech and an ugly piece of equipment. I switched from a Peak grain focuser to the Magnasight because the grain on TMAX is so fine that it is sometimes hard to focus with a Peak. The Magnasight works like a charm.

I even bought one new! Every once in awhile I get a little rush from being able to buy any darkroom equipment new.

6. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    following a recommendation in Barry Thornton's book The Edge of Darkness, I attached a close up lens to my Magna Sight. You then need to bend over and put your eye to it like you would a grain focuser, but you see a greatly magnified image of details that can be focused very easily.