New user from California

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Perry Way, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Perry Way

Perry Way Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey everybody, Jason Brunner got me to come here and have a look/see. By the way, Jason sent me a nice fat check in the mail to say that! Heheh, Jason I really dig your videos on YouTube. Well now...... this seems like the place!

Well, let me introduce myself. I am one sharp monkey! hehe.. okay, well, that's not a good introduction. Let me back up a bit and start over.

I'm at the top of the hill here in life, having a look around and I'm sort experiencing a pattern in my life. This is my strange dichotemy. My career or job is as a software engineer/developer/designer/architect. So, I'm making money in the digital world you see. But I ride a bike to work and back. I used to own a ton of electric guitars and basses, and all that digital equipment for taking the soundwaves and doing things with them. But I sold all that stuff a few days before 9/11/01. Now I play only one guitar, a Jose Ramirez R1 classical. There are no pickups on this guitar. It is... analog. About 5 years ago, I suddenly out of the blue remembered how to crochet. I was suffering from a poor season after a failed business (long story, and I'm not going into that here). So I crocheted something for everyone in my family. Imagine a surly dude doing something grandma used to do. Hahah, blows my mind still. Well, I got so far into the fiber arts I started knitting, and I was getting darn good with it too. All the old ladies wanted to know all my secret tips. And I bought tons of knitting machines. And then I bought one that was electronic. Figured I'd write a software program to pattern the knit straight from the computer to the machine and use that program to download pixelated graphics (i.e. photographs). But something went wrong, when I received the machine from UPS it turns out the eBay seller was quite the liar. It was one rusted heaping pile of junk. Nothing worked. So that set me about on another purging of digital things. Back to the manual.. analog world.

Well, when I was a young little whipper snapper, I jumped into the photography world. This started for me in the darkroom in Patrick Henry Junior High School. I so wanted to be a photographer, until I found out that most of them were poor and struggled to maintain a life. :rolleyes: Ahh the youthful things we do. So I went onto other creative endeavors ultimately. But not before I wasted about 10 years in a career that taxed my brain cells, but paid mightly well. I was a Real Estate Appraiser. And I snapped off oh.. at least 2 36 exposure rolls of 35mm daily, on the job. I applied my artistic talent to the mundane job. The photos were only seen by the boss, and the loan officer and the underwriter. I know.. such a small audience. But I got praises galore because I've got the eye... y'know.

Well, then along came digital photography. And I must confess I jumped in deep. But.. in the past few years I've really desired to express myself through another artform, yet again. Down went the knitting needles, down went the paint brushes, down went the computer and the so called "plan" to startup another dot com like last time.. only minus any failures and lawsuits and the like. I'm going back to my roots you see. I can't stand digital cameras to be honest. The only thing they are really any good for is for gettin' your stuff up on eBay!

So.. I've bought myself some darkroom equipment from some student who is having a hard time making ends meet and contemplating moving back in with his mother (hello economy!). I'm sort of dead set here at converting my bathroom and walkin closet or both, into a darkroom but shhhhhhhhhh, don't tell the landlord! :wink:

I haven't yet decided upon what camera and what format to get involved with again. But honestly I'm thinking medium format at the least, however I got me this Beseler 35 enlarger and I'm thinking 35 has a lot of indication as to the film size that it accepts! :tongue: So, unless I want to buy more equipment before I get started maybe I should get me a cheep 35 mm camera to play with.

I used to be a huge huge fan of Olympus OM-2. I still am. What a great camera! Man I had a great setup for that camera, the OM-10 also, and let's see.. what else have I gotten my stinkin fingers on in my life? I think my first SLR was a Yashika. I've had a couple of TLR's, I think one was a Rolleiflex I didn't like that thing.. it had a lens stuck on it you could not take off! Oh but it shot outrageously sweet negatives. I had a Mamiya 220 also. I've had some Petax's and Nikons. Canons in there too. But I never had the money to plink down on a Hasselblad. Nor did I have the cash for a large format view camera. Well, now I'm older.. I don't have the income of a young little whipper snapper paper boy anymore. I've got the income of an underpaid software developer competing for jobs in the USA against Indian, Pakistani, and Philippinos. I smell a career change sometime.....

While I still have some money, maybe I ought to stock up on some equipment that is no longer being made.

So I've got one opening question for the people who have stuck around this long to read my long winded post.

Hasselblad?

or....

Mamiya 645 or RB 67?

or....

Bronica?

Are the Zeiss lenses on those Hasselblads really that superior to anything else?

I'm wondering if there ever has been some sort of scientific assessment performed to rate the Zeiss lenses on Hasselblads versus Sekor lenses on Mamiyas. I think that Rolleiflex I had gave me the nicest negatives I've ever shot. But this is memory. Sometime in the drug years of my 20's I let go of all my posessions, including my negative books and all that jazz. So I can only go by my memory. But the Rolleiflex had them Zeiss lenses as well.....

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome to APUG.

I also play guitar (usually the one to the left). I can't crochet but I can knit!

And I have an RB67.

Steve.

3. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello from Richmond Va. Welcome to APUG. In my small collection of cameras, I do have a Rolleiflex. It does take great negatives, but in my case I do love mine!:D

Jeff

4. Perry Way

Perry Way Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sweeeeeeeeeet guitar dude! Thanks for the welcome.

Hey, you know, I saw "A hard days' night" on IFC (Independent Film Channel, here in the states) just one night ago and you know its funny you bring up the guitar, and in light of my Jose Ramirez.. we could jam together and Ringo too, and we'd have the whole basis for the song "And I love her". You know, that's a Ramirez in that song. It's about the only classical guitar lick in all of Rock n Roll history too. So you knit also? I see you're from Isle of Wight. Do you do any of that Aran knitting? That's wild stuff. Wow, I feel the warm fuzzies already! haahhah.. hey thanks for the welcome. I think I'll stick around here and grow like a fungus :wink:

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It certainly is. or was and will be again. A couple of weeks ago I managed to knock it over and broke the headstock. It's currently in for repair with a local violin builder who does exceptional work of this kind. It will be almost as good as new.

No. That's from the Isle of Arran in Scotland (the other end of the UK!). I have been there and there are some pictures in page 4 of my gallery and some which are better than mine from a member called Shiny: http://www.apug.org/gallery/member.php?uid=13893&protype=1

Steve.

6. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from Washington, DC. Sounds like a convoluted path back to analog, but it wouldn't have been half as much fun if it were simple, would it? As to the Zeiss lenses, I have always been a big Hassy fan, and until I decided I preferred large format, that was my weapon of choice. It makes a great travel camera, the optics are amazing. I think that the Zeiss T* coatings are what give their lenses that extra snap, with richer contrast, and that's what makes them special.

7. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just about any camera will do... just go out and shoot!! Welcome to APUG.

8. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I work in IT and ride my bike to work every day!! (here in Socal, you can but when I lived in NYC, I still did but wayyyyy colder).

Yes, get one.

I used to work with one but not outside the studio. Do you have arms as big as
    our govenor?

To your ego...yes :smile:

Where in Socal are you? My boss just moved in with his GF and she's slowly finding all her darkroom equipment. So whatever extra I get..........

9. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts. Great story! :D

gene

10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In a word?

YES

Steve

11. Perry Way

Perry Way Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh man.. it looks like I gotta pay to view. :mad: Well the thumbnails look really fantastic though.

12. Perry Way

Perry Way Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Life is a journey! I consider the greatest asset one truely posesses is one's experience and the knowledge and wisdom that is gleaned from it. I've made mistakes, bad ones, just to experience them. To truely know what it feels like. So, I suppose you could say we agree! I'll leave the "simple" experience to people who want to play it safe their whole life. I'm more like that dude that Anthony Hopkins portrayed in the movie "The Fastest Indian in the World" :smile:

Now this is almost word for word what I read recently from others with the experience to make the assessment. I think I'll stop my 35 mm purchases at this point (Got me a great deal on eBay last night for a Canon A-1 with three lenses and autowinder) and save the rest of my money so that in a month or two I can buy a complete Hasselblad kit.

13. Perry Way

Perry Way Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hahahah! No... but... I'm no girly man! I might have bigger thighs though! Need something punted? :D

Ahh, if you divide the state into 3's, I'm Central Coast. San Luis Obispo or as locals affectionately call it.. SLO. This is heaven up here. I'm a native Los Angelino, but very happy to be gone now. I'm very close to much natural beauty. The most beautiful coastline in the world begins 30 minutes from my doorstep and (in a car) extends for over an hour. San Simeon to Big Sur. But some folks would disagree and say that the most beautiful coast line starts much further south, like Point Concepcion, Point Sal, Guadalupe Dunes, Montana de Oro. If you're interested in a trip for snapping off a few rolls, give me a holler. I'll show you all the good spots!

14. Perry Way

Perry Way Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, this was a great welcome from you all. Thanks everyone! I'm already feeling at home.

Since I made this original post, I've bought a Canon A-1 on eBay with 3 lenses and autowinder and .. some other stuff for dirt cheep on a Buy-it-now with best offer. Best offer prevailed. Man, I am surprized sometimes at the responses I get with best offers. I really undercut this listing, and I got it first thing in the AM. But some other best offer's I've done were met with great resistence and they weren't really that far below the asking price. Oh well, I wanted a good deal and something to get me started. Like I said earlier, I've got darkroom equipment, etc. for 35mm already so.. that's my first step back into the analog world. I'll save up my money now and get me a Hasselblad kit.

Man I saw a Hasselblad kit the other day that was too good to be true. It was two bodies, I think a 500cm and 500elx, 4 or 5 film backs, 3 or 4 lenses, waist level finder, prism finder, recharger for the 500elx, filters, and I'm sure I'm leaving out some stuff.. oh yeah a flash and gun, for some low low price of $1700 or so. It got snapped up though, so if you find that price too good to be true, it was priced so low it sold quickly.

15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  16. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hey dude! Glad you found your way here. Thanks for the WaMu bank draft!!!:D

17. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sweeet. I used to live in Salinas and worked in San Jose and then WAtsonville. I really liked it up there. I was down MOnterey and Carmel every weekend.

18. Perry Way

Perry Way Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh you got that already? :D Did you crumple it up and throw it on the ground to see how high it bounces?

On another note Jason I find your Youtube videos quite refreshing. You make some pretty good results even with all your mistakes and measurements in cheetos and tortelinis! About the only thing we disagree on is the bacon bit. I don't eat any red meats anymore. Anyhow, I think your videos in part is why I decided to go to the effort of re-entering photography. Now, you can feel proud about that now... or.. you can wait and see the results! Hopefully I won't let ya down!

19. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dude.

If you are ever up in SJ, let me know. I have a 6x7 enlarger that would be yours for the asking. And not crap either. Beseler 67S with Dicro head and two mixing boxes. A couple of negative holders. I could find some sort of funky lens for it. Just taking up space.

Probably lend you something to get your interest whetted. A C3 with a 135 lens on it. Heavy as hell, takes nice pictures. Just don't ask to see the Deardorff. I wouldn't do that to you.

Welcome, pay the 25 bucks (or whatever it costs this year), it's worth it.

tim in san jose

20. Perry Way

Perry Way Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow! That's quite an offer! I bought a dirt cheep Beseler Photomaker 35. It's only got a 35mm carrier, and upon a way more detailed look at it tonight I found that it's missing things that the manual says should be there. However, the head seems to be light-tight. Also, the knob that tightens or loosens the head on the vertical path doesn't tighten all the way. It is possible to accidentally (through vibration or otherwise) alter the settings without much effort. I haven't tried sneezing on it yet, but maybe that too will cause movement :rolleyes: So.. San Jose eh? My Subaru's got 165k miles on it now. The last two.. err three months, I've had some big expenses on it. $650 tuneup, $750 replace waterpump and timing belt, alternator and solve coolant leak/high temp problem (I did that one cuz I had to, cuz I was broke). I don't know if I trust this car just yet. Haven't driven it enough to know cuz I'm biking to work 4-5 days a week still. But hey, it's only a 3.5 hour drive eh, and there's civilization along the entire route.. so.. I'll be thinking about your offer!

Oh man, another nice offer. I had a Mamiya C330 in my youth. It took nice photos. My favorite one I took was of my neighbors specimen Ash tree in her front yard. 6 x 6 square enlargement on that. The tree filled the frame top and sides with a dichondra lawn in that depth of field thing going on, blurry up close fading to sharp focus. Very nice shot. still have it in my mind like yesterday.

Okay.. you got my curiousity going. What's that?

Ehh.. more like $50 tank for the ride up and another $50 back home, but I haven't been for a road trip for a while. Last road trip was up Highway 1 and turning around about 5 or 10 miles before Big Sur. Man I love that ride! There are some mighty good spots all up and down the coast there for the most awesome photos.

21. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think he meant $25 APUG subscription, but I could be wrong (it has happened once before!).

Steve.

22. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Steve,

You are never wrong, and you always agree with me. *L*

tim

23. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the APUG jungle!:DI swear by my Mamiya C330-very nice lenses but don't hassle the 'blad....