New user of a Linhof Technica III Mk5 4x5

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Fintan, May 5, 2006.

1. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been wanting to try LF for so long now. Anyway I've finally bought a Technica III Mk5 to dip my toe in the water so to speak.

Now while I wont receive the camera for a few days yet, I'm looking for an instruction manual and some info on 4x5 film handling and developing. Any advice would be good.

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There's good info on loading filmholders and handling film at lfphoto.info. You might also get Steve Simmons' introductory book, _Using the View Camera_.

There's a good page on the Tech III at cameraquest.com.

3. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Be aware that as nice a camera as it is, the Technika III uses an older and different lensboard than the Technika IV, V, Master, 2000, and Technikardan 45S.

Rich

4. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes Rich I'm aware of that.

Thanks David for the link. I'm not sure about a generic book on view cameras just yet but will look out for it in the future.

5. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may want to check eBay. Periodically they do have Linhof books, though they normally refer to the Technika IV or later. Finding a manual for the camera may take some searching for a 40 year old camera though. Enjoy it.

Rich

6. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think its actually 51 years old, cant wait to get my hands on it. Thanks for the good wishes.

7. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By George, you are right it is that old. When I had my modified Technika IV, I believe it was made in either 1956 or 1958. Unfortunately it was stolen in 1994. Replaced it with a Technikardan 45S.

The IIIs are supposed to be quite workable. May need a cleaning and a lube. The leather is notorious to peel a little, but what do you want for a 50 year old camera. The leather can be reapplied of reglued however. Also, I had a leaf spring in the focusing break. Hopefully if this happens, parts will be available or could be manufactured. When mine broke, it was 1992 and parts were available for the IV through Master (which is still in production).

Rich