New user, please advice on Polaroid!

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by vidalini, Feb 7, 2008.

1. vidalini

vidalini Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi! I'm new to this Forum and APUG.org itself, and I would like to ask for your help on this subject..

I would like to offer a Polaroid to my girlfriend for valentines, the pop out of the bottom instant picture cartridge type, but I'm completely off on these type of cameras. I now they have evolved a lot after the first one, so I would like to ask if anyone could advice me on this purchase.

I would like something that delivers good quality images, but also it would be nice to be lightweight/small, easy to use (she's not into photography at all), with flash..
    Thank you in advance!

2. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would recommend getting a new One600 camera. I bought one a couple months ago and it works fine for its intended purpose. They are fairly inexpensive, about $35 here in the States. My three-year-old grand daughter can use it with a distinctive photographic style. :smile:

3. vidalini

vidalini Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you very much!
    I'll search for that one, and hope for tons of fun!
    Thanks

4. jeff.blackwell

jeff.blackwell Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    DO NOT BUY ANY POLAROID PRODUCTS! First read the news today ( 8 Feb 2008). As reported on nytimes.com, and boston.com, Polaroid announced today that they are ceasing production of ALL instant film products.

5. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Wow how to kill a product dead in its tracks. There's load of polaroid film out there. Even if you only use it a few times, it's worth it. It's also good to let the market speak for itself. If someone wants the polaroid film and will buy it, someone out there will be more than willing to buy the technology off of polaroid to make the stuff.

6. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The fuji instant films are very good. Pick up a camera and shoot and be happy.

7. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Along Fujifilm's current line of thought, it'd be great if they came out with an sx-70-like folding SLR autofocus instant print camera that did close focusing (less than 2feet)...

8. pauliej

pauliej Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You might want to get your gf a Polaroid disposable 35mm camera, if you can find one anywhere...

paulie

9. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Its a bad day to start using Polaroid. :sad:

10. hermzie

hermzie Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    I have a Polaroid One600 -- is there any sort of replacement film we can use in place of polaroid film??

11. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Nope. Once polaroid stop making 600 film, there's no replacement. Especially as they're only giving the market effectively a year or less to buy and start producing there will at the very least be a gap in production IF someone takes up production which isn't very likely.
    There's Fujifilm Instax cameras which are similar but not identical to the Polaroid One600 cameras but they're much larger and bulky and not a square format but "wide".

12. JohnArs

JohnArs Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would also not buy a new Pola cam because soon no film!

Armin

13. Sino

Sino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now, truth be told -- if you want to continue using your 600-type film Polaroid camera, you can. There's unsaleable.com and SX-70 Blend, which you can use after you take its filter off. But it'd be around 3$ per shot.

-Sino.

14. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    sx-70 blend is useless for One600 cameras because One600 cameras are already designed to take 600 film (unlike the sx-70 cameras which were meant to take TimeZero film which was a much lower ISO)

15. Sino

Sino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So how can that be useless? Feeding a 600 film to a camera that takes 600 film is useless?!

-Sino.

16. Sino

Sino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In case there's any confusion, the Blend, is almost identical to 600 film. The only difference (apart from the claimed different color response) is that it includes a ND sheet on the upper side of the film cassette.

-Sino.

17. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The problem is 600 film is being discontinued by next year. Just like all the other polaroid film. That's why everyone is up in arms on this particular topic/thread/whateveryoucallit.

18. Sino

Sino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know, and I'm really sad and angry with this whole situation. I'm just pointing out in the right direction in case anybody feels like he/she needs to keep using his camera. I do wish that someone takes over that business, even if the film prices go up.

-Sino.