New Velvia 50 tried

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by No Digital, Aug 13, 2007.

1. No Digital

No Digital Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello!
    I tried the new velvia 50 film, both in 135 and 120 formats.
    You can find 2 galleries at

http://www.oltrelimmagine.net/Gallerie_soci/galleriesoci.php

then click on "Simone" (the only one recognised with a square pictures) and go to "Sardegna2007" (Sardinia 2007).
    In the precedent 120 film roll could see a little more sensibility, about 1/3 stop so I decided to expose this film at 64 iso.
    For 135: Pentax lx, meter on 64 iso
    For 120: Pentax 6x7 , meter on 80 iso (this camera overexpose of about 1/3 stop, so I corrected to have a 64 iso effective sensibility)
    For any question I'm present, but excuse my poor english!
    Enjoy!

2. KB Photo

KB Photo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In your opinion, how does this newer film compare to the old 50 or the newer 100 speed? (grain, contrast, color, etc)
    KB

3. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The new View Camera is on the stand with a review and pictures. It looks to be so very close that it's considered essentially the same. It's hard to tell from the pictures, printing and all, so I take the comments of the reviewer. It's 100.1% a dead ringer with the nod to the new stuff from what I gather.

4. Baxter Bradford

Baxter Bradford Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Others including myself who have independently tried the new version also experienced a speed increase of 1/3 stop.

5. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sounds (very) good!

Any info on reciprocity?

6. Baxter Bradford

Baxter Bradford Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Not from my testing Frank.

However the printed tech info sheet from Fuji is the same as the original in terms of exposure times. I don't use CC filters for long exposures so cannot comment on that aspect.

7. No Digital

No Digital Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use the first roll at 50 iso and shades were very open, even when I shoot with 2 seconds without correcting time. In my opinion the reciprocity is better on long exposure times: up to 2/4 seconds it seems to be linear and no colors shifting.
    With this first test I experienced the 64 iso effective sensibility, and so I did on these images you can see.
    Compared to the old Velvia: not the same feeling. No grain, very little less contrast and saturation. An half way between the old Velvia and the Velvia100, (but probably closer to Velvia) but... I don't know why, not the same feeling.
    Maybe I only need to know better the film (effective sensibility, contrast, reciprocity) to let it work as the old one...
    well, we'll see with next rolls!

8. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sounds like good stuff.

Damn, I'm going to have to buy some film now...! :D

9. No Digital

No Digital Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ...and go to Sardinia to try it! :D :D

10. dmr

dmr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OMG that's saturated!

More so than the Velvia 100 I've shot!

11. espressogeek

espressogeek Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Where does one get this film in stock these days? I have been watching BH for so me time for some 120 or 220 to show up.

12. kman627

kman627 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I put a roll through the ole pinhole and found no color shift at 5 seconds. Good saturation and contrast. I couldn't tell much difference from it and the orig.

Attached Files:

13. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

I bought mine at Calumet, retail, in NYC. They had plenty. In 120.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. sbandone

sbandone Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Charlie Waite has reviewed this film in Outdoor Photography October issue and essentially considers it to be almost identical to the old stock with a slight bias to magenta which would correct over enthusiatic greens. have a look if you can get a copy - I read one in the newsagents!

16. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    David Ward reviews it on his blog, and came to the same conclusion.

17. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Robert,

I will wait here about your results and assessment from your upcoming trip to Australia. I still have a bit of the original Velvia to exhaust or almost exhaust before I order the new Velvia 50.

Rich

18. Baxter Bradford

Baxter Bradford Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Please note that the new version is 1/3 stop faster than the original. In my case making it a true ISO 50 instead of ISO 40. I got rather beaten up on LF forum for making this distinction.

This speed change also picked up by David and Joe who alerted me to it. My film was shot in quick succession (wonders of 5x4 QL) and then processed in same batch in the JOBO.

19. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks guys. I still have a batch of the old 50, which I've decided to use before getting any of the newer stuff.

20. Harrigan

Harrigan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I am curious how much of the old Velvia you color guys stashed away?

21. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I stashed away about 125?? sheets of Quickload, about 4 120 Pro Packs and around 15?? rolls of 35mm.

Rich

22. Baxter Bradford

Baxter Bradford Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Think it was region of 600 sheets cut 5x4 and 300 sheets QL5x4. About 10 pro packs 120.... which I no longer shoot!

Plan was to buy time - Fuji came up trumps quicker than I'd expected. Now I need you guys to buy the new stuff, so that they don't stop before I am ready to restock!

23. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Baxter,

I use the Pro Pack 120 film in my Mamiya 7 II and my reducing backs (particularly my Horseman 6 X 12) for my 4 X 5. There are those times when working with the reducing back it is a lot less expensive with the 2:1 ratio and can be faster operation with the Mamiya 7 II.

Rich

24. Harrigan

Harrigan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I was just thinking it's a bit sad that most of the big color shooters must have large stashes of the old velvia and can't really participate in the new release yet. I think if it were my main film I would have put a few hundred sheets into the ice box as well.

Fall colors will be here soon so the availability of the new velvia comes at the prefect time for me.

25. David Henderson

David Henderson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just ran out of the "original" 50 in August, which delayed my using the new emulsion a little but I was able to shoot Velvia 50 continuously. Like others I'm finding the new emulsion very close to the original though a little faster. I have to say though that in the last couple of years, whilst uncertain about the return of RVP and wondering how close it would be, I have used and learned a lot more about Provia 100F and Velvia 100 both of which I'll continue to use in specific circumstances because of their differing colour handling. I use to use possibly 90% Velvia 50 for colour work- I'm anticipating closer to 40% now.

26. Garry Madlung

Garry Madlung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi everyone. Thanks for the info. My inventory is down to about seven packs, but my supplier still seems to be able to get the old stuff. I would be interested is buying anyone's stock of the old 120. I also plan to start shooting 4x5 veliva.

If you guys are rating the new stuff at 64, that will certainly change a few things for me. Perhaps the reciprocity factor won't be so great.

Garry