NEW Voigtlander with Rollei QBM!!!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by ic-racer, Mar 16, 2007.

1. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Too bad they don't make one of the Cosina Voigtlanders with the Rollei QBM:sad:

My beloved SL35E, that I have had since 1986, finally stopped working and in the same month a SL2000F also stopped. I still have two 3003s left but I was without a 'conventional' type 35mm body.

I picked up a nice small compact manual Yashica, with the Contax mount, however, all the Zeiss lenses are much, much more expensive in the Contax/Yashica mount. It is a shame that I have so many of the Rollei 50mm Planar lenses lying around I use them as paper weights. But to buy just a 50mm Planar with the Contax/Yashica mount on e-bay costs almost $200!!! The "Yashica" 50mm lens on the camera is pretty bad. Even at f8 I was just a 'film waster.'

So, I figured, even if they DID make a Voigtlander with the QBM, it would probably cost about $300 or more. So I budgeted myself to just pick up an an older manual Rollei body.

I found an 'unused in box' SL35M and got if for about $160.

Boy, this is an OLD design, the body is big and has a little 'peep hole' to view the screen. It has the ancient horizontal, non-rubberized cloth shutter that goes to 1/1000. My first camera when I was 12 years old (in 1973) was more advanced than this.

The SL35E was a lot better design, though, I don't think either can be counted on lasting another 10 years. I kind of have this feeling that the electronics in all the SL35Es out there have broken down and there are really no good ones left, that is why I went with the older, manual camera.

Of course, the MADE in GERMANY SL35 is probably the one to get, but the 'collectors' are hoarding these and they are a little expensive.

A little irony in this whole situation is that the camera I wound up getting (the SL35M) IS actually a Voigtlander VSL1 that Rollei marketed as a Rollieflex with the QBM.

The picture shows my old SL35E with the recently broken shutter and my 'unused in box' SL35M.

I have never been a big fan of Canon, but I do see the Canon/Rollei QBM adapters on e-bay. Perhaps I will give that a try also.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2007
  2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're interested, I have some other optics for that system I'd be willing to unload, specifically an 85mm 1.4, and a 35mm f2.8. I'd have to dig around in my storage locker to find them. I'd be willing to let them go cheap - the 85 has some separation happening, but that actually might not be a too terrible thing, since that lens is so sharp to begin with. The diaphragm is also a little sticky, but it works. The 35mm is in pretty good shape overall. I should also still have a motor winder for that system. Let me know if you're interested in any of the bits.

3. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

"I have never been a big fan of Canon, but I do see the Canon/Rollei QBM adapters on e-bay".

Huh?

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here is a link to one of these adapters. It would be nice if someone that has used one of these could comment on it.http://cgi.ebay.com/Rollei-Lens-to-...ryZ30059QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In terms of EOS cameras, there does not seem to be a manual/metal camera in the line. The F1 series has a different mount and I suspect this adapter will not work with those cameras.

Based on the review on this site it looks like the EOS 1N might be the camera to get.
    http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/~toomas/photo/canon-current.html

5. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    SL35M in use

After using this camera for a while I am getting more used to it. It actually is a little more sophistocated than the Fuji 701 I had in 1973. The SL 35M has open aperture metereing vs the stop-down metering of the 701. Also the SL35M shows the aperture in the viewfinder whereas the 701 did not.

The think I really did not like about the SL35M was its resemblance to the Zenit-E. My parents got me a Zenit-E for Christmas in 1972 and my brother got an OM-1. I almost cried I was so upset. The SL35M has the same dimensions and the same "Ker-Thunk" from the shutter as the Zenit-E. At least the shutter speed dial doesn't spin as the shutter fires.

My first two rolls of film came out fine. The meter works OK and I am using it with the Zinc/Air batteries and it seems to be close to my other cameras.

6. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When I bought my first new 35mm SLR in 1977 I was faced with the choice between a Rollei SL35M and a Pentax KX, there not being much difference in price. But the Rollei felt clunky and less well engineered than the Pentax as well as being a bit larger. So I bought the Pentax and never regretted it. I still have it but it doesn't get much use these days.

7. reub2000

reub2000 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Buying an EOS camera to use a Rollei lens seems to be a very silly idea to me. You are correct, the F1 is an FD mount, and is incompatible with the EF mount used on EOS cameras. Canon did make the EF-M which is a manual focus camera with a EF lens mount. It has autoexposure, and I think it was only made in limited quantities. This article contains some good information on using non-canon lenses on EOS cameras.

8. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really am ignorant of any thing Cannon post the F1, but are you implying that if one had the EOS camera, one could just use the EOS lenses? I did a quick internet search and found that "full time manual focus" is some kind of extra feature that is not included on all lenses. I wonder how much would it cost to replace my 28/2.0, 18/4, 16/2.8, 35/1.4, 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 135/2.8 and 60/2.8makro lenses with the manual focus EOS lenses? It would be nice to have a set of nice modern lenses.

15/2.8 Fisheye = $560 for 16/2.8
    20/2.8 = $400 for 18/4
    50/2.8 macro = $230 for 60/2.8 makro
    50/1.4 = $300 for 50/1.4
    28/1.8 = $400 for 28/2.0
    35/1.4 = $1100 for 35/1.4
    35/2.0 = $220 for compact 35/2.8
    135/2.0 = $900 for 135/2.8

$4110 total.

Seemed like a good idea until I added it all up. Plus, I'm not shure how well they manual focus. Also, my Zeiss lenses are durable metal, are not these EOS lenses made of plastic and will they still work when the electronic gizmoz break. (I don't mean the lens elements, which I am taking for granted are going to be as good or superior to the Zeiss lenses).

9. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All Canon EOS lenses are capable of being manually focused in addition to auto-focusing. You just have to switch the lens into manual-focus mode. Before you go bashing the build quality of EOS lenses, try handling some of the L-series lenses with cast metal bodies. Or even the black-bodied L-series lenses. They have metal chassis and lensmounts. Just because something is metal doesn't mean it is automatically superior, and just because something is less-automated doesn't mean it is inferior either.

10. reub2000

reub2000 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Full time manual, often abbreviated FTM means that the lens can always be manually focused. It has to do with the Ultrasonic Motor inside of the lens. Non-USM lenses have a switch on the barrel that has to be switched to the MF position to manually focus. On some lenses, like the 24mm f/2.8 it means that the focus ring gets disconnected. On lenses like the 50mm f/1.8, you will feel a lot of resistance on the focusing ring, and risk damaging the focusing gears if you turn the focusing ring. With a USM lens, you can turn the focusing ring even when the lens is set to AF.

You can get the adapter for using the rollei lenses, and and then manual focus the lenses. You would also have to use stopdown metering which means stopping down your lens to the desired aperture before taking a meter reading.

11. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So how is the manual focusing done? Does the ring control the motor or does it actually focus the lens. I didn't mean to bash them, I just don't know. If you use them and say they are durable then that is good to know.

12. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lots of good info there! Thank you for the link.

13. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BTW: If one WERE to start up with a fresh 35mm FILM based system, are there any current METAL, MANUAL 35mm SLR cameras?

I guess I am answering my own question with a trip to the B&H site. They show:

Vivitar 3800 (K-mount)
    Nikon FM-10 (Nikon mount)
    Bessaflex (Screw mount)
    (any others out there?)
    Of the three I am not shure which, if any are metal.

I guess I could ask the same question for 35mm RANGEFINDERS.

At the B&H site I got:

Leica M
    Various Bessas
    Zeiss
    Rollei RF 35
    Nikon S3
    (They don't make the manual focus Contax any more?)
    Any I left out?

Looks like the rangefinder offerings are quite good but the SLRs are kind of 'beginner' or 'student' cameras.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. reub2000

reub2000 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    On the 85 f/1.2L the focus is fly-by-wire. Otherwise, on all of the other lenses the focusing ring is mechanically linked to the focusing group on the lens.

16. reub2000

reub2000 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Manual focus SLRs are really just being manufactured for students right now, because that's who uses them. Rangefinders are nice cameras and make excellent walk around cameras. The used market is saturated with manual focus SLRs. Pick up something like an Olympus OM.

17. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I already have a 'vintage' Rollei system that I love and plenty of vintage mechanical cameras, including a mint OM1. The reason to buy more cameras/lenses would be to go to a system that is currently in production, assuming there would be some solitude in thiking it could be repaired/replace if it breaks.

18. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I may have to go to the store and try one out. I do have an auto focus digital that makes me nauseated to try and use. I got it only for documentation and internet posting (http://www.apug.org/forums/437328-post428.html)

19. reub2000

reub2000 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    AF on an SLR is different than the autofocus on point and shoot cameras. Generally you have more options, making it easier to control the autofocus. The autofocus sensor can be selected, and by half pressing the shutter button, you can focus and recompose.

20. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

The SL35M is a plastic Zeiss Icarex, produced shortly after the Icarex was discontinued. Same meter, focusing screen and shutter sound. Rollei lens mount of course.
    Mark

21. bcostin

bcostin Member

I have a similar EOS/QBM adapter I purchased from eBay a few years ago. My late father was a big Rollei SLR fan and left me a number of lenses, which I use regularly on my EOS digital and film bodies. The adapter is dead simple to use and works well, particularly if you already enjoy fully manual focus and metering.

My last Rollei SLR (also an SL-35E) up and died recently so the adapter is the only way I currently use these lenses. The only problem I've had so far is when using the Planar 50/1.8 on a film body. When set to infinity, the flange around the rear element extends just far enough into the body to catch the mirror. None of the other lenses I've tested has had this problem and it might well be design flaw with this particular older adapter.

No, it won't work with an old FD-mount body. It's true that EOS cameras aren't metal bodied but they are darn sturdy, especially the professional and semi-pro models with a full metal frame and metal lens mount. They've been around for about 20 years now and a lot of the early bodies and lenses are still in use. I just bought an older Canon EOS 630 (made in 1989) for $40. This model has interchangeable focus screens (see KEH) so I can insert a standard split prism screen in place of the clear autofocus screen standard with the camera.

22. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The FM-10 is mainly of plastic construction

23. alex66

alex66 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would if I was in your shoes scour the bay used dealers etc for a while to work out the average prices of various bodies and then get a few spare, If you watch the bay for auctionsthat are wrongly listed or finnish when not a lot of peeps can get on line you could (I hope) get enough bodies to cover a good few years shooting. The problem with adaptors is that there is always some compromise. Anyway best of luck

24. Vanishing Point Ent.

Vanishing Point Ent. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Upgrade to Carl Zeiss lenses.

Where to begin;

Option 1. Yes, because the flange distance is the greatest on a Canon, it's true, that everybody else's lens wil fit on a Canon. Also, yes there are Rollei lens, to Canon EOS camera adapters, available on eBay. So if you're intent on keeping you old Rollei lenses than this is the way to go. Personally, I'd suggest an RT, or a 1n RS.
    Since you have to shoot the lenses in stopped down mode anyway, get some enjoyment from it.

Option 2. If you are ready to get rid of your antiquated lenses, then let me suggest the new Carl Zeiss " Z " series.
    These are up to date Carl Zeiss, manual focusing lenses, made in 4 different mounts; Canon " EF ", Nikon " F ", Sony " AF " & Pentax " K " mounts. This would alow you a greater selection of bodies from which to choose.

25. Hamster

Hamster Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Apparently back in the 80's there was a crazy in converting Spotmatics to Rollei mount.

26. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Actually, it's because the flange distance is the one of the SHORTEST that most other lenses can be adapted to fit on a Canon . Unfortunately, Canon FD flange to focal plane distance is even shorter, which is why Canon FD lenses can't be mounted on Canon EOS, without an adapter that includes an optical element that degrades the quality.