New York Institute of Photography

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Daniel_OB, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Daniel_OB

Daniel_OB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    New York Institute of Photography has a program for professional photographers. It stretches from 8 mo up to 3 years (up to student).

Comparing to other top level schools in US, what is reputation and teachers knowledge in that school.
    I am not very familiar with education system in US. They claim it is faculty. Is it? To me faculty is a part of university (e.g. medical faculty, faculty of technology,...).

Thanks

2. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The only thing I know about them, is taking a correspondance course from them 20+ years ago. They have been around for decades.

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    daniel

i worked for a lady who took correspondance classes from them
    in the 1920s/1930s .. i would imagine they are as good now as they
    were then ( if that makes sense ... )

4. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  5. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    They've been around "forever" and are very good.....at making money! :wink:

6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    In the US "faculty" doesn't imply university affiliation--just that it's an educational institution and the "faculty" is comprised of the people who teach in it.

They do seem to have been around forever, but I've always been a little skeptical about it. If you look at the photographs on their website, for instance, they don't seem that impressive.

7. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    About 10-12 years ago I was interested in NYIP. They provided me with a number of professional photographers for references (sorry I don't remember who any of them were). I emailed 2 of them and got the same response from both which was basically "Not a bad school, but you could do just as well by photographing a lot and learning on your own" which is essentially what I did.

I wish APUG was around back then. With all of the information available here I would have saved myself lots of money and time.

8. Early Riser

Early Riser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the early 1980's I taught at a school called Germain school of photography, I think they were bought out by NYIP. If the program is similar I would think that if you were fairly novice you might learn some things there, at least the basics. If you're looking for a more thorough photographic education in the NYC area you might want to look into School of Visual Arts (where I attended in the 70's and also taught in the 80's) or north and west of NYC apply to RIT. Both SVA and RIT have bachelor's programs. International Center of Photography also has some educational programs and some first rate instructors.

There are some excellent photography schools on the west coast, Brooks and Art Center. I think you may also need to see what area of photography most interests you and then see which school might have an advantage in that area. Good luck.

9. HerrBremerhaven

HerrBremerhaven Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have to wonder about the effectiveness of their program. Earlier this year one of the stylists I was working with on a few shoots mentioned taking courses at NYIP for about half a year. She really seemed to have no clue how aperture affected DOF, nor the relationship of aperture and shutter for controlling exposure. I think those are extremely basic; something that most beginning photography courses in college cover in the first few classes, and then reinforce those lessons.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

10. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ahem...does the phrase "Correspondence School" come to mind?

"If you can draw this picture, you too can become an Artist."

"Learn to be an Auto Mechanic. Make big $$$."

Anyone got a match?

11. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the lady i worked for shot 5x7 retouched film with leads
    and her work looked like karsh did it ...
    she shot governors, ceos, big-shots :wink:
    maybe back then, it was different ?

she shot her assignments, mailed them from maine
    to nyc, and then in the middle of the great depression,
    she travelled to nyc to take her practicals/exams and
    take her retouching classes ...

( i have the coursebooks from the 40s and 50s that i picked up at a junk store
    for cheep. i use them as a reference all the time.)

20 years ago i took classes with students that
    didn't know the relationship between fstop, shutter speed and asa,
    they could barely figure out how to use their in-camera lightmeter ... :wink:

correspondance, internet, tv, live school .. you get out of it what you put into it.

12. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly right.

13. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  16. Daniel_OB

Daniel_OB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys a lot for your time.
    What I am actually interested is to get some “certificate” (paper) I can hang in my studio for customer to see it. It should serve just as a commercial ad, rather than my diploma from Academy, which God alone knows where is it (and even was not English). I have no intention to pay 40-50K for some uga-buga school to get nothing out of it.
    So the best is some quick certificate with nice name that can impress, low cost, and if can learn something on the way even better.

www.Leica-R.com

17. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I found a completed set of the NYIP course from 1955! It was in modular form and the completed sets and exams were neatly filed in an 8 inch thick canvas notebook bearing the school's name. The student was a man living in Tulsa, Ok. He made his payments monthly and all receipts were in good order. He scored well on all of his tests and I only wish I could see some of his work. I would imagine that NYIP would be very helpful for people living in far-flung places without local access to instruction as well as those seeking a structured learning situation without the the high tuition of formal schools.

I know that NYIP had a retouching course that I was interested in but when I called to inquire (a few years back) I was told that it was no longer available. I found it interesting that NYIP WILL school a student through the program while he/she develops his own film and prints in either b/w or color. I imagine that could be interesting!

I read in couple of articles over the years that several top name photographers have been through NYIP's course. As has been said already- you'll get out of it what you put into it.

I used to tell prospective photographers all they really need to take is Photo 101 and 102 concurrently (with 102 being film processing and printing) at any Jr. college and they would be good to go. Not sure how many JCs still have darkrooms today though. :sad:

18. r-brian

r-brian Member

I took the NYIP course for about the same reason you are thinking about it. To have a piece of paper that might make marketing myself as a photographer easier. The course itself is nothing more than what you can learn out of one good book on photography. The book might cost you $24, NYIP $500 or more. Personally, I think it is a waste of money. If you want to impress a potential client, have a good portfolio.

19. jolynned

jolynned Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This doesn't have to do with NYIP but someone mentioned the Brooks Institute out in Santa Barbara, CA. I contacted them last month because I was interested in their program and as of May 2007 they are now all digital. If you have a background in LF you can jump into their Master's program for the next year or two until they phase out all the film students. :sad:

20. Chris Breitenstein

Chris Breitenstein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Sorry! Go Fish.

21. HerrBremerhaven

HerrBremerhaven Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Brooks in Santa Barbara does not have nearly the reputation they had decades ago. I know several recent graduates from there. All of them wished they had gone to other schools. Brooks had even lost their accreditation for a while, and went through a few lawsuits from former students. Honestly, it seems they are banking more on their past name than offering anything beyond other similarly priced schools. This does not even go into the fact that there are no photography jobs in Santa Barbara, and it is not close enough to Los Angeles to provide good networking opportunities.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

22. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I used to live about 80 miles from Brooks between 15 and 20 years ago, and went there more than once to see what it was like: it was surprisingly easy to wander in and out, and I often had time to kill in Sta. Barbara while waiting to have my E6 processed. They did not look very impressive then, and a young friend who attended the school left to go elsewhere.

23. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Unbelievable!!! If all you want is a fancy certificate why not print one out on your printer. How about a Phd in Photography from the U. of Agfa? :rolleyes:

24. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format

A man who ran a very successful string instrument rental, repair, and retail enterprise more or less did just that. He actually published a book about some aspect of that business (he gave me a copy, but I never read it) and credited himself as a "Doctor of Instrument Science" or some such invention. It made him feel important, I guess, but, considering the sophistication of his clientele, I've often wondered if he were laughed at for such transparent fictional puffery.

OTOH...if you don't overdo it, making up your own diploma sounds like a fine idea. It's not like your offering a credential to an employer. You're just putting a label on the sum of your years of experience for customers to appreciate. You could even get something in Latin to the effect that "This is complete nonesense, but it looks good". Maybe Jack Straw (Michael Newman) could help. He has a copious signature in Latin here. I, on the other hand, did less well in Latin than Og, the Visigoth.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2007
  25. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The two best credentials I've ever seen are, "PhD (thesis pending)", and "MA (failed)". These were both following signatures of course, not diplomas on a wall.

26. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good ones! How about a certificate: "The Queen's Society for the Photographic Arts HALL of FAME" :D