New York Photo Labs

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Nhung, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Nhung

Nhung Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Hi all

i will be staying in new york for a couple of weeks and plan to shoot quite a few rolls of film. rather than pay for expensive processing costs when i get back to the UK, i wondered if any of you New Yorkers could recommend a cheap, and decent photo lab to take my films to. i plan to shoot both 35mm and medium format.

any help will be much appreciated. thanks!

2. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    For my Black & White I've usually gone to B & H Photo (www.bhphotovideo.com) where they've provided processing and proofs for a reasonable price and good work. They outsource the jobs (I think) so one simply hands ones work over the counter and gets it back later without the scope of talking it through with the hands-on-person. Still it beats worrying about x-ray scanners at airports for me. cheers, sam

4. degruyl

degruyl Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would have recommended duggal, but someone beat me to it. I have hear good things about LTI http://www.ltiny.com/

There are several labs still fully operational in NYC, but turnaround time can be the killer. Do not ask for rush service if you want cheap.

5. Nhung

Nhung Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    that's great. thanks for these.

@samcomet : yes. xrays are another reason i dont want to carry all my films home

@ degruyl : turnaround time is definitely another factor, i'm not going to be there long enough to be able to wait ages to get the films back

6. degruyl

degruyl Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, in NYC, rush is usually "same day service". Just ask how long it will take, and if it is too long, carry it home with you.

7. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've used both Duggal and LTI. Both are great. Both are as fast as you need. Duggal may be a bit more expensive, but it is also a much more glamorous affair. Their reception is loaded with huge Cibas and other amazing work. It's fun just walking in.

8. Nhung

Nhung Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    thanks a lot. it's good to have multiple recommendations for a place

..... on a similar note do any of these places sell darkroom chemicals, just in case i am able to put together a temporary set up?

9. degruyl

degruyl Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    B&H... 9th avenue between 33rd and 34th. It is ... huge.

10. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Agree with Beards and Hats, but if you're going to duggal or lti, then adorama or calumet are closer. I'm not sure if calumet still has darkroom stuff. Call ahead for either.

11. Hiernst

Hiernst Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For labs, Duggal definitely has the reputation, but when I brought them some B&W film to develop - they didn't do a very good job - crazy thin negatives. After that, and not wanting to run the risk of another bad batch of film, I decided to just go back to an old convenient, non-glamorous stop from my undergrad days - Imagination Photo Lab. I've had B&W and color done there and I've never had a problem.

12. Nhung

Nhung Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    great thanks again :smile:

13. tim elder

tim elder Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might also want to check out Print Space on 19th Street, a rental darkroom that has the space and chemicals to process B&W films yourself. I haven't been there in years but they used to have a C-41 line and I think they still do.

Tim

14. digitizedchaos

digitizedchaos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    resurrecting this thread, i've called up duggal and they're still processing, other than that, any other labs you guys like to send film for processing?

15. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I saw "Searching for Vivian Maier" the other day, and had the impression that Mr. Maloof was having those prints made in a pro NY lab. I've got to admit I'd never seen a print dryer that large before. Anyone know which place that was?

16. Alan Klein

Alan Klein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use LTI Lightside. Ask for Bernard. Tell him I recommended them to you.

17. digitizedchaos

digitizedchaos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great, will do!
    Got quotes from Luster, LTI, Duggal & Accurate and if I have to factor in turn around time for processing 35mm, 120 & 220, LTI's the place to go.

18. samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm not a big fan on TSA security scanners at airports so when I travel I try to find local film processing. I shoot high speed B & W and I've tried Duggal who were ok technically but treated me a tad offhand as I was not a "big" client. I went around the corner to Chelsea Photographic who treated me wonderfully and also does a fine job. I've been going to Chelsea for the past 6 years over 3 sojourns to NYC from Oz with no complaints. You may want to look them up. Cheers, Sam