New Zeiss Ikonta folder

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by stradibarrius, Jul 26, 2012.

1. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I picked up a Zeiss Ikonta folder the other day. The focus is set by distance and not through the lens, which is a bit different, but I was amazed at the "look" of the shot! Something "Old School".
    What else would I expect from a camera that is 60+ years old???
    Anyway I liked the look. It has a Prontor SV shutter and a Novar astigmatic 105mm f/4.5 lens.
    The sample photo was just one of the test shots in late afternoon sun but it holds up to a 100% crop!

Attached Files:

2. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow. That is just beautiful. Isn't it cool to have a medium format camera that folds up and fits in your jacket pocket? I have a 6x6 Ikonta of about the same vintage and it really is an amazingly fun camera to shoot. I recently had it CLA'd. Before that the shutter speeds were merely suggestions, but now they are spot on. It's incredible to think that a mechanism that simple and that old can be so accurate with only a little care. Congratulations, you are going to love this camera.

3. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Love my Super Ikonta IV

Ikonta.jpg My girlfriend gave me her father's old Zeiss Super Ikonta IV. I took it to our South East Asia trip. The lens is sharp and the built-in selenium meter is very accurate. This shot was done on Fuji Acros processed in Xtol. I think my camera is a about 50 years old.

4. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They are fun! I guess I was just surprised at the way the lens rendered the afternoon light.

5. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stradibarrius - You're right. It looks like a still from a Jimmy Stewart movie.

6. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I almost bought one and picked up a Mamiya 645 instead, good shots though. I might have to get one anyway

7. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    j-dogg, which one were you looking at? I salivate for one like Mainecoonmaniac has.

8. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ikonta's are great cameras, I have an Ikonta B, pop up viewfinder, nova lens, and I love using it,

9. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an Ikonta IV, as well. Excellent camera!

Here's a hint.

Film manufactured today has a thinner leader paper than film manufactured when the camera was new. Because of this, your images might overlap, frame to frame, on the film. This is because the diameter of the takeup roll is smaller due to the thinner leader paper.

In order to prevent this, take a piece of black gaffer's tape approx. 2 in. square and stick it to the back of the leader paper, just after you put the film in but before you wind the film to the start mark. This extra thickness adds just enough extra thickness to compensate.

Some guys wrap the tape around the takeup spool before they put the film on but I find easier to just keep several pre-cut squares of gaff tape stuck to the inside of my case and peel them off to use when I need them.

Other than that, it's fine camera. :smile:

10. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like great pictures, love those old cameras!

Jeff

11. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found that out the hard way. All my shots done on Arista EDU 400 were fine. The shots done with Fuji Acros with the thin backing overlapped slightly. I originally tested Fuji Acros on my RZ and I liked the film. I should have tested the film on the Super Ikonta IV :sad:

12. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is it thinner paper, or thinner film base?

13. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How do you focus with out a RF? Is it like a slr where you can see if the area is in focus, or you just guess? Nice pictures, I think I am interested in trying them out. :smile:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You set the focus by the distance scale on the lens. You have to be fairly accurate guessing distance or rely on DOF to get it right. I love using these old folders, I modify Kodak Tourists for 120 film.

16. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably both

I think it's the both. Acros isn't so thin that it's a pain to load on the reel. However, it advances easier because of the film and the backing paper's thinness. Beautiful film processed in Xtol. I like Arista EDU in HC-110.

17. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And I'm sure you know that the Novar is a three-element lens and thus "inferior."

18. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Rick, define "inferior"??? Is that based on charts and tables or on photographs?

19. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Guessing distances is not so hard. I judge how many times I could lie down in the space between me and the subject. Each lie-down is two meters (ok, 2 metres shy of 2 cms). If there are too many 'lie-downs' involved, use hyperfocal focussing. At f11, a pre-war Novar has a hyperfocal distance of eight metres - anything over four metres will be in focus.

I find the Novar lens to be pretty good, especially when stopped down to f8 or less, and well colour corrected.

000014.jpg

20. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nick Merritt is joking. Novars do tend to vignette or get a bit soft when opened up (mine does, anyway), and so people claim they are inferior, but in most circumstances they are every bit as good as a Tessar.

21. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great system:munch:

The Novar on my 521/16 has a nice feature to assist the shooter. There is a little dot on the distance ring, just beyond 8 meters; another on the aperture, just short of f11. I shot a roll on the street using this setting and the whole thing came out real nice.

22. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's probably older than that.

Steve.

23. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is how I know what the hyperfocal distance is!

24. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Novar was the cheaper option not as good as the Tessar wider open but as has been said abopve is usuallya good performer stopped down, but then that's true of any triplet lens.

The Novar on my Ikonta is unuseable due to poor contrast and low resolution, the 1930's versions tend to go soft with age due to the type of glass used, I have two spares new ones , the first is again 1930's in a great Compur shutter but the lens looks hazy the other's a coated post WWII lens which should make the camera useable at last :D

Ian

25. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With a 105mm lens, it should be a 6x9 camera, which is a particularly fun format because you can contact print it. The resulting prints look small to a modern viewer, but they were the normal print size for a generation or two, before 35mm took over the world; you can still find little cheap frames in this size at craft stores and so on.

Also, the larger format can really show off the "inferior" properties of the triplet lens---you're likely to see a lot of vignetting and interesting softness in the corners, especially at wider apertures. I think that's part of what creates the "vintage" impression; it can also be quite effective at drawing attention to a central subject.

There should be a model number---for 6x9, I think it's always 520, 521, or 523---embossed in the leatherette at one end of the body. That'll get you an approximate date range, if you care.

-NT

26. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have fun with your camera! I just cleaned my super ikonta iv. One of the trickier ones to put back together.

Sharp lens, smooth controls, good rf contrast. These folders are so compact for carrying. And they do draw inquisitive looks from people.