Newark, Delaware??

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by FM2N, Feb 26, 2010.

1. FM2N

FM2N Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,
    My wife and i may be moving to Newark, DE and was wondering if anyone out there lives in the town or near it?? Any info for or against would be greatly welcomed.
    Arthur, NYC

2. Tom Nutter

Tom Nutter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I live in Newark, Nice little town. Main street is a little overrun by chain stores now instead of the unique little places that made it special---Like the Stone Balloon, for instance. Newark is home to the University of Delaware--lots of students around, definitely a presence but not overbearing. It's just a little quieter in the summer though. One Camera shop--- Cameras, etc.---A good one at least....actually two shops, but Newark camera is not what it used to be. Skip grottos and get yer pizza at Margharitas or Peace of Pizza (Not a misprint) and stay away from the post office at peak times. What else would you like to know?

3. billbretz

billbretz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Arthur - Coming from little ol' NYC, you will find Newark overwhelming. Actually, nice college town. Maybe not for everyone.

4. billbretz

billbretz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Biggest problem with Newark is Tom Nutter. Avoid him!

5. billbretz

billbretz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, Tom has a nice show opening on March 5, if you (or anyone else) is going to be around. Actually, it is in Wilmington, the superior Delaware city. Tell us more about it, Tom, maybe in a separate posting.

6. Tom Nutter

Tom Nutter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Biggest problem with Newark is that there are tooo many photographers around....LOL! Yes the show is a Colourworks in Wilmington here is a llink to the info: http://www.tomnutter.blogspot.com

And to get this thread back on track....There IS a fairly vibrant art scene around Newark and Wilmington. The Newark Arts alliance, the Delaware Center for Contemporary Arts, in Wilmington, and of course the Delaware Art museum, to name a few. Lots to do in Newark, or around Newark, and I-95 is easy to get to as well if you find a need to go some place like New Jersey, although again, the Delaware beaches are cleaner, better, and less crowded.

7. Rusted Chrome

Rusted Chrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hey, there really are other photographers around! I'm new to this forum as I've just gotten back into shooting with film. I live up the road from Newark and it is a pretty nice place as long as you are not where the college parties are happening. (Or if you are into that, maybe that makes it nicer) :tongue:

I hope to check out your show Tom.

8. FM2N

FM2N Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not sure what i am looking for. My wife is in the running for a position at the University and we have never been before. Just wondering what people who live there or near think of the town.
    Thanks for the info, keep it comning.
    Arthur

9. Tom Nutter

Tom Nutter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  10. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    One thing for all to know: It's pronounced New Ark, not like the abomination in New Jersey. .

11. FM2N

FM2N Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How about the weather? What is it like in the summer?

12. Tom Nutter

Tom Nutter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Often humid (90%), and usually drought-ish around August, but no worse than NYC. In winter, all you have to do is say "Snow" and panic sets in, especially atthe grocery stores.

It's only about two-and a half hours south of NYC--best thing would be to come to town and check it out. The parking meters only take quarters. THE UD campus is very pretty.

13. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I live in Milton to the south and frequent Cameras Etc often. vanderwaterk lives in Milford. Sam Hotton is in Salisbury, MD. sage is in Bel Air, MD. There are a few of us around.

There's also a Mid-Atlantic regional group here on APUG with even more members in the area.

14. FM2N

FM2N Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am here. Any interesting places to shoot?? Does everything always close at around 6pm?
    Arthur

15. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Posted wirelessly..

Lum's Pond. Fort Delaware. Valley Forge. Anywhere in Lancaster Co. Brandywine area. There,s a wildlife area along to C and D. And a good long weekend ride down Rt 9 as far as Liepsic is in order. Even more down here.

16. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format