Newbie 500cm question

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by eskyone, Jul 27, 2011.

1. eskyone

eskyone Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think I have the lens and body figured out. What I'm not familiar with is the cycle of operation. When I trip the shutter am I supposed to keep the release depressed until the shutter closes? I'm familiar with Pentax67 operation. I release the shutter. Mirror moves up, baffles open, film is exposed, baffles close. Lens and body need to be recocked which opens up the lens(the diaphragm blades were stopped down) and film advances. This sound correct? I was not expecting to see the lens aperture blades closed after releasing the shutter and I thought something was wrong. Thanks for The assist.

2. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You need to keep the button held until the shutter closes. The reason is a Hasselblad has a pair of doors in the back, right in front of the film, that protect the film when you change lenses. The Operation cycle is that when you push the shutter release, the following happens:

1) Shutter in the lens closes and aperture stops down

2) Mirror moves up and the doors in the back open

3) The shutter in the lens opens, times, then closes

4) the doors in the back stay open as long as you hold down the shutter button. If you release the shutter button too soon, the back doors will close before the shutter in the lens is done with the exposure (if you use a long exposure like 1/8 or longer). You'll hear the doors snap shut when you let off the shutter release.

5) The mirror stays up and the shutter in the lens closed. This camera does not have in instant return mirror like the Pentax 6x7 and 645 and Mamya 645 cameras do. Winding the film opens the shutter and lowers the mirror.

3. eskyone

eskyone Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Awesome. Thank you!

4. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, what they said. :smile:

6. eskyone

eskyone Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Offer

Thank you for the responses. I'm the proud owner of a used 500cm. I was able to land a good deal - 80 and 150mm lenses, back, waistlevel finder. Subsequent to my purchase, the seller has offered me a 50mm lens and additional back for $450.00. I've checked on some KEH prices, and it seems like a good price. Any thoughts?

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depends on the condition and whether it is a C or CF. I paid $800 for the 50mm CF.

Steve

8. eskyone

eskyone Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    C

I expect that it is the C *T len, similar to the two he already sold me. The lenses that I have a very nice, glass is clear, clean.

9. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I believe you only need to keep the shutter down on the speeds marked with the red/orange line over them (1/4, 1/2 and 1sec). Of course it's a good habit to just hold it down.

10. jbbooks

jbbooks Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depends on how quick on (or, off) the trigger you are. Those speeds are marked to remind you to hold the shutter down longer than you normally would.

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is good technique, no matter which shutter speed to squeeze the shutter release, pause, and then slowly release it.

For any camera :smile:.