Newbie asking questions

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by salan, Jan 27, 2011.

1. salan

salan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All,
    I have been a member of this site for many years. But I fell off the wagon and went to the dark side(*sigh*). anyway A good friend of mine who is a member here, has sparked my interest in using actual film again.
    I am looking at doing B&W in film(you just can't beat it!).
    I am mainly going to be doing MF (with a little 35mm).
    To start with I intend to dust off the developing stuff and develop the film then scan it (only for now until I get back into things!).
    I am interested in really slow films with extra fine grain (Bring back 6 iso thats what I say lol).
    So my question iscan anyone reccomend somewhere (pref in the UK) to buy my film from?
    I used to use Ilford (they are just down the road) and loved pan F
    But I was always blown by agfapan APX25.
    So a few films have been reccomended but I am finding it difficult to find sources in the Uk.
    It is it just easier to buy from croatia etc direct?
    What about postage (been stung by tax and postage costing me three times the price of the product in the past!).
    all suggestions welcome.
    Thank
    Alan

2. stillsilver

stillsilver Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pan F in Perceptol. You won't go wrong. Welcome back from the 'other' side.

Mike

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A superb combination if you always work with a tripod, particualrly with the Perceptol at 1+2.

APX25 in Rodinal was my own preferred choice, but the film's long gone and some key chemistry's no longer made so Mirko/Adox can't re-introduce it.

However Adox CHS/EFKE 25 is another option, I process mine in Pyrocat HD.

Ian

4. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ag Photographic and Silverprint are your two main sources. The first will ship smaller items at a lower cost and is quite happy to talk for hours on the phone. Silverprint is great if your order tops £100 and can supply hard to find stuff like raw chemicals.

If you seek grainless images then PanF in a pyro is probably about as good as you'll get in MF. The next step is to move up a size or three :laugh:

5. salan

salan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great and thanks for the replies.
    Pan F it is for now then.
    Yes I would love a LF camera, but the cost is just too much (for now).
    I have got rid of a lot of cameras but some will be in the box with me when I go.
    Alan

6. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PanF+ for sure.

I went digital for a year too but it just doesn't look right to me. Got some good pictures but highlights, shadows, colors... overall the feeling just isn't there.

7. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My strategy at the moment is to buy film in largish quantities (20 or more at a time) by mail. Great choice, convenient if you don't live near a well-supplied shop, and you even save something.

Fabrizio

8. Michael R 1974

Michael R 1974 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't rule out Delta 100. I've tested it in various developers against Pan F, including Perceptol (my standard developer) at various dilutions. There is virtually no difference in granularity. So I'm not saying Pan F/Perceptol isn't a great combination, but I though it relevant to suggesting Delta as a possible alternative (depending on the type of photography you're doing). For example, with long exposures Delta has less reciprocity departure. It also has a much longer straight line curve than Pan F, which makes higher contrast situations much easier to control.

9. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm a big fan of Pan F+, in various developers including Ilfosol 3 and Paterson Aculux-3. Particularly shot with an orange filter in good light. I also find a get comparable levels of grain and very nice tones from Fuji Acros and sometimes the extra stop of speed is useful.

I buy film from Ag-Photographic, Silverprint, 7Dayshop and Mathers of Lancashire, depending on what I'm buying and in which quantities.

10. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Delta 100 is one of my favorite films for sure, I shoot much more than PanF+ which is more for special situations. Even in 35mm Delta 100 looks great enlarged. Great sharpness and acutance, small grain, lasts really well, usable at full speed years past expiry.

11. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Oh sure... you say that now.

But soon enough you'll be sneaking about late at night with Tri-X or HP5+ set to 1600 and dunking it into Rodinal for that golf-ball sized grain ! :D

12. srmcnamara

srmcnamara Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Pan-F+ is probably my favorite film "lookwise." I'm not smart enough to explain why, I just know it's a devil to print and when I do it right it looks nice. I wish it came in 4x5.

13. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get my film from 7Dayshop.com but I can heartily recommend RK photographic for your paper. They mistakenly sent (and charged) me a box of 50 16x20 Ilford MGIV RC (instead of 16x12). Anyway, rather than send it back, they said I could keep the 16x20 and pay only for 16x12! They were the cheapest by quite a margin and also very quick. Welcome back BTW.

14. semeuse

semeuse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Adox CMS20 in HC110 is rated at EI6. So there you go. Though I think it's only available in 35mm. And it should be available at Ag Photographic.

15. yeknom02

yeknom02 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm testing a bunch of low-to-medium speed films (in 35mm) at the moment, and I love the look of Efke KB25. (some samples in Rodinal here)

I've heard great things about Kodak Plus-X, so it may be worth it to at least try a roll or two. Otherwise, I'm glad PanF+ is getting a lot of good recommendations on this thread. I'm testing it and FP4+ next.

16. salan

salan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am interested in very slow films of 'times gone past'
    Does anyone know of the slowest film made these days?
    I have used delta and whilst its a great film, its 'not the look I am after'
    Hard to put my finger on but (for now) I am trying to reproduce old pictures and experience the 'fun' of past photographers if that makes sense?
    Alan

17. salan

salan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That was my stock film before.
    Love it.
    Thanks for the suggestions keep them comming!
    I will prob try films in 35mm first before 120 ( cost!).
    Now how to justify a lf camera to the wife!
    Alan

18. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    120 is cheaper by the roll though not by the shot. I actually prefer the fact that it takes fewer shots to finish a 120 roll. And those big negatives are great, since you effectively enlarge the grain less MF appears quite a bit smoother when printed.

19. stillsilver

stillsilver Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alan, tell your wife the LF camera just followed you home.

Or, do as some of us do and have so many cameras that it takes a while for the wives to realize there is a new camera.

Mike

20. stillsilver

stillsilver Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    p.s. watch out for the frying pan.

Mike

21. salan

salan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL well I have tried that about so many cameras in the past. the problem is another 35mm she would not prob notice, but a damn great big things on legs...
    Then again she married a damn great big thing on legs! lol