Newbie Leica M6 meter question

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by pressureworld, May 5, 2014.

1. pressureworld

pressureworld Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello to all. I just purchased a very nice, M6 classic. I immediately changed the batteries, but cannot get the exposure meter to work. Is it supposed to work even though there is no film or lens on the camera. All help would be greatly appreciated.

2. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It won't work without a lens.

3. pressureworld

pressureworld Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank You much, I was almost worried

4. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Been there. Enjoy the M6.

5. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just grabbed one of my M6 bodies to check this. It works fine without a lens - the meter lights up and responds to changes in the shutter speed even without a lens mounted. This is what you'd expect, because the only "communication" between lens and body in an M6 is the mechanical linkage with the rangefinder mechanism.

6. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    make sure the battery is good, make sure it is put in correctly, make sure the battery terminals are clean -- rub them and the battery ends with a pencil eraser.

But, yeah, the meter should do something without a lens. Make sure you cock the shutter and pull the wind lever out so the meter is switched on. Or does the m6 have an on-off switch? Whichever...a stroll through the appropriate owners manual is always a good thing.

7. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    don't use eraser qtip is ok
    battery and battery contacts
    door and door contacts
    sweep the ISO dial
    LEDs come on on 1st pressure if the shutter is not on B.
    mine flattened batteries in gbag but I always wind on and leave at /125
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/leica/leica_m6/leica_m6.htm
    if you still have a problem try/borrow another door

it is a spot so you need to use carefully

8. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Make sure you cock the shutter --> important.
    Wind lever out --> not needed for M6, just half press shutter button.
    On-off switch --> put in on Bulb, lightmeter goes off.

9. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it did work with the old batteries it is probably a corroded contact. Batteries 'settle in' and corrosion can form around the contacts, and then a new battery doesn't touch the same clean part. If it didn't work with the old batteries why did you buy it? As meters are difficult to repair you might want to think about taking it back before scrubbing away at the contacts and doing something the seller can blame on you.

But yes, no doubt, the meter should light up without a lens, there is no electrical or mechanical connection affecting the meter between body and lens.

Steve

10. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A while ago I googled this problem with my m6 draining batteries in a matter of days and followed this advice pasted below. A poke with a pencil and a small slice of electrical tape over the contacts and my last set of batteries has been going for almost a year now. Frustration over!

"Unscrew the battery compartment lid and take out the batteries. Then take a pen or pencil and run it over the two silvery dots at the bottom of the battery chamber. If you can feel that these are above the level of the base of the battery chamber, lightly push on them so that they slide below the base. I improved upon that by taking a small piece of thin, electrical tape and punched out a small circle and stuck it over the two contacts. They are part of a circuit that the technicians use a probe on. They have no function for the metering circuit and if they are too "high" they draw current from the batteries and will drain them quickly. My TTL 0,85 used to through a set of batteries every week or so, but after the 'surgery" they have lasted for several months. I suspect that these contacts are only a push-fit into the base and vibrations from air-travel or cars can cause them to shift slightly and cause the drain."

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=003Eto

11. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm so sorry! I didn't try it with the body cap off! How stupid of me, I was just going on memory. I apologize for passing on faulty information. I hope you get your camera working properly and I'll shut up now.

12. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First, last and always, check the battery.

14. Knjy

Knjy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Very useful Tony, I have this problem and it occurs erratically which had me baffled - some batteries draining some not. I will try the fix
    Kevin

15. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I imagine so far people have responded to the OP in the accomodating way of assuming he isn't a complete idiot, so why assume all the respondents are dipshits just for being polite?

Steve