Newbie, loving every minute just bought an N90s and F5

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by yohimbe2, Jun 10, 2012.

1. yohimbe2

yohimbe2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I shot my first roll of film with my F5 and am BLOWN away ! I started with a D70 years ago--improved my skills and moved up to D90...I'm still learning.

Moving to film has changed the way I shoot and my photography is improving greatly. This F5 is taking amazing pictures.

I think many that came from film to digital might not have a need to go backwards ( all the pros at my shop laugh at me for my new fould love of film)...But for those of us that started with gigital, a move back to film is a GREAT move. I think if you never try it, your missing something very important.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2012
  2. thecameranut

thecameranut Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nice to see I'm not alone... I LOVE FILM

I use a D300, But just LOVE my FT2 and N8008S. The images are gorgeous.

3. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alone?

You are among hundreds of active film users here on APUG. Hardly alone.... I do both digital and film. But for my personal stuff and what matters, I tend to shoot B&W film and process it myself. Spend hours and hours and days and weeks in darkroom for just one image.... There's something different about hand-crafted prints.

Welcome to APUG to both of you from Central Florida... land of alligators.

4. walbergb

walbergb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, the F5 is an amazing camera. I thought it's plethora of features would overwhelm me-trigger ADHD or something-but no! There is something intuitive about using it. The one thing I haven't mastered, yet, are the two dials: which one is for aperture and which for shutter speed? Do I go left to increase, or right? I eventually get there:wink:

5. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice to have another film shooter! but why did you jump to an F5? Yes it offers many features, but it does not benefit a beginner to use such a camera imho, and the price point is also very high still. The N90s on the other hand is a very good choice for someone starting out, it offers pretty much all the pro features minus continuous speed and build robustness and a few other non-critical doodads. I would suggest grabbing the manual for your cameras either in print or online.

6. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG!!! :D

7. yohimbe2

yohimbe2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I went with the f5 as I find many of it features similar to my d90. For example aperture priority and manual mode are very similar on both. I know my way around the Nikons and so far the f5 and n90s seem very similar to the digitals.

To the guy above one dial controls shutter speed and the other controls aperture. (just like the d90).

I also like the way the f5 feels in my hand . If I could go back I could go back I might try an f100. (at $250 excellent condition the f5 was hard to pass up.

8. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi and a warm welcome to APUG!

Jeff

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!

10. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You have two of my favorite Nikon electronic cameras. My all time fav was the F2.

11. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No you're not the only one that enjoys shooting film, after first starting digital. For me, when shooting digital, there is a kind of frenetic pace that ensues. It may not look like it as I'm shooting, but inside there's a nervous intensity. OTOH I find film photography to be calming, relaxing and much more cerebral. Welcome to the forum. :smile:

12. yohimbe2

yohimbe2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just ordered 20 rolls of Velvia 50.

Now, I need a few classic lenses. I've found new glass doenst work so well. Any tips?

13. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Im not familiar with your camera Yohimbe, so I can't give any specific recommendations but I can give you some generalities. I'm a Pentax shooter, so I check out the Pentax forums and read reviews on the various lenses. I'm sure there are such forums for Nikon. I also check out the pictures others are taking with a lens I'm interested in on Flickr, or one of the forums, to get a sense of what the lens shoots like. Then it's off to EBay or one of the forum markets to purchase. If you have a focal length and price range in mind others, may be able to help. sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck with your quest!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. cepwin

cepwin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I got some beautiful prints from a fine art photographer at a local art fair who shoots the F5...absolutely stunning. Now granted it's the photographer not the camera but it shows what this camera is capable of. I just got my first film camera and am awaiting my first set of negatives...so I know the excitement you're feeling.

16. yohimbe2

yohimbe2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm

I've heard good things about the Pentax so I just ordered a k1000 and three lenses off ebay. It should be fun to try something other than Nikon. ( Leica may be next)

17. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice fro $250 you got a good deal! Now shoot away! =]

18. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The K1000 will more than likely need new seals and maybe a clean lube and adjust. Sometimes they work fine though. Which lenses did you pick up?

19. yohimbe2

yohimbe2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm

From the ebay auction (69 bucks)

Selling a Vintage Pentax Asahi K1000 35mm SLR Film Camera with 3 Lenses. Includes one SMC Pentax-A 1:2 50mm Lens in good condition and 1 Rokinon Auto 1:2.8 Lens and 1 Sakar Auto MC 1:2.5 135mm Lens. The optics on lenses look good. The camera is in good working condition and all functions work. It will need a new battery. Camera shows wear but is mechanically sound. This vintage camera is from around 1976 and is in good vintage condition seeing as it is 40+ years old. This is the model which many of the famous photographers used in the mid 1970's. It is still being used to this date.

20. photogolf

photogolf Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looking at mine right now. Along with my Nikon F4 and FE2, this three camera combo gives me happiness when I look at the prints.
    As for lens use, I mainly use my Nikon Series E (50.18 and 75-150mm) lenses. I have also shot with my 85mm 1.8 AFD and 70-300mm VR lenses as well.
    Shoot alot and have fun with it. Don't be alarmed when someone says.."Hey You Have A Real Camera"

21. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

GAS Attack! Must buy more camera equipment NOW!

22. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now, Steve. Breathe in. Breathe out.

Sent via the nether regions of mobility...

23. yohimbe2

yohimbe2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm

I dont get the joke. Explain?

24. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    GAS stands for gear acquisition syndrome. When one does not feel complete until the next piece of gear is had in hand, it's a repetitive pocket emptying spiral for photographers.

25. yohimbe2

yohimbe2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Man I feel bloated....I decided against the Nikon D800 and am collecting old film cameras instead.

I have an N90s, F5 and Pentax K1000. What else is a must have for old film cameras? I want more ! So cheap---------and so good.

26. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Uh oh... Dont blame me but the little bird tells me to mention going bigger... Panoramic 35mm, MF, LF. Though the bigger you go the bigger the hole in your pocket, as well as the grin on your face when you see the negs and prints. Don't forget to start building your darkroom, that's the other side of analog fun :smile: