newbie needs help with enlarger

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by cleber figueiredo, May 4, 2009.

1. cleber figueiredo

cleber figueiredo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    after almost a year shooting film again, i crossed with a guy selling an old meopta opemus 6x6 and went for it. i've looked on meota website, but could not precise the year or model of it... maybe they changed names to sell in brazil?

anyway... it took me a long time to clean it properly, replace the cables and switches, and also buy all the other things needed - lamps, trays, paper, etc.

now what is holding me is the lens... and i need your help on that.

the lens that came with it is a belar 75mm f4.5, and it is hazy... i took it to my repairman, and he said he could not get rid of the haze. even on simple tests i feel a lack of sharpness - films with huge grain and i can see none, details i can see with my loupe but not on the enlarger... disappointing enough to make me stop and reconsider...

there is no way i can find/afford a better enlarger over here. so i think i've married with this one!

all i need to know are the options...

1. wich lenses have this odd 23.5mm thread? is there a list somewhere?
    2. how easy it is to make another lens board, with a proper m39 thread? is it even possible?

i've been searching and emailing a lot about this matter. even got in contact with fotoimpex in berlin, but they have not the lens board i need. right now i'm watching ebay - see if some 75-80mm lenses with this thread will show up there.

well, thank you very much... you can imagine how i'm itching to start the damn thing!

Attached Files:

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.

According to this manual for a slightly newer Opemus 6 Standard they made 4 lenses with that smaller M23.5 x 0.5 thread:

Belar 4.5/50 #392 812 110 262 (that you have now, but hazy)
    Anaret 4.5/50 #392 812 10 239 (don't confuse with Anaret S that has Leica M39 thread)
    Anaret 4.5/30 #392 812 110 271
    Anaret 4.5/80 #392 812 110 245 (don't confuse with Anaret S that has Leca M39 thread)

I'd search the internet for one of those. I think the later enlargers used a larger lensboard that may not fit your enlarger.

3. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Schneider Componons came in that thread as well. Also it wouldn't be difficult to bore and rethread that lens board for a 39mm lens.

4. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I believe there is an adapter for that which allows one to use 39mm lenses.
    As Bob-D659 says, however, it might be possible to bore out the lens board. It might not have to be threaded if there is enough room for a jam nut.

Your enlarger brings back memories. We had one in the college darkroom where I spent far too much time in the early 1960s. It's really a capable enlarger.

I believe the Schneider thread is 25 mm.

Let us know how you make out.

5. ickball

ickball Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    i have a fujimoto enlarger im waiting for that i bought,but i dont know what the make of it is,it has a big round bell shaped head,its an older enlarger,it also has a base board with dials and cords plugged into it,the base board is some kind of component to the enlarger,can anyone let me know what kind of enlarger make this is?

6. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may think me crazy.. but consider:
    disassemble the enlarger to remove the lens board from the bellows and rail

Make a rough bore out of the lens board, using the type of stepped sheet metal drill an electrican uses to drill conduit connectrs into enclosures where there is no hole. They are eminently suited to enlarging existing holes in thinish metal

If you cant find one of those then carve a wooden plug to fill the existing hole to allow you to start a pilot bit, and use a metal hole saw to enlarge the hole to the size of the hole saw.

Then file down any sharp burs, and mould the holder for the new lens diameter out of 'Fimo' modelling clay from an artists supply store.

It dries very hard, can be fixed in place if it slips using hot glue, and is more than strong enough for the task. If you live in a very humid place, consider baking it slowly, and then spray acylic coat it to prevent it from re-absorbing mositure.

It will not be the prettiest, but with an over coat of paint, it will never be noticed once you are done.

7. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like Bob-D's solution of just having the hole enlarged. It's quick & easy and there's certainly enough metal there. If you can't do it yourself there should be a machine shop somewhere in Brazil that could do it.

8. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Enlarging the hole on that lensboard? Are you guys kidding. Thats going to leave him with a little ring of 5mm of metal. I would not recommend destroying your only lensboard. Look for a 25.5 mm x 0.5 lens. Also, some types of hazyness DO clean off. I'd not give up on that lens you have until I had disassembled it and tried cleaning all the surfaces. If the haze is going to come off, it will come off very easily. If it does not come off easy, then the glass or coating has been etched by the fungus and its not going to get any better with cleaning.

Here are some new lenses in M25 (expensive, but just an example of what to look for)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...&bsi=&bhs=t&shs=m25&ci=547&basicSubmit=Submit

Here is one for $35:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800510855-USE/Isco__75mm_f_4_5_Enlarging_Lens.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2009
  9. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. yellowcat

yellowcat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi cleber figueiredo, I have a Schneider componon 1:5.6/ 80mm lens with this 23.5mm thread.
    It was salvaged from a machine printer so has no click stops. The aperture range is 5.6 to 22.
    If you want you can have this lens for £9 to cover post and packing from the UK. (Royal Mail International Signed For service).
    PM me if you are interested.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2009
  11. cleber figueiredo

cleber figueiredo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ok, people. i just wanted to share with you the solutions i've found in order to be able to enlarge.

it turned out impossible to find anything with the same mount my Belar lens had. all i could find was used ones, with nasty pictures of it... no way!

it was very easy to find somebody to make the same plate but with a l39 hole in the middle, so i've done it! right now there's a russian industar 50 on its way to my home.

at the same time, yellowcat made me this offer for his schneider componon, and all i had to do was to take the old plate for the same guy who made me the l39 and ask him to open the hole a little bit wider. now i'll have the 80 and the russian 50!

i'll attach some pictures.

i want to thank you very much for your concerns and help. it was very useful for me!

Attached Files:

12. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice to see this worked out OK, good job.

13. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    One additional comment: The Industar-50 was a camera lens. A version intended for use on enlargers, the Industar-50U, was also made. I'm sure the I-50 (no U) can be used on enlargers, but it might be suboptimal in various ways. (I've seen claims that glues and lubricants used in camera lenses can soften under the heat produced by many enlargers, for instance.) I don't know offhand what the design of the I-50/I-50U was (number of elements, coatings, etc.), but I strongly suspect it's either a 3- or 4-element design. The I-50 was used on cameras in the 1950s and 1960s, so its coatings, if any, would be simple by modern standards. I'm not sure when the I-50U was manufactured. You'll probably get significantly better results stopping down to mid-range than using it fully open or at its smallest aperture. Used 6-element lenses are pretty inexpensive on eBay and will probably produce better prints than the I-50/I-50U. You can decide whether it's worth tracking down a better lens once you've tried the I-50/I-50U.

14. cleber figueiredo

cleber figueiredo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    actually it is an industar 96. the 50 i said was supposed to be "50mm range". i'm sorry for being so economical on my words.

i bought it because it is so inexpensive and i've read here an interesting review about it. and also because i already have the componon, wich seems like a very good and trustable lens.

i'm used to the industar. i have an industar-61 (which seems very alike this industar-50U) mounted on my bessa r, and i tried to fit it on the enlarger. first, it is too big - it almost won't fit. and, then, it will not focus! anyway, i just wanted to see what would happen.

but this you said about the grease melting and coming to the lens glass made me shiver!

15. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Congratualtions on getting into the darkroom and enlarging scene. I admire your fortitude in bringing that Meopta back to life. It is an enlarger that in all ways represented "a lot of bang for the buck," as they say in the USD culture. Just keep that glass carrier clean!

Any enlarging lens should be stopped down. I prefer f/11--two stops down for my 5.6s.

16. yellowcat

yellowcat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Glad that the componon lens got to you safely.

17. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK. The I-96U is a 4-element enlarger lens. I've got one, and it's pretty similar to a 4-element Durst Neotaron in quality, and superior to my Nikon EL-Nikkor 4-element (but not as good as my Nikon EL-Nikkor 6-element). Most of the I-96Us I've seen on eBay have a removable extension tube barrel. Depending on your enlarger, you might need to use the lens with or without the extension tube. If you happen to have any M39 SLRs, such as an early Zenit, you can use the extension tube with the camera to take macro photos.