Newbie seeks support from G Series enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Karl W. Schmiedeskam, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Karl W. Schmiedeskam

Karl W. Schmiedeskam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I got serious about photography just before the digital disaster. I splurged on a Contax G1 just in time to decide that analog was a lost cause & digital was way too expensive and too slick for my taste. After several years I have decided that I can still do analog & want to restart my hobby.

So, if you are a G series person & have sage advice or words of encouragement I would love to hear from you.

Karl

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's some mighty fine splurging. Nice compact camera & lenses that can't be beat.
    I'm not however a G series person so have no sage advice.
    Welcome home.

3. R gould

R gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I"m not a G series person, but I am a Rangefinder person, and my best advice is to use more film, if it's black and white you take try different films untill you find one you like, then go on,the more you use the more you learn,Richard

4. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I AM a G-series user. That's a WONDERFUL camera that will bring you many years of nothing but joy shooting just about anything you can point it at. Not so hot for macro or distant sports/action, but it is the PERFECT travel companion. I took mine on my last two major vacation trips, to Buenos Aires and Barcelona, and shot all my color "street"/documentary type work with it. I couldn't have asked for a better kit - even with now two bodies and five lenses, it all fit in a very lightweight, compact camera bag. The best advice I can give with it is to just always keep it to hand and shoot, shoot, shoot!

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Put some film in the camera and go some place of interest. Then shoot some rolls of film. There just has to be things of interest to shoot in Montana. As you learn to use the camera, you will find that that your interest will increase.

Enjoy

Steve

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Contax G-1 is a excellent camera, can't beat it. Welcome to APUG!

Jeff

7. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I picked up a G1 last year sometime, and have been very happy with it, especially in price vs performance. Which lenses do you have?

The Plannar 45/2 is an astonishing lens, and so cheap now it's stupid. The Biogon 28/2.8 is also fantastic. I've heard good things about all the lens, even the 35mm and 90mm.

On the internet I've read various complaints about the auto focus; some say it's finicky, or sometimes doesn't work properly. I was told to watch the distance readout in the viewfinder, and it's helped. Sometimes AF takes a few tries, but I've never had any blurry or bad photos.

This Contax G page is pretty good. I use the custom function to leave the leader sticking out upon rewind.

8. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The focus on the G1 with the 90mm is fussy, otherwise it's spot on. The only lens of the bunch that's been considered a weak performer is the 35mm f2. I have all the lenses for the system now except the zoom and the 16mm Hologon. They are all (with the exception of the 35mm lens, which is merely VERY good) class-leading performers, easily the equal of Leica glass. I wouldn't trade the camera for a Leica with a matching complement of lenses, if that gives you any idea of how much I like it.

9. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Home !

10. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I would have to disagree; I've had my G1 outperform some of my Leica gear :wink:

11. Voyager

Voyager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Contax G1 draws all sorts of criticism for quirky this or quirky that, but it all becomes irrelevant after 10 rolls of film, especially when reviewing the results of this camera and lens. I originally purchased the G1 for its incomparable 45mm lens, figuring to use it only in the manual mode, but after a while I went to the auto focus mode with excellent focusing results. My goal is to get the shot with a minimum of fiddling with meters and controls (I save the more deliberate compositions for my 645), and to this end the bracketing feature is just fabulous.

I know there are some amazing results out there with digital, but the results and signature of this glass on quality film can be spectacular. I've a hunch that if you read and learn the manual, and get through a few rolls of film, you'll be as wowed as the previous posters.

ps: I've been using the 45mm lens for about two years, and I just bought the 28mm. Check out my site, and click "Barbara"...that gallery is almost all Contax G1.

12. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Contax G lenses are -by far- the best lenses in 135 that I've used. The Contax G1 body is ergonomically brilliant and the perfect travel companion.

I got my G1 + lenses two years ago. Wish I had done so 10 years earlier (not pricewise though- the system is a steal these days).

The 28mm, 45mm and 90mm are the nicest starter lenses, in that order, IMO.