Newbie wanting more control

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by saldun70, Mar 28, 2011.

1. saldun70

saldun70 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey ho, folks.

I'm new to this forum, and am considering one of the sinar p-slr systems to hook my Nikon D700 and D3x to. Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience of these systems, and, if so, how you find it.

I'm also wondering what the difference between the p2-slr and p3-slr systems are? I see there are different bellows available. Does that mean a different bellows for standard and wide angle use, or lens type..?

Totally new to view cameras, so please be gentle with me.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

2. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Home Saldun !

PM Sent.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011
  3. marco.taje

marco.taje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Considering that this is ANALOG photography users group, this question regarding an i-would-like-to-but-i-cannot accessory for a D+@#al camera might be out of place.. I guess that this way you could possibly end up with the worst of both worlds, digi and "analog"; especially considering that sensors do seem to suffer from being hit at angles different from 90 degrees. And now they want them to bear with camera movements...
    Are you actually shooting (or planning to shoot) architecture/product for your living?
    - If so, probably that isn't the best combination for high quality results, so I would humbly advise to get a real (film) 4x5 monorail;
    - If not, I can't see the point of adding movements to a dslr. You say you want "more control": but in which area? Using film inherently means "more control" to me. In different areas from those offered by di@#[l, but they do a better control management FOR ME. Still, if you're not faintly suggesting a swith to film, I believe you are in the wrong place..

Hope it helped a bit -at least to formulate a more precise question- :smile:

4. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may get better answers from our sister site, DPUG (digital Photography Users Group). A lot of hybrid members here are on that site. Might take a few days, but you should get a good answer or two. And it is more appropriate to ask there rather than here. Good luck and welcome to the PUG's.

5. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Welcome Saldun,

This forum is focused on analog photography so something like a digital view camera system might get you some snarky remarks. I'd recommend checking out DPUG and Hybridphoto.com (sister sites) since there will be a higher probability someone there will have experience with it. That being said, I never heard of that system before, so thanks for enlightening me!

6. paulie

paulie Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    sounds like a strange idea, macro bellows or lens baby would be a better option, or a tilt shift, gosh darnit you digi boys do have some strange ideas.lol

7. ArtTwisted

ArtTwisted Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even though hes attaching a digital slr to it.. the question is still about analog cameras, of which the people of this forum would know about. Just because I scan my film doesn't mean I couldn't ask about the differences in different films....

And as far as the question at hand, the exact differences between the models im not sure about, general as the price goes up with Sinars the movements become more exact and the tils no longer require any refocusing. As for bellows, the bag bellows are usually for wide angle 4x5 lenses and the longer accordion bellows for standard lenses. Super long bellows are for macro use. The high end sinars are all incredible from what ive seen, even the lower end models are fantastic. If you can afford the upper models, you wont regret it. Also while your at it.. get some film holders with it, never know, you might just fall in love.

8. jerry lebens

jerry lebens Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    It sounds like a really bad idea - combining the disadvantages of two mismatched formats in one hugely expensive device...

Regards
    Jerry

9. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I feel the same way. Seems wayyyyy to expensive for what you can do with it. I mean, couldn't someone theoretically gut an old Graflex or something and do the same? Put the DSLR or 35mm on bulb, set the 4x5 lens and take a shot? just an idea.

Or a lensbaby.

10. jerry lebens

jerry lebens Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Or why not just use Ph*t*shop...? Won't do everything, but it's quite handy for correcting verticals...:whistling:

Regards
    Jerry

11. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    www.dpug.org

Try it. It's cool.

Or at least it will be if all the people who ought to be posting on it do so, instead of doing it here! :D It's a bit slow right now, as it is just getting started. But at this point, the more people who participate, the better. It could actually be a much more suitable and useful site than A.P.U.G for half the people who post here regularly (maybe more).

12. saldun70

saldun70 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't see how you think that is more precise, but thanks anyway.

13. saldun70

saldun70 Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Thanks for that. I have reposted my question there, and have already received some much more useful comments. Thanks again.

14. saldun70

saldun70 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah, I did get some more than snarky remarks, as you suggested. I guess some people just have way too much time on their hands. Thanks for the DPUG hookup.

15. saldun70

saldun70 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for responding with generosity instead of purist snippiness.

16. marco.taje

marco.taje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't know if you were referring to me with "purist snippiness".. Anyway, I couldn't find real snippiness in this thread, unless we don't share the same view of what real snippiness/harshness really is.
    I simply found unclear what was your aim. I mean, for what purpose you are considering the arrangement you asked about. I didn't mean that -I- had been more precise. I meant that it would help for you to pose a more precise question. If my syntax or anything distorted the message, please forgive me for being a non-native speaker :smile: