1. AezranHakim

AezranHakim Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello Everyone!

Im Aezran, all the way from Malaysia! :cool:

From start was playing digital photography and has spent quite a resonable amount on the digital kit that i have. Halfway getting good at it, was introduced to a bunch of people that went to film 100% (mind you in Malaysia, 135, 120 and 220 is a extint and unpopular way of taking pictures due to the fact that most camera shops has 'modernized' themselves and the selected few charge film users too high on processing and provide us with VERY VERY little knowledge and understanding of film photography, some even think its a hassle!) So few of them from the group introduced to me this website. :joyful:

But anyways, to cut it short, I WAS INSTANTLY HOOKED! I started doing research online, spent a small amount on stocking expired films, and my first film toy camera (Gakkenflex TLR). It was a satisfiying experience but after a few rolls, interesting results and mixed comments from my family members, I was again thirsty to understand more on the technicality and actual way of film photography, so back to the drawing board in search for the ultimate SLR. it took me months of studiying and saving up cash (cause im still a uni student), ended up getting a good deal on a (both black) Canon ae-1 + 50mm f1.4 and Nikon FM2N + 50mm f1.8, for only less than 400USD plus shipping, AWESOME! To make it more awesome while waiting for both cameras to come our from servicing, i was offered a FM3A + 35-70 f3.5 (black body) from a very very old uncle that offered me excellent advise and the camera for less than 200USD, Talk about luck!

Im still learing all the standard and basic knowldge of film, its really a dying art that hopefully once im able to master it, will pass it to others around me. Currently encouraging my sister and girlfriend to follow the proper way of taking pictures!

Im thirsty for knowledge and i hope that im able to gain more understanding from you guys as being more senior members, always open to comments and crticism, not a problem! :tongue::tongue:

Thinking by end of the year to sell my digital kit (EOS 40D + 1000D + 85mm f1.8 + 70-200 f4 + 50mm f1.8 + 580exII) to fund me and start my own darkroom at home, but its still just a thought, need to study more before committingit 100%.

This website will be a very good source, i hope to use it fully as a point of reference + knowledge, Cheers!~

2. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Home Aezran !

Ron

3. AezranHakim

AezranHakim Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Ron!

4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Aezran and a warm welcome to APUG! You might check out more MF cameras like the RB67.

Jeff

5. AezranHakim

AezranHakim Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Jeff! the RB67 is a really fantastic camera, i have some of local friends using it too! and when they put side by side with a full frame digital camera, the mamiya wins in terms of overall quality, interesting huh? even seen in some forums that the RB in film is 5 times better than a digital unit. As we are chatting here, i do have a old friend (the same uncle that sold me off the FM3A) also offering to me his own RB67 (including 90mm lens and film back) for the same price of the FM3A! but in terms of maintaining it, i dont think i can afford, its really really expensive.. and as a uni student, cant addord :sad: but will see how! now set to really understand the limits and capabilities of the FM3A! :smile:

6. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome.

If I were you, I wouldn't disperse money across different 35mm system. To begin with, two bodies of the same system are fine and the rest of the money I would spend in lenses, tripod, light meter, darkroom equipment etc.

I also would never sell the digital gear to fund the darkroom. Digital gear loses commercial value so fast, you'll get very little money but you will lose an "utility" which is much more than the money you would get. Digital is useful and I see it as a complement to analogue photography.

Besides the practice of photography in general, I would suggest you have a look into developing your films at home. It's a skill that is not just very rewarding, but it also let you save a lot of money and typically allows you to get better quality than a commercial laboratory, after a bit of practice. That would also be a natural step to be completed before setting up a darkroom (although one can certainly have the film developed by a laboratory, and then print himself). Don't be deterred by those who say that colour developing is difficult. I begun with E-6 (slides) and after a few horrible mistakes I can now define myself an "experienced" developer :smile: . I'm now looking at C-41 development (colour negative).

Best wishes
    Fabrizio

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!

8. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG. Instead of selling the Canon lenses, you might buy an EOS 3 or other Canon film body so that you can use the lenses you already have.

9. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ahem, the OP has a Canon AE-1 with a 50mm which I suppose has the Canon FD mount, not the Canon EF mount.

10. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd say stick to two bodies (for color and BW) and sell the rest to fund different lenses. A nice kit would be 24mm/50mm(macro preferably) and a 105mm something for the portraits. And don't sell the digital gear, I learned that the hard way. :sad: I'd get the RB67 instead of the FM3A. It's nice to have 35mm and 120 at your disposal. Oh, and develop your own BW film. :smile:

11. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aezran - hello and welcome to APUG!! :D

12. AezranHakim

AezranHakim Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for all the ideas friends! It was at first to have the ae-1 and fm2n only, but the fm3a came at a offer i cant refuse. Will sell off the ae-1 and fm2n and only keep the fm3a, the cash received from the sales will come in as fund to buy more lenses, films and repaint the fm3a.

The RB67 is a amazing piece of equipment! id love to use one but it is just too expensive to maintain, 120mm films are only available overseas and its just really sad. Whats the cheapest B&W 135 available on the market? any suggestions on good online websites to puchase such items?

and another question, if the 135 film (fresh) passes through X-ray scanners, will it spoil the film? or?

13. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    X-rays should not be a problem if you take your film with you, on board. Also they are not a problem if you buy normally imported film in a shop.
    X-rays are certainly a problem if you put your film in a checked-in luggage (the luggage that goes into the hold of the plane).

The cheapest B&W film are Chinese brands, such as Lucky.

You can find "bulk film", that you buy in 100ft rolls (30.5 metres) with which you can make 18 135/36 rolls and you have some half a roll left. This can be very cheap.

Further information, besides searching APUG with "bulk film", "bulk loading", "rolling your own", is here:
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com/photoschool/ps how load bulk.html
    http://www2.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/bulkldr.html

Developing by yourself is the only way to take pictures without financial constraints :smile: I would suggest investing in developing as soon as possible if space is available.

14. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, lucky films are the way to go. But If you have Fuji outlets there, check their Neopan 400, Across and Fuji SS. Frome where I cam from (Philippines) A roll of Neopan 400 was just around $2, while a box of Neopan is around a bit less than $11. It might not be the same in your country, but it's worth a look. :smile:

15. AezranHakim

AezranHakim Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Such interesting and really really useful information from both of you! Thank you! Will do some reseearch about it and see how it goes! THANKS GUYS! and i think the Neopan is cheaper, because i have not seen a fuji box before for sale over here i guess. B&W lucky film (135) ISO100, they are selling here average of $6 per box! so im definately going to see what there is on the net.

16. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi and welcome.
    I love your energy and desire to learn.
    Make the assets of yor digital equipment work for you and get paid for your work... Portraits, weddings, business images, etc.
    Grow your art and passion with your film eq. If they all could share the same lenses then great. If you. Desire. Larger formats that is cool too.

Stay in touch, be glad to help in any way I can. PM (personal message) here on APUG or email at daleeman@yahoo.com

Lee

17. AezranHakim

AezranHakim Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fantastic!

Advises from what all of you have given is very true. Ill think about it. :smile:

18. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WOW, lucky film for $6? So expensive. :smile: Maybe the net is your best bet. Save up some money and buy a LOT so that the shipping costs are worth it.