Newby Lens question

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by hoffy, Jul 27, 2012.

1. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Howdy,

I hope someone can help me out. I was looking at a Super Graphic that I have an interest on and want some clarification on the lens.

From what is printed on the front it mentions that it is a Rodenstock Ysarex 127mm F4.7 – no probs there. But around the outer edge of the lens assembly it mentions that it is a Polaroid Pathfinder Land Camera 110A. What I am seeing here is referring to the shutter assembly and such? Is that correct?

Cheers

2. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That lens and shutter are from a Polaroid camera. It's not original to the super graphic. Shutter is probably a prontor. It should cover 4x5.

Dan

3. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, thanks for that. In the reasonability scale of things, how does that lens rate?

4. brofkand

brofkand Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It will be fine. Don't worry about it! Use it with confidence. I have an ex-Polaroid lens (a Tominon) on my 4x5 and it looks great with the limited amount of work I've done with it.

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Superb lens, I have that set-up on my 4x5 and use it more than any other lens. The only thing I don't care for is no 'T' setting for focus, I have to set on 'B' and lock my cable release. I love the EV setting, lock it in and when you change either the speed or aperture the other moves accordingly.

6. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a Tessar type lens, I believe the Ysarex had an element of rare-earth glass to improve the corrections- I could be wrong though. The only downside is that it just covers 4x5, there is no room for movements.