News from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Edimilson, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Edimilson

Edimilson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello everyone!

My name is Edimilson (please call me Ed, for the sake of simplification). I’m a 34 year-old Brazilian male. I have recently acquired a Meopta Magnifax 4 and have just begun to make my own prints. I thought it might interest you to know about the availability of black and white photography materials in my city. Since Portuguese is my native language, please pardon me for any mistakes, particularly regarding technical terms.
    Now to the availability of black and white photographic materials:
    I have been doing black and white since 2005. It was never a problem to find black and white film. Of course it’s necessary to know where to go, since only specialized stores (about half a dozen) offer such materials. As to 35 mm film, it’s easy to find Kodak Tri-X, both in the original cassettes and bulk film already loaded into used cassettes. One also finds Fuji Neopan and Ilford HP5 and sometimes HP4. As to 120 film, it’s also easy to get Tri-X at the stores mentioned. One also finds Ilford HP5, but that’s less common.
    Regarding chemicals, it’s easier to buy them than I expected. It seems that Kodak products are the most abundant. Surprisingly, though, I found Foma chemicals at a particular store. Only film and paper developers and fixers though. Nothing special like the Foma sepia toner was available.
    Finally, Ilford paper is available in different types and sizes, but I was astonished to see other brands being offered. Just two days ago I saw Ilford, Foma, Oriental and one package of what seemed to be Agfa paper (!?). It was a red package. I’ll look into it next time I drop by that store.
    Well, that’s what I had to report. Hope it sounds like good news.
    By the way, I’d like to say that I’ve been learning a lot from visiting the Apug forums, which are great. I intend to participate more actively in the future, probably bothering you guys with typical newbie questions :wink: .

2. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Ed (Edimilson). It's always interesting to find out about analogue photography in different countries around the world.

Great first post,

Tom.

3. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's always interesting to hear about things photographic from countries we do not hear from often. Thanks for joining us and congrats on the 1st post.

4. Edimilson

Edimilson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you, Tom and Wayne. I will just add another piece of information: I came to know four young women (in their early twenties, in fact) who own film cameras and do not think of buying digital ones. One of them has just bought a new consumer film camera, as a matter of fact. And they are not the kind of people who read about photography, etc. They say they just don't like the look and the feel, so to speak, of prints made from digital captures. And they also dislike the fact that owners of digital cameras end up not printing most of the photographs taken. The pictures end up remaining in memory cards or PCs instead of being framed and hung on walls, etc. Isn't that curious? I would never expect to find young people actually choosing film.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ed,

Welcome to APUG!

Steve

6. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome to APUG, Ed.

Terrific first post and many thanks for the information. It's always interesting to hear how the film-based photography is doing in other parts of the world than our own little corners.

All the best with the Meopta - may it give you much happiness!

7. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the information, Ed. Your English is excellent, by the way.

mjs

8. Silverhead

Silverhead Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Next APUG conference definitely needs to be in Rio :smile:

9. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF

I'll drink to that!

And warmest greetings to Ed.

Cheers,

R. (www.rogerandfrances.com)

10. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome aboard Ed, good to hear film and related products are available in Brazil.

11. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Invite your fours friends to join us. Pictures welcome; Of them HA! :wink:

12. Edimilson

Edimilson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, Wayne, of one of them I myself would love to have pictures. She's 22, very beautiful, nice, etc. Her only shortcoming is... she's married!
    Moving on to another subject now: I'll soon become a subscriber to Apug and then I'll be able to scan some of my prints and post them here. I'm eager to hear comments so that I can learn from you all.
    By the way, thanks to all who have replied to my post and expressed their support. It's nice to be here!

13. Daniel_OB

Daniel_OB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Ed, you and your posts. Would like to see some your pictures from Brazil. Is it possible?

www.Leica-R.com

14. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I say actually, next APUG conference should be at Foz Do Iguacu... Have it in February when the falls are at peak flow :smile: .

15. Edimilson

Edimilson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Daniel,

If you mean photographs of landscapes, I don't usually do them :sad: . I enjoy most photographing people. Would you like me to suggest websites where you one can find pictures of Brazil? If so, try this one: http://www.flickr.com/groups/brasil-brazil/. It has posts in English that you may find useful.

16. Helcio Tagliolatto

Helcio Tagliolatto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ed,
    where did you find Oriental in Brazil (was it is Rio)?
    I live in Bauru, Sao Paulo, and didn't find Oriental yet. I love their VCFB.
    Here, in the countryside, it seems to be hard to find traditional materials. The last time I've encountered Agfa, I just bought all the of them (near 800 sh. of 12x16")
    Wellcome aboard.
    Helcio

17. Edimilson

Edimilson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I found Oriental paper at Unimagem, which is located at Rua dos Andradas, 29 (downtown Rio de Janeiro). Their phone numbers are (21) 2221-0008 and (21) 2232-9439. But you have looked for this paper at BH Photo (http://http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=changeLanguge&Q=&ul=P), haven't you?
    If I remember well, what I saw where two boxes containing 100 sheets of RC Oriental paper. I didn't buy them because I wanted a 25-sheet package.
    In case you want to know anything else, please send me a private message - and you may write it in Portuguese, of course! :D

18. trhull

trhull Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Seja bemvindo

I was in Rio and Salvador two weeks ago and am processing my 35 rolls of 120 Tri X. I really wish I could have lugged my 4X5 along!

19. Helcio Tagliolatto

Helcio Tagliolatto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Trhull,

Oh sure! Manly in Rio. Although a cliche point, every time I go to Rio I take some 4x5 TriX. It's irresistible!!

Helcio

20. trhull

trhull Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Rio

My back hurts thinking about lugging the 4X5 around Lagoa, not to mention the climb up the hill overlooking Rio. Now if I could only have found a way to ship it to Bahia.