Next OM-1 lens

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by mtnbkr, Mar 5, 2006.

1. mtnbkr

mtnbkr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use my OM-1 primarly for available light B&W candid portraiture and street photography. I currently only have a 50/1.8 and 50/1.4 lenses, but I want to buy ONE other lens. Should I go wide with the 24/2.8 (or 28/2.8) or long with the 100/2.8 (or maybe the 85/2 or 135/2.8). I'm leaning towards the 100/2.8, but want other opinions as well.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IF your going to shoot primary steet work, I would go wide angle, if your going to shoot portraits I would go with the 100, the 50mm are a great middle of the road for both work, but once you start to look at lenses they become a little more specialized to the type of work your doing, I feel the 100 would be a little tight to work with on street, but is a great portait length, when I am doing street work, most of the time, I use a 24mm...

If you can get a hold of a couple of lenses to test out, do some shots in the type of work you will do most and see how you like the results.

Dave

3. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, Chris For available light portraiture indoors by window light I find a fast 85mm to be ideal,I prefer this focal length, although I do own the other two lenses you mention, the main reason is the working distance to frame a head and shoulders , or head to waist shot in most houses in a normal size rooms is limited . For environmental portraits, (showing People in their surroundings) a fast wideangle a 35mm f2 or a 28mm f2 are both good although expensive, you could probably manage with 2.8 if they are.

4. BruceN

BruceN Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I, too, am a big fan of the 24mm, but when I'm wandering the streets with my OM's the lens I tend to use most is my Zuiko 35-70mm/f3.6. I generally prefer to use primary lenses, but this particular zoom is one huge exception to that rule (and the only one for me). It's certainly one of the sharpest zoom lenses I've ever seen. It's shortcoming is the smaller aperture, but for street stuff I'm generally handholding and shooting faster film anyway. Just a thought.

Bruce

5. micek

micek Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Dave said, it depends on what you'd like to shoot. I usually go out street shooting with a 24mm f2 on one body and a 85mm f2 on another. If I go out with a single lens then it's the 28mm f2.8.

6. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but any experience with the Olympus 70-150 f/4 zoom? It relatively compact, within a stop of the 2.8, and covers the range I like for informal portraits. I've been tempted to pair one with my recently acquired OM-2; I see them go surprisingly cheap.

7. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 35mm f2 is , quite simply, awesome but it is also rather pricey. Some of the finest photojournalists of all time used only a 35mm and a 50mm while others (Thurston Hopkins) used nothing more than a 35mm and a 135mm to produce some of the most powerful photo-stories of all time.
    Remember, try the lens and see if you like it!

Best of luck,

Lachlan

8. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would second Dave on this one - if you are mainly doing street, you will find the wide angle to be indispensible. As a matter of fact, I think it will be on your camera most of the time. A nice short lenslike that with its depth of field and ability to use slow shutter speeds is absolutely wonderful for street type work.
    Its amazing how most people (and I count myself among them) get this common, mundane view of the venerable 50mm - and I think its only after we start the journey into various other lenses that we truly appreciate what an amazing tool a 50mm really is. I have found myself with new lenses, wanting to use them... almost trying to make an excuse to use it... and then going back to the old 50mm. When you think about it, what a bargain they really are - so sharp, so fast, so flexible!
    OK - that was a bit of off topic musing... before I trail off again - all the best,

Peter.

9. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    if I am going into the "street" to photograph and limit myself (as i often do) to one lens...it is the 35 mm 1.4 (I do not have an olympus but use F3 Nikon....my second choice would be the 24 mm and my third choice is Pentax spotmatic 50 mm 1.4 takumar.....

10. Earl Dunbar

Earl Dunbar Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For street work I would get both the 28/2.8 and the 100/2.8. Faster samples would be nice, but I sense there is a more modest budget here.

The reason I would choose both is that while a wider lens is extraordinarily suited to stree photography, with patience, thought and practice the 100 can be a great tool. And the Zuiko 100/2.8 is a gem. Great optical performance in a package that is hardly bigger than a lot of the older generation 50s.

The 35/2.8 is no slouch, either.

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My favorite kit is 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2.0 and 85mm f/2.0.

It is tiny, and the results are much to my liking. I consider the 35mm lens as my standard lens (I have two of them).

My only complaint - the filter sizes differ. The 24mm and 85mm have 49mm threads, while the 35mm uses 55mm threads.

As to the 75mm - 150mm f/4.0, I have one, and like it, but don't use it that much. It is a two touch zoom, and it is very small.

I am not sure that the zoom has the greatest reputation, but I have never been unhappy with the results, and the prices are very reasonable.

Matt

12. mtnbkr

mtnbkr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the input guys. I've narrowed it down to the 28/2.8 and 100/2.8, but will probably get the 100/2.8 first since I find myself wanting a longer lens more often than a wider one. Besides, if I think I'll need the wider view, I can always take my N80 and it's 24/2.8.

Thanks again.

Chris

13. Simon E

Simon E Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You have probably answered your own question. I think what each of us decides to use is entirely dependent on our own goals, it's about what *you* want to capture. No-one else can really tell you.

BTW I wouldn't consider the 100/2.8 to be inferior to the 85/2 in everyday use, in fact I sometimes find the 85mm isn't a big enough step from 50mm.

Simon.