Nice experience with KEH

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I took the plunge and purchased a Nikon N90s & MB-10 grip from KEH. All I can say is WOW!!
    A bit difficult to make contact via email but once we hooked up things moved along nicely.The only glitch was my fault.I seldom use a credit card and sent them the wrong information.
    Can't say enough about their rating system. What is listed as GOOD at KEH is almost pristine in my eyes.I'm taking it in today to my local shop where the camera department head will go through it with a fine tooth comb.It's a huge step up from my other AF nikon ,an N60. I want to make sure that all the bells & whistles are working properly as I wade through the manual.
    FedEx took their pound of flesh but hey,who needs to eat when you have plenty of film,developer and a wicked new toy.

Thanks to all the apugers who answered my post about "Where to buy online".

Mike

2. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ouch. Next time, just tell them to use the US Postal Service - regular parcel post with insurance or Priority Mail will do the trick and save you lots of $$$ (no broker fees for example) for the same level of service to Canada as Fedex.

Regards, Art.

3. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Art.I'll do that with my next order.And there will be a next order.

Mike

4. Larry.Manuel

Larry.Manuel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    From KEH to Canada via USPS and Canada Post?

I have my eye on a number of Rollieflex TLR accessories there. After being burned by non-delivery on my last eBay transaction, I'm reticent to eBay for a while. One hundred good experiences on eBay were nullified by one bad one.

Has a Canadian APUGer persuaded KEH to ship by USPS? I know the cost of couriers to Canada, and the associated [painful] brokerage fees. Those fees are not a bad percentage on a new Rolleiflex or Leica, but prohibitive on a order of one or two hundred dollars.

Thanks in advance for your help.

L.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    KEH won't use USPS for anything like a camera. They'll only use it for low value items (e.g. manuals).

It is worthwhile considering one of the higher priced courier options to Canada, because some of them include the brokerage fee.

Matt

6. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is the main reason why I am leary about dealing with KEH as to their insistance on using couriers as opposed to USPS.

7. BobbyR

BobbyR Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why will they not ship USPS?

I have had firearms, FFL to FFL can ship USPS, worth thousands literally shipped that way with no problem.
    Bob

8. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was contemplating a purchase from KEH. It's good to hear that their rating system is reasonable. I keep seeing descriptions elsewhere about "mint" condition equipment with just "minor" dings and scratches and excellent condition equipment with significant mechanical and cosmetic deficiencies.

9. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's their company policy not to do so. Nothing more complicated than that.

10. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Then I think it's time Canadians have to convince them to change their policy, if it's really their policy - I don't know. It's just silly.

Regards, Art.

11. Nigel

Nigel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They understand the brokerage charges situation when shipping to Canada. I have had success calling tehm to arrange shipping without customs brokerage charnges.

12. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is good to hear. Was it simply a matter of calling them to make arrangements to ship via USPS or did you pay for the customs charges up front?

13. Nigel

Nigel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This was a while back and the relavent details appear to have been removed from long term memory :smile: I do recall that the order was by phone while looking at the web page and upon expressing concern over brokerage charges, the matter was resolved. It may have been via UPS though, as I think it was delivered directly, rather than having to pick up at the post office.

14. Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For something small like a camera, I always take the overnight, 2 day or whatever the option is. The ground option usually ends up costing the same with brokers fees, which are included in the express charge.

Agreed though, the post office is usually the best option.

15. PatTrent

PatTrent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I, too, can endorse KEH. I have sold equipment to them and also bought from them. In every case they have been fair and honest.

16. Pavel+

Pavel+ Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've dealt with KEH and my experiences were good - when they were less greedy. Has anyone else noticed how their prices have been jacked up in the last year? They now are pretty much the most expensive place (at least for nikon gear) and I remember a MF lens, when I was shooting medium format that went for 210 bucks. Well same condition, same lens ... 380 bucks two months later. No thanks.

I actually find that my two local shops have prices at about the half way mark to that of KEH's. I bought a (roughly excellent .. by their rating) F4s for $250 bucks and a absolutely perfect Demo grade FM2 for the same price - both much much cheaper than KEH.

So KEH imho is a great place with accurate prices and honest grading ... but prices that make them last on my list now. And they used to have reasonable prices. Oh well.

17. MikeK

MikeK Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

I have had exactly the opposite experience. Just purchased a bargain 55mm f3.5 for my Pentax 6x7. The only problem was the condition of the lens - it was immaculate, and way cheaper than my local stores or Ebay.

Mike

18. nyoung

nyoung Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Been dealing with KEH about 20 years- never disappointed. Demand for Nikon gear is pretty strong so the prices are creeping up. On the things I'm scurrently watching they are maybe 20% higher than the average auction price on Ebay BUT!!! With KEH there is a warranty and someone to take it back if it doesn't work.

19. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think this is a key point. While I've had very good experiences with eBay purchases there is something to be said for KEH's return policy.

It's kind of a judgment call whether it's "worth" 20% or so - for some things it is - for others - I'll take the eBay chance.

20. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just got something from Keh and am always prowling the website for more stuff to buy :wink: They've been great pulling stuff off the shelf (in another building) so they can answer any questions I have about it.They even took it off the web listing for a week while I was trying to decide whether to buy it or not. This is extremely decent of them in my books and why I'll buy from them again without hesitation.

As for shipping, USPS is an option for low priced buys. I ended up with Fed Ex which was only about $10 more and was worth it for the two day turnaround (give or take) vs week or so.