Niepce's "Physautotype" Process

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Christopher Nisperos, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Christopher Nisperos

Christopher Nisperos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If anyone is interested, the details of the phyautotype process — the missing link between Niepce's research and Daguerre's final development of the daguerreotype — is fully discussed and illustrated in an article I wrote in the current issue of Photo Techniques magazine.

There is a useful link in the article, or just contact me if you need more info.
    chrisnisperos@yahoo.com

2. jovo

jovo Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The way things are going, I'll buy the mag and read the article just in case there's no other way to make a traditional photograph in a decade or so.

3. Christopher Nisperos

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Should be easy to do, John, even a hundred-plus years from now. The sole ingredients are lavender oil, alcohol and white petroleum! Compared to making a daguerreotype, a physautotype is childs-play (even relatively "child-safe").

4. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ummm.

I wouldn't call that "child-safe" -- it sounds flammable as hell!! White petroleum is either kerosene or naphtha, aka lighter fluid, aka Coleman fuel; both alcohol and lavender oil are flammable as well. Imagine doing this in a darkroom safelit with a candle or kerosene lamp? Eeek! No worse than ether and collodion, though...

5. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those chems. do sound bit flammable, though with proper precuations, they're certaninly not dangerous, unless, as Donald menitoned, you were working under the old-fashined gaslight, in which case I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them.

This is remarkable safe, at least compared to, say, the Daugerrotype process, as mercury and iodine vapors are really nasty.

Does anyone have a copy of the article that they could link me to, as I have no way of getting a copy of the magazine?

6. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Hi Christopher,
    Could you send me a copy of your article (after all these years)? I met someone at the Salt Printing & Albuminen Printing course this weekend and she trying to learn this process for some creative purposes. It would be nice to sent her the article for help.
    Thanks,
    Bert

7. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Before anyone rushes out and stocks up on lavender oil, Niepce's process required exposures measured in hours. It was hardly a practical method and was abandoned after Niepce's death.

8. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mark Osterman conducted a course on the phyautotype process at the George Eastman House in early February of this year. For those of you on Facebook, if you go to Mark's Timeline and go back to February 6, you wil see some sample images.

9. Christopher Nisperos

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I said, "child's play" .. not "child safe"

10. Fall

Fall Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bonsoir Christopher,

I would be interested in reading the magazine article. If I email your email adress would you be able to send it to me, or could I google your name and find it. It sound very interesting!

11. Fall

Fall Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bonsoir Christopher,

I would be interested in reading the magazine article. If I email your email adress would you be able to send it to me, or could I google your name and find it. It sound very interesting!

12. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  13. Fall

Fall Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Merci Andrew,

I had read that article, it is detailed, but I am just looking for more information, because I am thinking of trying this, but shooting it in camera for a very long period of time. Relatively of course. You would not have anymore information on the subject would you?

14. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi fall
    shooting in camera for a very long time is what neipce called a retina print.
    I have been making them, even made special large cameras to expose them in ... for a few years.
    unlike the physatotype it isn't made with asphalt or white gas fumes or a relief ..
    but an image that is stained ( for lack of a better word ) on the paper like a lumenprint ...
    there is a recipe here on apug in the articles section for fixing them if you want to give it a try
    usually paper turns white when they are fixed, ir black whrn they are developed..

have fun!
    john

ps my website and imagekind page have retina prints on them if you want to see some i have done ...

15. Fall

Fall Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Merci John,

I checked your website out, and I must say they are very interesting. I have been researching for some time, and still am having trouble figuring this technique out I'm trying to do. You wouldn't have a write up on the process you follow would you? Also, could you point me in the direction of the fixer recipe on here? Thank you for replying, I am going to do a post on here in a little while, kind of finishing up some questions I have to see if this project will really work.

16. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi fall

here is the recipe for the fixer
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/134030-how-fix-solargraph.html
    it was invented / discovered by an apugger named NedL who does some
    beautiful retina prints and solargraphis too ...

as for instructions on making retina prints ( sorry i can't help with physatotypes, i have never made them ! )
    you just put paper in your camera and leave the shutter open for "as long as it takes"
    i have made them in as little as 20 mins, and for as long as 28 hours ... i haven't fixed mine in ages
    but if memory serves correct, it might lighten the image so the longer the exposure the better :smile:
    thanks for the kind words about my photography.

avez un bon week-end
    john

17. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Is this the process hinted at in Crawford's "The Keepers of Light" with pewter plates, where oil of lavender and turpentine mixture washes off unexposed bitumen? Must smell great! I love the smell of turpentine, my wife wouldn't mind the lavender smell...

18. pschwart

pschwart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Howard Efner wrote a small book on physautotype a few years back. Do a search on the Bostick and Sullivan alt process forum http://bostick-sullivan.invisionzone.com/, and you can also message Howard there for more info.