Nikkor 24-120mm 3.5-5.6 VR - Any good?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Robert Kennedy, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Robert Kennedy

Robert Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love low-light photography. Give me a fast lens and some 3200 and I am set.

So when I heard about Nikon making an affordable VR short zoom lens, I was intriqued.

My biggest gripe is that I am stuck with with a 50/1.4 if I really want to work in low-light. Which means I have to get closer to the subject. And since most of my low-light work is "street" work, this can be a problem. I find that a certain distance is needed before people forget the camera is there.

So this sounds pretty nice to me. Getting three stops of light at 120mm is a pretty nice idea!

That is if it works.

Has anyone had any experience here?

At around $575.00 this seems to be a great lens for me. Cheap, and good in low light.

2. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Robert Kennedy

Robert Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ummmmm........I DO want to stay married....

So it looks like the Nikkor...

4. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

Robert,
    with the zoom VR nikkor, you'd be getting a very versatile lens, but it doesn't seem ideal for your purpose. keep in mind that the 3 stop advantage is only on your side, ie, helps with camera shake. subject movement at the longer shutter speeds would still cause blur.
    Wouldn't you be better off with a 85mm f1.8 or a used 85 f.14?
    Tom

5. Robert Kennedy

Robert Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I totally missed that lens. That would be a better choice here. And it is LESS than the VR lens.

Thanks.