Nikkor 50mm f2 or f1.8?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by darinwc, Dec 22, 2012.

1. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which nikkor do you prefer?
    The 50mm f2 or the newer 50mm f1.8?

2. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Darin, I've never had an f/2er. I do have a somewhat recent manual focus 50/1.8. Under some circumstances it produces a little reddish hot spot in the middle of the frame. I've read that this is typical behavior.

If I were you I'd go for a late (AI) 50/2.

3. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have never had an f/2.

I have an f/1.8 but I actually prefer the 50mm f/1.4.

4. Vilk

Vilk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    longnose 1.8; the long throw of the 2 becomes incredibly annoying after a while, if you try to use it for anything else than close-ups of beer coasters... they're comparable optically, both superb... but then, there's also the pleasure of discovering things for yourself, can't go wrong with either at the prices they're selling for

:cool:

ps. the pancake 1.8 is competent but meh

5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have owned a couple of the f/2 lenses. They are extremely, extremely good.

The best Nikkor is reputed to be the original metal AI 50/1.8 (not the Series E or the meter coupling shoe-less newer AI 1.8 which is just a multicoated Series E).

In practice, I don't imagine it matters. They're all pretty good.

6. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an Ai f/2 and a long-nose f/1.8. If you want to pixel peep, of my samples, the 1.8 has it by a very small margin wide open (this would be a 64" wide print so, what's the point...). I prefer the f/2 because it does this thing wide open that I like. In fact the f/2 Ai is so sweet and so cheap I'd buy one even if I didn't have a Nikon, sort of like some people did with Windows 95 because, you know, you'll need it eventually. :laugh:

s-a

7. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Like the others above, I too have not owned nor even tried the f/2 but have a newer 50mm f/1.8 AIS. It is an excellent lens. However, I find I like the 28mm f/2.8 AIS so much that the 50mm almost never even gets mounted to the camera.

8. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the 50mm 1.8 AF-D and love it. Never had the 2.0 but did have the 1.4. Both made great negatives.

The biggest reason I sold the 1.4 is the 1.8 has AF and I couldn't see any significant difference in a print.

Plain and simple, if my subjects are fairly close to me and mobile, as most are when I'm shooting 135 with a 50mm lens, then my old eyes greatly appreciate AF when I print.

My FM2 is feeling a bit neglected too as of late. :sad:

9. Robert Ley

Robert Ley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently picked up a nice clean 50mm f:1.8 AI with a Nikon body off Ebay and am confused by the term "long nose" can either Vilk or s-a explain the term "long nose" and how I can tell if I have one of these lenses. Don't really use a 50 that much, much prefer my 35mm f:2, but I am curious about the "long nose"

10. Vilk

Vilk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  11. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both. Prefer the F:1.4

12. GarageBoy

GarageBoy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    50 f2 AI does this nice wide open veil that I kinda enjoy
    Never used the 1.8, though

13. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both, and 1.4, and 3.5 micro. f2 focus up to 0.6m, and f1.8 focus up to 0.45m. Not big difference, but good to know. Picture quality, sharpness - I don't see big difference, I like them both the same.

14. sangetsu

sangetsu Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It depends on the camera. As I got rid of all my Nikon bodies except for an eye-level F and and eye- level F2, I prefer the 50/2 HC Nikkor. I have 1.2/1.8 and 1.4 lenses, but I do think the old HC lens is the best of the bunch. If I had a newer Nikon, I would get an AI conversion done on the 50/2 HC.

15. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL a 50mm series E just fell in my lap for a song, but I have a long nose f1.8 on order.
    I really prefer the long-nose design. I dont know why people like the pancakes.
    -With a full barrel, you get a built-in lens hood and an easier to grip surface. Whats not to like?

16. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have/had both and like both. My F2 is the last in the series of non-ai. I feel the F1.8 N series is better in build and performance. The D series I got new I had to send back to B&H for repair. Just a shitty lens right out of the box.

17. KrankyKraut

KrankyKraut Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have 50mm f/2 "K" version and Nikkor-H 50mm f/2. Also own the 50mm 1.8G and used to have the 1.8D. The "D" wasn't as good as the others. Overall, prefer the H for it's "wholistic" rendering and the 1.8G, which is a fantastic modern lens wich beats the 1.4G, which I also had. Never used the 1.8 long nose or pancake.

18. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the 50mm f/2-H and a 50mm f/2 AI, I love the AI version, it just feels right on my F3. I'm quite satisfied with this lens and I don't have much of an incentive to look for a faster version right now.

19. mohawk51

mohawk51 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Nikkor 50 F1.4 AIS (late version)

20. damonff

damonff Member

Shooter:
    35mm

21. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I like the 50/1.8 A1s semi-pancake for a particular reason. It's really a second-string design, but one stop down is fabulously sharp, is compact, and was inexpensive enough that I can travel with it without getting paranoid. My 55/2.8 is a better optic with better build. But I seldom shoot 35mm except for rainy days or brisk walks when I don't want to have to clean my big cameras afterwards.
    And I don't generally use "normal" focal lengths. So a semi-pancake fits nicely into a little nook in the bag below the 85/1.4 I mostly use.

22. kobaltus

kobaltus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My multicoated 50/2 are sharper than older S. Sharp wide open and razor sharp two stops
    down.
    Personally I prefer the 50/1.4 SC.

23. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The 50/2 H (all versions, including the AI 50/2 - they're all the same basic lens, just a different barrel with longer throw helix on the rubber focus ring versions). I have a regular AF 50/1.8 (non-D, Japanese build), which is also a decent lens, but I do think the older 50/2 beats it. Alas, my current 50/2 H is still pre-AI, so it's only used on the FTn, FT2, and the F. I also have the two better non-AF 50/1.4's. The original S version with factory AI ring, and the AI version. For some reason, the SC and the big K versions tend to have a milky green cast, especially with Fuji film, which isn't there with the older S, nor the compact K version or the AI version.

-J

24. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Sorry, I'm not seeing anything that looks remarkably longer than anything else. Maybe I'm expecting the difference to be marked, not subtle. Which of the four lens on the last row is a longnose and which is a pancake? Are any of the lenses on the other rows so characterized?

25. OldBodyOldSoul

OldBodyOldSoul Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Lenses 1 and 3 are long nose, 2 and 4 are pancakes.
    Look at how much barrel there is between the silver ring and the top of the lens. Or, if you like this perspective better, look at the front element - in lenses 1 and 3 it is deeply recessed while in 2 and 4 it lies almost flat with the filter ring.

In absolute terms the difference is not remarkable. It's a 50mm lens after all. If you held them in your hands the difference would be obvious.