nikon 50's

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Red Robin, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Red Robin

Red Robin Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello all ,I intend to sell one of my lenses one is a Nikkor-s Auto 1:1.4 f= 50mm the other a Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4. Is there any difference between the two? Better build, glass, reputation, contrast, coatings?

2. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Without having the serial #, I can't be certain, but it is most likely the same lens with better - multi- coatings.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2011
  3. mattone

mattone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not find out yourself? You are probably the only one having both lenses around....

4. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree, shoot both and make your own decisions.
    I'm betting sample variation would play as much a part as the slight (if any) optical formulation diferences

Plus, some prefer the single coated versions better when conventional wisdom would say the multi coated would be best.
    It really depends on taste..

5. rolleiman

rolleiman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have two older "S" Nikon lenses, as well as more recent AI ones. My own conclusions; I prefer the older "S" lenses for black & white, they have an indefinable quality about them. the AI lenses give better colour results generally, doubtless to do with the extra coating.

6. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The op's lens, a Nikkor-s is a 7 element lens. That is what the "S" means, s = sept = seven. The letter after "Nikkor" designates the number of elements, using Greek and Latin. H = hex = six, P = penta = five, and so on.

Most, but far from all lenses with the letter code for # of elements will be single coated. Perhaps that is your "indefinable quality".

7. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Nikon has always tweaked the 50mm formula. There are optical differences between an S (S.C) and an Ai and an Ai-s. How much and whether it matters to you is dependent on what you need. I find as another posted, that the S is really quite good for B&W, I use an S.C for most of my color (digital) work and my Ai-s seems to be better at 1.4, and also closer up. YMMV...

8. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. kitanikon

kitanikon Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Perhaps you missed this on another forum...

With so many models, you may want to look here....you don't identify/describe the 2nd 1.4....it may be a "K" version...confirm that here.....
    http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#180

...."C" after the letters H, P, Q, S means multicoating....the letters H, P, Q, S refer to the number of lens elements.

10. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

don't sell - just buy new one and keep old one :smile:. I have a bunch of 50mm nikkors, and they are all excellent. You can't get much money for old nikkor-s anyhow.

regards,

11. epig

epig Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    darkosaric - Hi,

don't sell - just buy new one and keep old one :smile:. I have a bunch of 50mm nikkors, and they are all excellent. You can't get much money for old nikkor-s anyhow.

regards <snip>

I agree, 50's are so cheap, small and sharp. Just keep it (unless some dude with a 4/3's adapter will pay obscene amounts to put it on his camera)!

Eric

12. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me too.