Nikon 80-200 D

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by ChristopherCoy, Aug 18, 2011.

1. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Before I go attaching lenses to cameras, the 80-200 AF-D should work with my FM shouldn't it?

2. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Manual focus "feel" won't be quite the same as an mf zoom. It's almost worth getting a cheap AF body like an N90s or 801s.

Does it have a tripod collar? Asking since there's more lens than camera with the petite FM.

3. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It does have a tripod collar. It's the two ring version. I ask because it's the only non AFS lens we have.

4. Aja B

Aja B Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The lens you cited is perfectly compatible with your FM. The 80-200/2.8 AFS ED-IF is equally compatible as it, too, has an aperture ring. It is the 'G' series of lenses that are incompatible due to the absence of an aperture ring. And any lens with the DX designation is a 'no-go'.

5. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Though focusing manually with standard AF focusing screens means it doesn't snap into focus very well.

A mf body with a good screen/viewfinder will work much better for manual focusing.

6. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And your point is? The 80-200AFD is wonderful on an AF body, more so than with a small MF body which the OP has. It will work OK on an FM.

7. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

AH! Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

8. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A DX lens will focus an image on the film, but you will have to crop it to get rid of the black corners, and I think all DX lenses are G lenses, not sure, so no aperture control with the G lenses either. I had to do this once, and while I got the look I was going for, it was too much of a pain in the long run.

9. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The OP was asking about using that lens on a MF body. It's quite possible that the OP prefers focusing manually (there are many reasons for such a preference, just as AF also has it's uses), in which case the AF models you mentioned would probably not deliver the most accurate focusing.
    My "point" being that AF cameras are generally not an improvement over mf cameras for manual focusing, usually quite the opposite!