Nikon-centric Interneg Workflow

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by LJSLATER, Nov 6, 2012.

1. LJSLATER

LJSLATER Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,

I bought myself a Nikon PB-5/PS-4 combo for my birthday last week. I've been shooting slide film almost exclusively for the past five years or so, but I don't have a single print and I'm not currently interested in scanning/inkjet printing.

I've spent the last two nights photographing some of my slides using the aforementioned PB-5/PS-4 combo coupled with an F2S and a 50mm f/1.8D. The film I'm using for the internegs is Portra 160 and my light source is a 5500K CFL. Anyway, I did some tests using my D200 and it seems that my weak(est) link may be the 50mm f/1.8D. I haven't gotten my film back so I may be jumping the gun (especially considering the fact that the D200 is notoriously finicky when it comes to the lenses you put in front of it).

I do have an EL Nikkor 50mm f/2.8N and I wonder if anyone has used it for duping (or photography at 1:1). Thoughts on duping or the interneg process in general would be appreciated also. Thank you!

LJSLATER

EDIT: As an aside, this is the article that inspired me to try making my own internegs:
    http://web.mit.edu/cai/www/photo/film/interneg.html
    Mr. Cai seems to have dropped off the face of the earth around 2005, but I love his website and his photography.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2012
  2. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I would think any of the 55mm Micro's would work and as well as the EL I would think.

3. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have the PB4+Slide copier setup and have done some capture of slides to negatives. What information are you looking for exactly - how much resolution and color fidelity can you capture?

I also sent some slides to Fuji and they gave me internegs. This wasn't my intention but back then (1990's), in order to get 2" X 30" prints from slides, Fuji would first make an interneg then optically print from it. I'm not sure if they still do this.

4. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Can you do 4x5 internegs?

5. LJSLATER

LJSLATER Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Which lens do like you use to photograph your slides?

It didn't even occur to me, but I suppose I could; I think I remember PE mentioning that's how he makes internegs. I do have a color enlarger, but I guess I'd need a meter. Can you use a regular paper easel to hold the film?

My ultimate goal is to attempt making RA-4 prints at home; unfortunately, I don't see a 4x5 enlarger in my future.