Nikon CLA...

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by FilmOnly, Nov 8, 2011.

1. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an F3P on the way, and I am wondering if anyone could make a recommendation for a thorough, reasonably-priced CLA? On my two FEs, I used APS, but the price (for each) was a rather hefty $160. Are there any alternatives? The F3P is an interesting camera--one I have had my eye on for a while--and I look forward to using it. I am even thinking of loading it with film as soon as I get it--and see what happens. I fear something being out of spec, though, especially the shutter timing. I bought the camera from KEH (who I have been dealing with for years).

2. LyleB

LyleB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've had several Nikons, including a F3HP overhauled by Garry's Camera Repair. Under $70 each, some repairs made, seemed like a very through CLA. Quicker than promised turn-around. Will not hesitate to send more work Garry's way.

http://www.garryscamera.com/

Also been very happy with KEH Repair. In fact, I have two Yashica's with them right now. Their prices are higher, over $100, but their turnaround time was even quicker. Excellent work, doing more than asked.

http://www.keh.com/repair-center.aspx

3. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Jeesh. Wait till you get it and shoot it before robotically packing it off for a CLA. The shutter is quartz-timed and probably accurate till it drops over dead. If you consider $160 steep for a competent CLA, then you'd probably freak at the repair bill a cheapo CLA might deliver later. I'm not a big believer in preventative maintenance on cameras, aside from dimbulb DIY stuff like light seal replacement. If it's OK, then shoot your F3P till it breaks.

4. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I appreciate the replies, especially the one that endorses shooting with the F3P right away. Perhaps I will start looking over some film candidates in my 'fridge. :smile: