Nikon CPU lens question

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by BetterSense, Nov 21, 2009.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought my wife a N75, but the pop-up flash has never worked. Recently she was reading the manual and said that the manual says the built-in flash only works with CPU-lenses. The lens I have is an old 50/1.4 AF Nikkor. The camera pops the flash up and charges it but fails to fire; if it was a matter of incompatibility I would hope the camera would fail more gracefully. Do I need to get a different lens for the flash to work, and if so, what kind?

2. Leighgion

Leighgion Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Any AF Nikkor is a CPU lens far as I know. Do you have no other Nikon lenses that can even be borrowed to try?

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an N75. Yes it needs a lens with a CPU. However, even with a CPU lens the flash will NOT pop up in the Program Mode [P], which I use so that it does not pop up. With a CPU lens it will pop up in the AUTO mode when it thinks the scene is dark enough.

Steve

4. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    CPU lens has electrical contacts on the plastic part of the mount. I think, some earlier auto focus lens were purely mechanical in lens that they weren't considered cpu lens.

5. Dave Pritchard

Dave Pritchard Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think you could use an AF-D lens or an AI-S lens to get flash information to your N75. I think the real issue is the flash feedback from the lens CPU. The lens you need will have five electrical contacts (little bumps) on the mount end of the lens.

6. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ALL AF-Nikkors, even the old ones, have the CPU.