Nikon EM meter

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Gerald Koch, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A couple of weeks ago someone had recently bought a Nikon EM camera and was having trouble getting the light meter to work. This camera has a built in ?feature? in that the meter will not turn on until 2 or 3 frames have been wound off and the frame counter is at 1. If you don't have the instruction book you would not know this. I know of no other camera that behaves this way.

Very nice compact SLR with aperture priority metering. Picked mine up for $60 which included, besides the camera and case, a 300 mm lens and a nylon canvas camera bag.

2. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, the meter in my Nikon FE-2 does not engage until the counter is on 1.

I don't think this is such a rare feature on modern cameras. Both the EM and the FE-2 originated around the time when camera designers were starting to use electronics more agressively. It's gotten to the point where they seem to have the idea that if a feature can be implemented, then the feature that is worth having. My wife just purchased a Nikon Coolpix 5600 digital, and the only thing that I don't think it is capable of doing is preparing an income tax return.

3. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Nikon N50 and FM-10 thankfully do not have this feature. So perhaps this was a short-term aberration.

When I first purchased the EM this feature gave me a bit of grief. I thought the meter was erratic since it didn't always turn on.

4. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think you must be right, my Nikon N80 and Nikon F5 don't do it either.

5. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The FG, built on the same chassis as the EM, has the same quirk. I've never used an FG-20, also built on that chassis, so don't know if it has it too.

6. Robert Kennedy

Robert Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Probably one of those "features" that was soon dropped because of complaints. None of my Nikons have ever done that.

7. Jim_in_Kyiv

Jim_in_Kyiv Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Monophoto - look for the CP-IRS adapter for the digital Nikons. They're supposed to be out just before April 15, I hear. Just don't make a photo of a check for the tax payment, or they might send a photo of handcuffs.

8. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The Nikon FA also has this "feature". :sad:

9. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm... mine's been sitting around for awhile because the meter doesn't work. I think I picked it up for 10 bucks or so. I'll have to take another look at it. Of course, the quality of this camera doesn't compare to my FM2 which I don't use much of anymore so the question might be irrelevant.

Thanks...

tim in san jose

10. sajianphotos

sajianphotos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My F3 does the same thing. Don't know if it's supposed to. I've also noticed with my EM's that a twist back and forth of the aperature ring is sometimes needed to get things going. By the way, I love my EM's. One of the best camera deals on the market in my opinion. But I try to hide them when on a shoot. Or at least keep my thumb over the EM. Pride goeth before the fall.

11. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just aquired a pristine Nikon EM that's been sitting in my father-in-law's closet. It doesn't look like it's had a dozen rolls put through it. Nice little camera.