Nikon F Film Advance Lever Question.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by snegron, Nov 24, 2006.

1. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had not really noticed this before, but there seems to be a bit of wobble or play on the film advance lever of my F. Is this normal? Is this a sign that something is wrong? This is the only F I have, so I can't really compare it to any other. I am hoping other F owners in here will chime in and tell me if this is normal or not. My F2A, F3, and other Nikon SLR's don't have any play or wobble at all. Also, I noticed that it does not wind smooth all the way through. If feels somewhat slippy as I wind the lever. Does this mean that I probably striped a gear or bearing? So far I have not had any problems with the winding mechanism. Even the meter works on this F (FTN Metering head). I just want to know if I need to send it to the repair shop or if this is what F's are supposed to feel like.

2. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry to say it, but it sounds like time for a visit to the shop.

3. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My F3 hp is firm all the way though to the end. Has it been used a lot or older? If the repair is prohibitively high could you consider a motor winder?

4. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could be age...but a trip to your tech would be a prudent move. I have two F's one 42 years old the other 38. Both don't have that problem.

Bill

5. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure of exactly what you are describing. My F has a bit of "takeup" before it begins to engage the film. The lever also wiggles up and down a bit, but I'd expect this kind of play just by the way it's made. Mine, however, does not vary or slip the actual film advance.
    juan

6. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Same thing with mine. It wiggles slightly up and down a bit, film frames all seem to be advanced properly (on the negatives all the frames appear to have equal seperation between frames). The sliping feels like it occurs about halfway through the wind. In other words, starting from the locked position where the film advance lever is locked up against the shutter release button, I move the lever with my thumb to advance the film. The start of the movement feels smooth with the usual slight resistance. Halfway through the process the slight resistance is gone and it feels like a slip before reaching the stopping point. Just before reaching that stopping point it picks up the slight (normal feeling) resistance. The lever springs back to its normal position without a flaw.

The reason I am a bit concerned is that I had a similar problem on an old F3. The film advance lever on the F3 broke to point that the lever advanced but would not spring back on its own to the start position. A couple of technicians checked it out and told me that the repair would be either impossible or it would cost probably more than what I paid for the camera when new. I tried attatching a motor drive to it, but all it did was lock up the camera. I am a bit concerned (hopefully just paranoid) that my F is following the same path.

7. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The F that I have was manufactured in 1971 according to the serial number. To get a motor winder for it I probably would have to get the body modified, then there would be the challenge of actually find a motor winder for it! With the winder, my F would weigh about 5lbs!

8. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your description sounds like the way my Nikon F winds, so I don’t think you have a big problem. But call Pete Smith at FOTOCAMERA, in Lake Worth, Florida at 516-433-8434. He is expert on the F, and will give you some suggestions on the phone.

9. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks! I will do so this week!

10. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The vertical play in an F is normal. There's quite a bit of slop in the wind assembly. The "slip" isn't normal but I don't remember anything in there that would do that since it's a geared system.......unless somehow it's lost a tooth but I doubt it.