Nikon F Prong

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by blind_sparks, Jul 12, 2010.

1. blind_sparks

blind_sparks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Does anyone know where I might find a Nikon F Prong for an old N/Ai lens? The only one on Evil-Bay is going for $15 shipped and that seems a bit excessive...

2. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a lot, for a very simple part, but you could easily spend the 15 in the frustration of trying to find one. You could try looking for complete lenses that are otherwised trashed, perhaps something in "ugly" condition from KEH. Ebay is a possibility there too, but the auction format often defeats trying to get stuff like that for really cheap.
    Making one wouldn't be really difficult, depending on what sort of results you wanted, but the tools will cost way more than 15 $'s if you don't already have them.

3. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You've also got to decide if you want the earlier triangular version or the later version with rounded shoulders. Depends on when the lens was made, and I think N/AI lenses may have had either depending on production year. What price authenticity?

4. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They're where you find them. Aside from buying a junky, fungus-infected beater from the big auction site, you can troll around for the same grade at pawn shops, camera store junk bins, yard sales, thrift shops, whatever. Most people with prong lenses rarely have a camera that actually uses them for metering. Don`t leave home without a screwdriver kit, either.

5. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You might want to look in the junk bins at a local camera store (if that's still an option where you live). Any off-brand Nikon mount lens from the 70s or 80s should still have the prong, and probably won't cost much. I've even asked for prices on some items and been told, "take it, it's yours!"

6. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got an extra prong kicking around (AI type, but it will work for you). I'm on the road at the moment, but shoot me a pm, cover shipping and it's yours.

7. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    KEH also has "AS-IS" stuff on their site but minimum shipping is going to be around $8. Check here first.
    As above you may just want to bite the bullet & spend the $15.

8. blind_sparks

blind_sparks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thank you all for your responses, my search shall continue!

Thanks mudman for your offer, but I'm hoping to find a correct, non-vented prong of the rounder variety. I do have an AI 55mm micro that can donate it's prong for now, thanks for the idea.

9. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If my repairman had bothered to change out the prong on my 135 to the new ai type when he installed the conversion kit, I'd have that for ya, haha. As it is, it's still on the 135.

10. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You could call a repair shop if there's one where you live. Most repairmen have bins full of old parts.

11. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    PM me your add'y. Got one here. $5 shipped sound fair?

-J