Nikon F soft release... Advantages?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by EASmithV, Sep 18, 2009.

1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see many people who use the Nikon F like to use the soft release. I have never had the opportunity of using one, and I was wondering exactly what kind of benefits such a device gives you.

2. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use with the camera in the Tripod.

3. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are talking about the Nikon AR1 soft shutter release It's very effective , I used to have one, by increasing the area the finger presses it enables you to relese the shutter gently, and does what it says on the tin, or do you mean the Nikon AR2 cable release ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2009
  4. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The AR-1 is very useful, especially since the shutter release on the F is located at the back of the top plate, rather than the front like the F2, makes it a bit easier to find quickly, especially if you use F2 or F3. They used to be found new for 10.00 or so, now since discontinued, they go for way more. Nice heavy chrome plated brass, real quality.

5. glockman99

glockman99 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Note, that the AR-1 does NOT work on the F3...It is only for the F1, F2, and Nikkormats.

6. flash26c

flash26c Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Another vote for the AR-1. After using mine for a number of years, I would hate to be without it. One of the rare things that actually works ---

7. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    After a looooong time since the last post I have a question.

AR-1s are not produced any more and I need three of them

Did anyone ever try the cheap AR-1 clones that are available on big auction sites?

8. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They're not as over-engineered as the AR-1 but with one moving part, what's to screw up? Have several on various Nikon bodies and they work fine. Very handy on FM/FE bodies.

9. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have soft releases on all my Nikon F's, and love them. If you use an FTN prism, they also raise the button a little which I find more comfortable.

10. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually I have a few ar-1's from Nikon and 2 of the aftermarket ones.
    I noticed the action on the Nikon ones is better.

11. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is that because it's engraved Nikon?

12. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The plunging action is smoooother.
    You can get the Nikon one for 15 if you watch carefully.
    I wouldn't pay more as quite a few offer them at exorbitant prices.

btw CGW: I bet you're always first on the list when people are making their party invites.
    :tongue:

13. Mark Crabtree

Mark Crabtree Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That was certainly true with the old copies (which weren't even really copies) back from when the F was current and into the FE/FM era. I thought maybe they did a better job today, and I suppose maybe they aren't all the same and CGW's could be good as the Nikon original. The difference was quite noticeable in the old days; sure the cheapies worked, but not well enough that I preferred them over the bare release.

When I got back into F's a number of years ago I was lucky enough to have a friend give/loan me 3 Nikon made soft releases.

14. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yea absolutely Mark, the whole purpose of these things is to allow maybe not less pressure to trip but a smother operation when releasing the shutter.

My guess is the inside where the two cylinders mate/slide isn't machined or finished as well on the aftermarket versions.

I wasn't aware they even would fit an FM/FE. They dont on my FM2. You need the later style that screws into the actual shutter cable release socket in the center of the shutter button.
    Now those later types have no moving parts so there is probably no difference at all if Nikon even made any for the FM2.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2011
  15. UK Roger

UK Roger Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Stock of AR-1`s

Grays of Westminster had a stock last time I was there, they`ve got a mint one advertised for £15 today. I`ve got one on my S3 and it does make shooting easier and smoother.

16. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could you get me 3 or 4?

17. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Guess again.The cheapies I use on FE bodies look/work the same as an AR-1. Hard plastic inside a metal collar that screws into the outer threaded circumference of the shutter button. The AR-1 is just overkill/sucker bait for this application. Those large, threaded, thumb tack-like buttons work on the F3--use an MD-4 and you needn't bother.