Nikon F100 not focusing properly

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by deja, Apr 4, 2010.

1. deja

deja Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have just found an old F100 with a 28-200mm lens and it doesn't want to focus 100%. And when i develop the film it comes out a bit blurry as well, objects comes out but not sharp at all. When i look through the viewfinder the sharpness isn't that good either, i've played with the diopter which improved it to about 90%.

Any ideas on whats going on other than to take it in for a service?

BTW, i can't seem to get the lens to use multi AF, i can slide the switch to it but the AF points doesn't show up and neither can i manually pick the AF point i want – can only use it in centre AF. Is this supposed to be like this?

Cheers.

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you tested it with another lens? Or, when you manually focus, can you get a satisfactorily sharp image in the viewfinder?

By the way, the lens you mention is one I haven't even heard of.

3. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's probably a third party lens. Can you focus manually and see if you can bring subject into a sharp focus? You'll probably want to perform a master reset before messing with settings. There's not telling what custom options are set.

To do this, refer to manual page 76. You can download the manual from Nikon's support page.
    Basically, you push CSM and MODE button simultaneously and hold for 2 seconds.
    Then, Do the same thing again. Release one of the two buttons while CUSTOM is blinking, then press both buttons again.

The first steps will reset settings to a default value. The second steps will clear custom setting.

Welcome to APUG!

4. deja

deja Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No i don't have any other D mount lenses to try with, only have G mount ones. Im going to try this lens on my D80 and see if it work.

5. deja

deja Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ill give that a go, thanks.

The lens i have is this one http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28200af.htm

6. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

I had a similar problem with my F100, but found out it was the lens and not the body. It works fine with another lens, but the contacts on my favorite lens (wouldn't you know?) aren't working correctly. GOod news is it can be fixed.

7. deja

deja Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Damn, i did the reset and it still looked the same.

Just tested this lens on a D80 and its the same result! So its def the lens is borged :sad:

How did you go about fixing it?

8. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    G lenses work with the F100. Try it.

9. deja

deja Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yep sure does, shame i don't have any spare lenses lying around (i just swapped the lens from the D80).

10. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

>>How did you go about fixing it?

I haven't yet. Gotta get the extra $$ to send it off, either to Nikon or SPTS.

11. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the way the O.P. refers to the F100 as "Old" :smile: how old can an F100 be?

12. deja

deja Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    LOL old as in i need to travel just to get my film developed and cost a fortune ><

But soon work is getting a full on mini lab with a negative c-41 developer and film scanner, im going O/S in 2 weeks to inspect the machines and training right after the trade show :D:D:D

13. deja

deja Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ah right, i just put my camera in for it to be calibrated and they said they will have a look at the lens then, original impression from the pro was that the focus is very soft in either AF or manual mode.

14. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I made the remark because it just seemed to me that since my youngest camera is a Canon T90 made in 1986 the Nikon F 100 is the height of all singing all dancing sophistication to me :D