Nikon F2 question

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by cokin, Jul 2, 2010.

1. cokin

cokin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey everyboby,

I wanted to ask a question about the Nikon F2. Is this a good camera? I know only what I've read about it on various sites like mir.com, and others.

The reason I'm asking is, a neighbor of my parents has one he's wanting to sell that regrettably has no lens(it was stored separate from the body for reasons he can't remember, and got ruined). He's not sure what he wants to ask for just the body, and I'm not wanting to gip him by any means.

He said it worked the last time he used it, but it's been years according to him. I haven't had a chance to look at it, as he had to go out of town for the next two weeks.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Edward

2. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Question is not "is it a good" - question should be: is it the best nikon ever made? And answer is: some say yes, some no. But in top 5 of all nikons for sure :smile:

3. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had a Nikon F2. The mechanical quality is almost bulletproof so as long as the lightmeter still working you'll be safe. And like all F series Nikon it has beautiful viewfinder, you'll love it.

4. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It'd be number three for me, right behind the F3HP MD4 and the original F F36 (not used the 4 or 5). Used to have a F2, very solid camera, I just didn't like the feel of it compared to the other two I mentioned. There are a lot of folks that would say it's the best Nikon built.

A better question might be what kinda shape is ithis one in?

Mike

5. kreeger

kreeger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I own an F2. I've owned F2's continuously since about 1979. All I can say is I've never had a problem with any of the F2 or F2A bodies I've had. They are rock solid cameras, they are easily cleaned since they can be completely taken apart and blown out with air. The motor drive system was well engineered and can be added later if desired but the weight is quite the issue - if you want a motor I would recommend the F3HP and MD4 instead.

The viewfinder shows 100% as some folks mentioned. It's the improved version of the Nikon F, and Nikon did a lot of R&D to build something better than the F. Heavy, solid camera... It's the last 35MM SLR I will ever need.

6. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As stated, they are great cameras, and can use an enormous number of lenses. It most likely still works, though you'll want to check if the meter battery leaked if it's still in the camera. Even if it is working, it would be best to get a CLA before putting it to any serious use however. For pricing look at KEH's prices.

7. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Be carefull with the Prism. Most likely needs a CLA

8. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In an as-is state, I wouldn't pay more than $50.

9. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Condition, condition, condition. One of the greatest camera if working correctly. Maybe worth fixing if needed, depending on initial cost, clean, lube, and repair cost. Plenty of first class lens at reasonable prices available.

If someone lives near you that is a Nikon F user, perhaps they can evaluate it with you.

Good Luck.

10. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can use KEH as a pricing guide keeping in mind they do have a mark up in their prices.
    The other thing mentioned is whether or not the meter works. They do have a tendency to fail over time.

11. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Very well made. Somewhat heavy but extremely durable. You'll need to replace the foam seals. These came with different prism heads -- some had meters, some didn't.

Excellent camera, however.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2010
  12. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have owned and used the Nikon F, F2, F3, and F4. All are well build, reliable cameras. I still shoot with three F2s, one of which was purchased in 1971. Two of the bodies have the standard DE-1 non-metered viewfinder and the third body has the non-metered DA-1 sports finder.

If you have need for such a camera, I would not hesitate buying it for a fair price provided it is in good condition.

Did the current owner buy it new or used? When did he buy it? How much did he use the camera? What did he shoot with the camera? How has it been stored? Has it ever been repaired? Is it a chrome body or a black body? If it is a black body, by any chance is it a titanium black body? What is the serial number on the camera?

[​IMG]

13. cokin

cokin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I spoke to his wife and she showed me the camera. No go. Film advance and shutter are trashed.

Thanks for all the replies, and help!

14. Vincenzo Maielli

Vincenzo Maielli Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I own a Nikon F2A chrome and a Nikon F2AS black; both are fantastic performer, build as a tank, absolutely realiable.
    Ciao.
    Vincenzo

15. Deniz

Deniz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    IS there a good how to around the internets to CLA a F2?
    I've opened the bottom and did some work but i would like to really get to the shutter assembly.

16. noumin

noumin Guest

By chance I came across this site a couple of days ago. If you're after repair manuals, it may be worth to have a look.

http://www.lensinc.net/

17. Timestep

Timestep Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Nikon's last "Adult" camera. I still use one, and my wife owns and uses two.

18. Deniz

Deniz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dug into the internet and found some repair manuals, and after 4 hours of cursing, the F2 lives again.

Welcome back friend.