Nikon F2A - film speed dial locked to 200 ASA

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by cmo, Jan 9, 2012.

1. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    In general I understand how to change film speed on a DP-11 finder: lift the ring, turn it, let it snap back. On my DP-11 finder I lift the ring and can't turn it. If I take the finder off the camera I can lift the ring but when I turn it it turns the exposure time ring, too.

Is this a stupid handling error or a defect?

Please, tell me that I am stupid, that will hurt my pride but it costs less than getting the finder repaired... :blink:

2. Clay2

Clay2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the F2AS (DP-12). There is a small pin in centre of dial you have to depress to turn speed selector ring. It froze up on
    me once, but a drop of Zippo lighter fluid fixed it.
    Best regards,
    /Clay

3. Aja B

Aja B Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can't offer anything specific except to say something must be gummed-up inside the dial as you're doing the proper thing to change the film speed: lift and turn. And a point of clarification: the F2A (DP-11 prism) does not have a button in the center of the dial ('Shutter-speed Dial Lock') as found on the F2AS (DP-12 prism) mentioned by Clay.

4. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Verified on my F2A and I am afraid something is wrong with your DP-11 as the ASA should turn freely when lifted up. Easier to do when installed and indexed on the the body, as there is nothing to stop it when not on the body unless you hold it.

5. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dammit... it needs a cure...

6. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Any suggestions how I can fix that by myself?

7. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Could try some Hexane. That's what the guy who works on my gear used on an FTn finder I had a while back. Ring cleaned up enough that it was movable. One that I wish I still had, since the meter worked properly on it with no CdS metering cell issues. Ugly as sin, worked perfectly.

If that doesn't work, then it may be time to send it to Sover Wong, or to buy a finder from him to replace yours with. Maybe a DP-12.

-J

8. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Pardon, what exactly is Hexane?

9. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hexane is a chemical that is frequently used by camera shops to clean sticky goo from parts on cameras. Case in point, I also had an FM2n where the shutter release felt sticky. They disassembled the release button, and cleaned the goo off the button, then reassembled it. Everything worked fine afterward.

-J