Nikon F3: is this quite normal?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by sandermarijn, Mar 13, 2012.

1. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The second curtain of an F3 that I just received (no films shot yet, not by me at least) shows a small depression. Is this something to worry about? Or quite normal for an F3? I have no experience with these cameras at all. Thanks, Sander

f3_shutter_curtain.jpg

2. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not normal but it should still work normally.

3. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't worry about that at all unless it is obviously interfering with shutter operation.
    I've had a few Nikon F's that had a slightly more severe dent/crinkle with no ill effects.

Make sure you keep your thumbs away from the film gate anytime you have the back open to prevent this type of damage in the future.

4. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thumb print. :sad: Should be ok tho. My original F that I bought 45 years ago and well used at the time, had two sharper creases in the curtain, well, 45 years later, it is still working just fine, complete with the creases.

5. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine looks a bit like that too, been working fine for the past ten years.

6. OddE

OddE Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,

I'll just add to what others have said - your new F3 appears to be just fine; it appears that someone has accidentally put their thumb against the shutter when inserting or removing film, though without actually doing any damage to the (Tougher than one would think!) shutter curtain.

Mine, too has got a mark like that - put there as I was loading the 2nd roll of film (as shot by me, that is) into it. Still works a charm, some 19 years and 650+ rolls later.

7. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks guys, I've never asked a question here that got such a consistent set of replies! So that's really comforting.

"Thumb print", never heard that one before. I know cloth shutters and metal ones- the F3 seems to be somewhere in between (?): sort of kinkable, but looks breakable as well.

I *really* like my 'new' F3-non-HP. It feels incredibly tough, tougher than my EOS 1N even. This tactile aspect is more important than I'd be willing to admit to myself.

BTW, this F3 came as defective- not really, just the battery down to 0.08V, must have been in the closet for a while :sad:

8. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    F3 shutter is titanium foil.

9. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Along with it's predecessors, the F2 and F. They are in fact very durable, designed to last at least 150,000 frames.

10. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hummm, that honestly looks like my old F3 I sold 5 years ago, same depression, same place. By any chance does it have a small dent on the top of the finder?

11. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you read the EOS 1N manual it has quite a few precautions about it's shutter curtain stating, "Strongly blowing air onto the curtain may deform or damage it." and "take the picture within 30 seconds after swinging the mirror up to avoid burning the shutter curtain." Nikon F3 uses titanium foil focal plane shutter and does not have the second precaution as the EOS 1N and the rest of the EOS 1 & 3 lineup.

12. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Haha, this thumbprint is more common that you would think.

I choked in the heat of the moment on an assignment once when I was green and put my thumb through an Fm2 shutter. :blink:

Luckily I had a backup body.

13. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This happens, probably with someone less experienced with loading or when loading IR film in a bag or in the dark. I wouldnt worry unless you see it rub or see marks of rubbing on the raised bumps. Test it by going through the faster speeds with some film.

14. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Unfortunately mine happened when I had the camera hanging around my neck while loading film. I had the back open, camera facing lens down about to load when the film canister slipped from my hand and landed dead centre on the shutter. It looked bad, but everything worked fine, no light leaks or any issues since.

15. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No, it doesn't. But then the finders are replaceable so who knows?

16. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a small thing. Most probably works fine. Shoot a roll and decide