Nikon F3/MD4 combo- what camera bag?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by GarageBoy, Aug 9, 2013.

1. GarageBoy

GarageBoy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I know this is a popular combo (F3/MD4) but I can't seem to get a camera bag that it fits into. Suggestions?
    Thanks

2. MSchuler

MSchuler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Camera bag

I have a Tamrac Superlight 48 that I used to use for my F3 and winder (but is now holding my Mamiya TLR). It is very deep, but may not have as much padding as you would like. Not sure that they make this model any more, but similar models should also work.

3. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    With few lenses, Domke F3X, with more lenses F2. Mind the padding or lack of it.

4. jimjm

jimjm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many of the Domkes can handle the F3/MD4 with no problem. Domke F2 can fit 2 bodies/motors with 4-5 lenses, flash and a lot of film; the F6 is a bit smaller - maybe 1 F3/MD4 plus FE or FM body and 3-4 smaller lenses. They don't have much padding except on the bottom, but the canvas is heavy and they tend to mold to the shape of your hip over time. I've never cared for the metal clasps on the flap, but they are very secure when latched and make it difficult for someone to easily reach into your bag on a crowded sidewalk.

5. JimCee

JimCee Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  6. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Billingham 335 and you'll never need to buy another bag ever. Just don't get an heart failure when you see the price: £300 in the UK. It is worth every penny.

7. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Another Domke vote...

I usually have my F3 with MD4, and several lenses, in a Domke F3x that has many thousands of miles on it. It's a great bag. Sometimes I use a Domke 803 satchel with inserts, but that means taking the lens off to stow the camera.

8. ArtO

ArtO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a large Tamrac - don't remember the model name but it will hold two F3HPs and 5 or six extra lenses. Mine is from the 80s and is still in great shape.

9. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the Domke F2. I carry (typically) an F6 (or F5) and an F3HP/MD4-MK1 (or an F2AS/MD2) and four or five lenses in mine (along with a couple of rolls of film and, on occasion, a selection of filters). These bags are well- padded and well-constructed (mine is a decade-and-a-half old and still looks pretty good...all things considered). Of course, on the other hand, if you have too much disposable income, you could always check into a Billingham ( the equivalent to the F2 - size-wise - will run you around $500 and change, with shipping).

10. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had a Billingham 335 for about 25 years, and I also have a Domke F 2 , with the same gear in each the Domke is about half the weight.

11. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ben,
    How about protection from a typical English shower? I had a Domke bag briefly (borrowed) and was concerned about water entering, not to speak about the lack of padding where you put the camera.

12. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not a problem, Ricardo - neither issue. I've been carrying F3/MD4 in Domke F2 since the 1980's, including in English showers, with no such concerns.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013
  13. Ap507b

Ap507b Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am using a Naneau Pro bag at the moment. Lovely bag. Well padded & deep but found out the hard way that the metal work was weaker on the strap that I would have expected.

I had the buckles unbend on me as I was running down a railway platform with a F3 & MD4, an F5, around half a dozen lenses & a couple of flashes in it. The gear survived OK apart from a small dent in the F3 prism caused by something that was on top of it which was a relief.

Probably more a case of me overloading perhaps? I have replaced the broken buckles with carabina's from an army surplus shop & the bag has given years of further service.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    My original Domke F-2, loaded up with an F3P with MD-4, an FM2n with MD-12, and a bunch of lenses. Click on the pic to see exactly what was loaded up.

[​IMG]

-J

16. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The cotton canvass has a waterproof treatment and cotton fibres swell when wet that helps to keep out normal rain showers, in torrential rain what I do is what Jim Domke recommends, carry a big black refuse bag and put it in and tie it up, or you can make a bag cover out of waterproof nylon if you want.You can buy additional inserts if you wish for the camera http://www.amazon.co.uk/Domke-FA-21...qid=1376169167&sr=1-10&keywords=domke+inserts but I prefer it without because it moulds to my body,and the contents of the end and front right hand pocket protect the camera from knocks. The F2 isn't meant to be bulletproof it's prime purpose is to be a shooters bag and I've found it the easiest bag to work from with it over my shoulder with 2 camera bodys and several lenses I've ever had. They do make a ballistic nylon version the J2 which is more waterproof, but it's only available in black, I prefer the natural feel of the breathable heavy cotton canvass. Domke bags unfortunately cost about twice the price in the U.K they do the U.S.A, but beware of cheap fakes from the Far East on auction sites the market is flooded with them http://www.domkebags.co.uk/registerYourDomke.php

17. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Brian and Ben! Appreciated your comments and advice.

18. GarageBoy

GarageBoy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks
    I'm not a fan of the lack of padding on the Domke, and the one floating around my house has an insert where the foam completely melted
    Cannot afford a Billingham...

I wish Tenba was still around (old, classic, Made in Brooklyn, Tenba)

19. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is always Tamrac - made in the USA (unless one buys a model with a 4-digit model number, which is made in China I believe).

20. Vilk

Vilk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Domke F2 and you'll never need to buy another bag ever (you won't need to, but you'll be buying them anyway :laugh:). Get four for the price of one Billingham--or a dozen if you factor in the cost of heart medication.

Now that, of course, only if you care for "that look"--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30341494@N07/2848491143/in/pool-domke|30341494@N07

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30341494@N07/3830673318/in/pool-domke|30341494@N07

21. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  22. ArtO

ArtO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is the modern equivalent of my old Tamrac bag. Two F3HPs with md4s. Two F4Ss and five or six additional lenses/adapters. I used to carry my F4S along with an Vivitar 283, film, batteries, 3 lenses and an FM2 with three lenses. Never have had a problem with that bag. Rain, snow, sleet, etc.

http://www.tamrac.com/products/pro12/

23. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  24. ArtO

ArtO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you're right on that one John. I haven't purchased one since the late 80s and since it's still going strong don't intend to but it used to be a terrific price-performer.

25. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How much does that lot weigh ?, I carry 2 Canon F1's,three lenses and a lightmeter in a Domke F2 bag, and it's about the maximum I can carry and still be in a physical state to use them when I get to the location without being exhausted.

26. GarageBoy

GarageBoy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The 612 is 5lb 5oz