Nikon F3 price?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Eralen, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Eralen

Eralen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm shopping around online for a used Nikon F3, not sure if the one I've found is a good deal

Nikon F3HP body - $124
    Condition is described as "Shows signs of moderate wear and/or usage."
    They do not have a picture of it

Nikon 50mm f/1.8 Ai - $134
    Condition is described as "May show signs of light wear and/or usage."

I'm also watching an auction for a DW3 finder in excellent (near mint) condition - I would not wish to pay over $60, if it exceeds this price, I will purchase one from KEH. These seem to be hard to find.

I must have cross-checked 4 different camera sites about 10 times and i still can't decide.

I'm also considering a Nikon FE for $74. I'd love an F3 with WLF for candid shots, but the FE is smaller and cheaper with similar features. Everyone in the room seems to notice when I pick up my camera to take a photo, making it difficult to capture them naturally.

What do you guys think?

2. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The body sounded good, the 50mm 1.8 AI sounded a little stiff, Fe sounded good also.

3. Eralen

Eralen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    dehk, I thought so too. There's one selling on ebay for about $110 in similar condition.

DSC_0419.JPG

Not sure if the marks on the lens are scratches or just dust?

4. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look like dust. To be honest if you're looking for a 50 1.8 Manual focus, Series E Nikkor 50 1.8 are actually absolutely good too, and probably cheaper. If you are a subscriber here you can post on WTB (want to buy) thread I am sure someone has one to sell here. I gave my other series E 50 1.8 away quite sometime ago, I got an extra AF 50 1.8, which I am pretty sure you don't want.

5. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Forget the F3 as described. No pix=a deal breaker for me, always. Clean, low rollage F3 bodies are less common now. If you want one, wait and/or pay more. F3+DE2 kits are always cheaper than F3HP(DE3) kits. I have both and actually prefer the DE-2. YMMV.

Too much for a 50/1.8Ai. The 50/1.8E is usually way less and just as good.

The FE is very sweet. Often available in very nice shape since most were amateur-owned and saw relatively little use/abuse compared to the far pricier F3. Ever try shooting vertical with a WLF???

6. Eralen

Eralen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great advice. For some unknown reason, I was avoiding the E series lenses. Might have been some subconscious thing. I'll probably go for the FE and 50 1.8E. Extra features of the F3 would be nice but I don't really need them.

Thanks guys!

7. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You will love the FE. I shoot that more than my F4, and I actually have a WLF on the F4.

8. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you can find one, the 100/2.8E is killer. FE+50/1.8E+100/2.8E=a near-perfect flyweight kit.

9. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The E series lenses are nice, light and quite sharp. The 50mm 1.8 E matches very well with the smaller Nikons such as the FE. I had it in the past on a EM and boy was that a tiny package, also silky smooth film advance. The person who I have lent it to now who is learning really likes it as well.

Smooth film advance on the F3 is very nice as well and is perk just like the EM. I got mine for about $70 but it was in pretty beat up brassed shape. Still worked though.

You can techinally use it by taking off the prisim to get the waist level finder effect instead of purchasing the DW3. I also remember that there was a better magnified waist level attachment for more critical focusing and eye relief as there was a eyecup rest.

10. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    F3 is a nicer camera than the FE, but the latter is not a bad camera by any means. If it were me I'd get an F3 but would want to see it first.

11. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ihave 2 F3. One FH and one with motor. Many, many years. Never a problem. In terms of the Nikkor f/1.2; I can use it with any camera, included Digital

12. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both the F3 and FE, and recommend one of each. Prefer the regular lens vs the E lens although i have one also. I sometimes use a wide lens and shoot from the hip, most people don't notice. Practice will increase your aim, just as it does for gunslingers.:D

13. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's exactly what I do as well. 24mm zone focused and shoot with the camera hanging by neck. Very stealth.

14. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    134$ for an F3HP is a good price if the camera is in good working condition. You might not need the HP finder but if you wear glasses get it.
    When i bought my F3 (used in the mid 80's) i did not wear glasses now i do and i recently bought an HP finder for the camera.
    For what it's worth, i recently sold a 9+ FE for 91$ and a 50 1.8E for 41$ The E lens is nice and small but if you think you are going to use it a lot go with the more sturdy 50 1.8 or the older 50 2.0
    I now have the F, F2, F3HP, F4 and F5 and love them all. The F was just completely overhauled and is working as new. = Sweet.

15. sangetsu

sangetsu Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The FE is probably the best Nikon SLR for the money now. I prefer how the FE meters compared to the F3, and, when shot in Auto mode, the FE has a far wider range of shutter speeds. The F3 is more durable, and has interchangeable finders, but few of us beat on cameras enough or change viewfinders enough to make these features necessary. I like the 50/1.8 AIS pancake lens (similar to the series E), the 28/2.8 AIS, and the 50/1.2 AIS (which is the sharpest of my 50mm lenses when stopped down to f/1.4 or f/2). I also like the 20/2.8 AIS for super wide shooting.

16. eurekaiv

eurekaiv Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Compared to what an F3 costs, I'd recommend an FE2 for the extra stop in shutter speed (2 extra stops compared to an FE) and lighter weight. Of course no changing finders and all that jazz, and if you need durability, an F3 is a tank. Otherwise, the FE and FE2 are nearly identical in terms of handling. As mentioned above, y certainly ou can't beat the price of a used FE though. I've picked up (and passed along) a couple silver ones for next to nothing in the last few months. I even saw a reasonably nice looking black FE2 at Samy's Camera for $80 but didn't buy it even though I probably should've. I was swimming in guilt for even considering it but mostly because my wife was present at the time. Had I been alone on the other hand... :whistling: