Nikon F4 opinions?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Markok765, May 16, 2009.

1. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    :sad: My F5 is totalled [shooting in the pouring rain=a camera that smells like burnt electronics] so I now need a new camera.
    I'm not too sad about it, but rather am excited to try a new camera.

I'm considering the F4. The F5 was kind of too much camera, features that I never used, like the 8FPS film advance. I also prefer that the F4 seems quite a bit lighter than the F5, and it has the awesome manual controls VS the screens in the F5. I also don't need more than one focus point. I would miss the AF-ON button on the back, but thats it.

My choices are another BGN F5 at $300 or a EX F4s at $350.
    What do you think?

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you using manual or autofocus lenses? I'd get a BGN F4s .

3. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm using AF-D lenses. Oh, also, will my SB600 work with the F4s? The BGN F5 I had definitely showed med/heavy signs of use, including a broken motor drive mode selector lock, so I would like EX, as it looks almost new.

4. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    While you're making up your mind why not try an N80 off of eBay for $50-75 with 28-80 zoom lens?

I would find one to try out before you make up your mind. I think you actually need to hold it and shoot it to really know.

5. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I may be able to borrow a N90s from a friend for a bit, as my other working cameras, Olympus XA and stylus epic, don't look pro enough to get me into some events as a photographer :D

6. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you want to look legit you need a 4x5. Nobody questions your photographic ability with a cambo and dark cloth. Yashicamats look legit too.

7. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yikes, it's hard to kill an F5. I know pros who used them for a decade and they were still going at the end.

Your cameras seem to have high mortality rates, so to me that implies spending less, not more. And I see little point in spending equal amounts for an inferior but better-condition camera if it's going to be dead in a year or two.

8. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Indeed, though 35mm is just a bit easier for the situations that I'm shooting :D

Jim, this is the first camera I've broken, and I shouldn't have used it in a downpour I guess.

9. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    eh I've used camera's in downpours, its more of how you protect the camera during the weather, not the weather itself. I'd probably go for another F5. I think it'll last longer under your abuse.

10. Paul VanAudenhove

Paul VanAudenhove Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Marko, I'm assuming you want to stay with Nikon. In that case I think you should look at the F100, if you want to replace many of the features of your F5. Or, look into an F3 and pick up a flash bracket for it to give you that old style press photographer look.

And I agree with Jim, in this case spending less is more.

11. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would go with the F3, but my flash is made for AF Nikon cameras. I'm thinking I'll buy a Leica III and a N90s.

12. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Didn't you kill a Spotmatic a year or two ago?

13. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The meter broke, the camera still works.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. nyoung

nyoung Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Best thing about the F4 is that its the Nikon "rosetta stone" in terms of bridging the gaps between all the Nikkor lenses and some other accessories.
    If you aren't looking to preserve your ability shoot lenses from the 60s along with the current AF-S types and you liked the F5, another F5 or an Exc F100 makes more sense.

16. flash26c

flash26c Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would go along with the F100 as I think it's the best value in cameras right now except for one thing: if you killed an F5, the F100 doesn't have the rear seal that the F5 has. Yes, your SB-600 will work on the F4. I have both an F100 and a F4 and I use the F4 more; it just feels good - all controls are in the right place for me. You should try out as many of these cameras to find the one you like the best, buy it, and use it! Maybe invest in some rain gear next time out in the elements; of course, it is a good excuse to buy another camera-------

17. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not to sound like "I told you so" but there is no excuse for losing a camera to rain...rain covers are easily available and cheap. The cheapest insurance policy you'll buy, apart from filters!

I'd suggest keeping room in the budget for this. I know they've saved my keester a few times.

18. NavyMoose

NavyMoose Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you looked into shooting medium format? Once I discovered how nice it is to have a larger negative, I haven't touched a 35mm camera. The F100 was my last 35mm camera and it was wonderful.

19. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I considered MF for a while, but the camera size and features don't really suit my style of photography. In addition, the camera and films are a lot more expensive, and I don't normally enlarge past 11x14.

20. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Marko,

You could probably get a Pentax, Mamiya, or Bronica 645 SLR for not much more than a Nikon F5.

Tom.

21. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tom,

Those cameras are nice, but they just don't suit my style of shooting, they're a bit too large, and I already have Nikon lenses and a flash.

Marko

22. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Too large? Not sure about the Mamiya but both the Pentax and the Bronica 645 are lighter or no heavier then my F4s. The F4s is wider. At least it feels that way. A Bronica ETRSI with just the WLF and normal is a fairly small and light package. Of course you'll have to hand crank it like a phone -)

23. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Bronica ETRSI looks nice, but I gotta say I just prefer the advantages of 35mm.

24. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been lurking here gathering information. I'm considering a F4 myself. I have only a F2 and F3 at this point with all non autofocus lenses. The natural step up for me seems to be the F4 as I'm not going to get anymore lenses.

I want to shoot slides and I'm wondering if the shutter on the f4 may be a bit more accurate when compared to the F3 shutter.

25. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The shutter on the F3 should be accurate, as accurate as the F4. The F5 has a shutter monitor however.

26. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Last time I saw an F4 I couldn't believe how big it looked compared to my Bronica ETRS.

I remember thinking it was a very large camera just to produce a postage stamp sized negative!

Steve.